2012-13 soccer kits

Saintsfan

Thought Cardiff had cancelled plans to change to red shirts and dragons (meant to appeal more to asian market - new owners are malaysian). Wow

_60716646_cardiff_rebrand_combo624.jpg

full story here

Really can't see the point of this. Are Asian fans really more likely to follow Cardiff if they were red? Seems a strange notion to me.

most popular teams in asia: liverpool, manchester united and arsenal

what do they all have in common?

8026825156_0d03b8c868.jpg6864286734_be379a26d2_n.jpg

My fantasy teams: West Coast Cardinals (WRU), Glasgow Claymores (RLI) (Champions 2012) and Pemberton Foresters (VBL)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Cardiff had cancelled plans to change to red shirts and dragons (meant to appeal more to asian market - new owners are malaysian). Wow

full story here

Really can't see the point of this. Are Asian fans really more likely to follow Cardiff if they were red? Seems a strange notion to me.

They're the 3 biggest clubs in English football. ;)

full story here

That they are/have been successful. There is no evidence they are popular because of the red. I don't suppose Middlesboro or Rotherham United have much of a following in Asia!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

full story here

thisisnotapelusomic.jpg

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

If you owned a European club that wore pink shirts, and you wanted to expand your merchandising into the United States, don't you think you'd look at a color change?

Don't like this at all, but the Red Dragon looks pretty good on a badge.

If you owned a European club that wore pink shirts, and you wanted to expand your merchandising into the United States, don't you think you'd look at a color change?

Typical Malaysian cultural imperialism! What's next, are we all going to be eating at McNasi Lemak? :P

jazzsig4

I HATE THIS TIMELINE

Is there any chance blue is unlucky or bad in Asian cultures? If that's the case it makes sense, but if it was true they probably wouldn't keep the blue change. More likely riding the united Liverpool arsenal coattails.

Love the checkerboard armbands on PSV!

Don't have a pic but the fulham aways were just released. Not a fan at all, disappointed. Now I really want Clint Dempsey to go to a bigger club.

Those psv kits are beautiful.

Chelsea aways are meh, look like a cleaned uP Spain away.

Don't have a pic but the fulham aways were just released. Not a fan at all, disappointed. Now I really want Clint Dempsey to go to a bigger club.

article-2155253-1379B11C000005DC-831_468x470.jpg

I don't think they're that bad.

Is there any chance blue is unlucky or bad in Asian cultures? If that's the case it makes sense, but if it was true they probably wouldn't keep the blue change.

I think it's more about red being a favored color than anything about blue.

The Malaysian national team uses blue as its change kit:

malaysia.jpg

Actually I am not sure I would. The most important part of merchandising any sports team globally is success. Cardiff aren't going to sell in Asia because they are a good to middling championship team, not because of the color of the shirt they play in. Indeed if a team wore a pink shirt it would be easily identifiable. Success and an identifiable look are what sell sports uniforms in foreign markets. By going the red route, Cardiff have made themselves less easily identifiable, and aren't a succesful team.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The new owners of the club disagree with you. And I think I do as well.

I suspect they're counting on identity politics to sell their club in Asia. I don't know how well that will work, but I do know that many Americans follow Fulham not because they're a middling Premier League side, or even because their matches are easy to see in the States, but because they have arguably the most high-profile American player outside MLS.

"less easily identifiable"? They're bloody Cardiff City. How "identifiable" are they outside Wales?

And I definitely disagree with you about our hypothetical pink shirts. Any European club wanting to make the US a centerpiece of their marketing would be well-advised to change them to something most Americans find more pleasing to wear about town. Not saying it's right, or that I approve, but facts are what they are.

Is Andrew failing to disclose something?

In that post, yes.

Regardless, the fact that you're trying to make this about him, without addressing the actual facts of the situation, doesn't speak well to whatever point you're trying to make.

I am not making it about him at all. I made my point about his point of view and then I posted about the facts of the situation (which, conveniently, no one has responded to). Companies do this ALL THE TIME. Adidas has done it multiple times in recent memory and I don't remember him lashing out at them for doing so.

Can you think of any examples of this happening?

I already listd 2. Solomon and Greg Norman.

Did adidas pull valuable athletes or team contracts from those two subsidiaries before selling them off? (Honest question, because unless that happened, it's apples and oranges)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Is Andrew failing to disclose something?

In that post, yes.

Regardless, the fact that you're trying to make this about him, without addressing the actual facts of the situation, doesn't speak well to whatever point you're trying to make.

I am not making it about him at all. I made my point about his point of view and then I posted about the facts of the situation (which, conveniently, no one has responded to). Companies do this ALL THE TIME. Adidas has done it multiple times in recent memory and I don't remember him lashing out at them for doing so.

Can you think of any examples of this happening?

I already listd 2. Solomon and Greg Norman.

Did adidas pull valuable athletes or team contracts from those two subsidiaries before selling them off? (Honest question, because unless that happened, it's apples and oranges)

I don't know and don't care, to be honest. It's never going to be a perfect comparison. My profession is based on finding differences in 2 sitautions that seem exactly the same so we could keep going in circles if you want.

What should Nike have done? Cost it shareholders value by selling off a company with some valuable assests just because you thought it was the right thing to do? It's not like the buyer of Umbro won't know. Or that City didn't know. Or that City couldn't switch back to Umbro at the end of their current contract if they want to.

Archived