2012 NFL Color Changes

TruColor

Just received 31 of the 32 NFL teams' updated logosheets (sorry, I really can't share these), and there are a number of subtle color changes in the mix. I will detail the changes soon, but here's a brief, albeit incomplete rundown:

• Most teams that use Silver are making a slight color change.
  • The Saints are reverting back to a previous shade of Old Gold, and somewhat standardizing the Golds. Sort of.
  • The Chiefs are reverting back to their previous Red.
  • The Cowboys still have the same number of multiple Silvers and Blues, although the Royal Blue on the home uniform has been modified, as has the Silver used in the road unis.
  • The Vikings are reverting to a previously used Purple. However, I'm guessing that the vast majority of people didn't even know it had been changed before last season.
  • The Browns are keeping their custom shade of Brown (it was a Reebok creation).
  • The Buccaneers are keeping their custom shade of Pewter (it was also a Reebok creation), but also specifying the original Pantone color that was initially used.
  • A couple of the teams using Metallic Gold are modifying the color.

There are a number of uniform modifications that I will expand upon if it looks safe to do so.

Sorry to be so guarded with this stuff; we've all seen what can happen if one gets out-of-control with putting too much out there (I'm guilty of that myself.)

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do these color changes apply to the helmets as well? or are we going to see some slightly mismatched colors? (updated uniforms/logos but with old helmets)

I would think so, but I'm not sure how standardized Pantone values match to the paint being applied to the helmets. Someone with more knowledge on helmet production could possibly answer that.

[*]The Vikings are reverting to a previously used Purple. However, I'm guessing that the vast majority of people didn't even know it had been changed before last season.

this is a bit confusing. do you mean people didn't know it was a different purple before last season, or that they changed the purple last season. because they changed their purple to what they had last season when they got their new uniforms in '06.

Untitled.png

[*]The Vikings are reverting to a previously used Purple. However, I'm guessing that the vast majority of people didn't even know it had been changed before last season.

this is a bit confusing. do you mean people didn't know it was a different purple before last season, or that they changed the purple last season. because they changed their purple to what they had last season when they got their new uniforms in '06.

I'm referring to the print colors...since 1980 or so, when the NFL started designating Pantone values for their colors, the Vikings' Purple changed in 1997, in 2002, in 2010, and then again for 2012.

However, I should mention that the fabric/textile has been a custom Reebok color since 2006.

Just received 31 of the 32 NFL teams' updated logosheets (sorry, I really can't share these), and there are a number of subtle color changes in the mix. I will detail the changes soon, but here's a brief, albeit incomplete rundown:

• Most teams that use Silver are making a slight color change.
  • The Saints are reverting back to a previous shade of Old Gold, and somewhat standardizing the Golds. Sort of.
  • The Chiefs are reverting back to their previous Red.
  • The Cowboys still have the same number of multiple Silvers and Blues, although the Royal Blue on the home uniform has been modified, as has the Silver used in the road unis.
  • The Vikings are reverting to a previously used Purple. However, I'm guessing that the vast majority of people didn't even know it had been changed before last season.
  • The Browns are keeping their custom shade of Brown (it was a Reebok creation).
  • The Buccaneers are keeping their custom shade of Pewter (it was also a Reebok creation), but also specifying the original Pantone color that was initially used.
  • A couple of the teams using Metallic Gold are modifying the color.

There are a number of uniform modifications that I will expand upon if it looks safe to do so.

Sorry to be so guarded with this stuff; we've all seen what can happen if one gets out-of-control with putting too much out there (I'm guilty of that myself.)

Thanks for sharing what you can. I'm eager to learn more about the Saints.

gYH2mW9.png

Have you seen the actual unis or are these like style guide sheets with color squares? If you've seen the unis and are at liberty to say, do the Saints still have the solid black pants stripe? When you say a previous shade of Old Gold, is it the original '67 shade or one of the countless iterations since? The gold at the unveiling didn't look any different, are the changes notable enough to be apparent once the unis are on the field? Don't you hate when you get some info like this and then get peppered with questions? Sorry, that was another question, wasn't it? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Are there any notable changes to the Broncos colors? The orange looked different to me.

It's the same in print, but keep in mind that Nike will be using their own set of fabric colors...there certainly could be some slight variations from Reebok to Nike.

Have you seen the actual unis or are these like style guide sheets? If you've seen the unis and are at liberty to say, do the Saints still have the solid black pants stripe? When you say a previous shade of Old Gold, is it the original '67 shade or one of the countless iterations since?

I've just seen the style guide sheets, which means that they may or may not be 100% accurate with what will be worn on the field. However, the new Nike graphic template is much more accurate than the old sheets, including the on-field style sheets. The Saints' Gold pants do indeed have a Black stripe. The "Classic" uniforms remain as well; although the shade of Gold changed.

As far as the Saints' shade of Gold goes, it's the variation they used from 1994-2001. It's a "blended" metallic - meaning it's a combination of metallic Silver along with percentages of Yellow 012 and Orange 021.

I'll post my infamous color swatch images on the changes once I finally get everything updated.

looks to me like the Ravens purple is a different shade. truth?

Keep in mind, that Nike is using standard colors as well on Uniforms, and on-field gear. There may be very slight variations from what Reebok has used in the past. I'm sure many people will think colors have changed every-so slightly. But in the end, that's the rigors of producing consistent color across all mediums...

As far as the Saints' shade of Gold goes, it's the variation they used from 1994-2001. It's a "blended" metallic - meaning it's a combination of metallic Silver along with percentages of Yellow 012 and Orange 021.

I'm excited for the Saints' color change, mostly because the severely mismatched golds these past few years have been one of my pet peeves. Plus, although I would prefer the darker old gold used on their throwbacks, the lighter late-90s gold doesn't look too shabby:

GM2fs.jpg

For comparison (thanks, Donovan!), here is the current shade of gold and the 1994-2001 shade of gold:

NewOrleansSaints_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.pngNewOrleansSaints_FRC_2000_SCC_SRGB.png

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I'm excited for the Saints' color change, mostly because the severely mismatched golds these past few years have been one of my pet peeves. Plus, although I would prefer the darker old gold used on their throwbacks, the lighter late-90s gold doesn't look too shabby:

For comparison (thanks, Donovan!), here is the current shade of gold and the 1994-2001 shade of gold:

I just generated the new color swatches. Those of you who hate the mismatched Golds are still going to be unhappy.

And the new Gold for the "Classic" uniforms are a downgrade.

Archived