Mis-matching home and road unis

Blue Falcon

It always bugs me when some team has home and road uniforms that don't incorporate the same elements. Feel free to add yours, but my most egregious example would be the 1989-95 Arizona Cardinals:

1995arizonab.png

The road (white) uniforms have the Arizona state flag, sleeve stripes with logos, TV numbers on the shoulders, and black borders to the red numbers on the jersey. :grin:

The home (red) uniforms? Plain red jersey with white numbers. No stripes, borders, state logo, or TV numbers on the shoulders. BO-RING. :mad:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say the Giants uniforms bother me the most. It's not even the striping. I'm actually okay with having a solid jersey, and striped jersey to enhance the road look, but the road jersey does not have a hint of blue.

It bothers me a ton because the old road jerseys were just fine, and looked great. I also cannot stand those tri-striped pants they have--which are apparently the only pants they will wear this year

Can we also include mis-matched uniforms that we like? I don't think that's worth its own topic.

Canadiens60.png

I've always loved the Canadiens' jerseys.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'd say the Giants uniforms bother me the most. It's not even the striping. I'm actually okay with having a solid jersey, and striped jersey to enhance the road look, but the road jersey does not have a hint of blue.

This. It annoys me so much, and takes away from what would be a great set. Just replace the red with blue, or blue with red accents, or red with blue accents, or anything other than just straight red, and it'd be an improvement.

spacer.png

It bothers me that the Detroit Tigers use orange on the road.

I would like to see them drop the orange and go back to this look.

I this this would be using a throwback just to use a throwback. The orange looks fine and makes sense on a team called the Tigers.

And about that Arizona flag, I don't see how that's wrong but it's an unwritten rule to write the team name at home but the city name on the road. Everyone in Arizona knows that the Cardinals are representing Arizona. They could have added more stuff to the red jersey, but the problem isn't with the mismatching.

The Minnesota Wild have three good uniforms, but none of them match....

Their original green was the best tho.

The Wild's uniforms would be forgivable if not for the fauxback. Get rid of that and the non-matching uniforms aren't that bad.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Agree with the mismatch, disagree with the solution. Orange on both.

The Tigers home jersey is considered a classic and I just don't think you can mess with it by adding orange.

Some thin orange trim could be added in a tasteful manner without disrupting the "classic" image of the Tigers' home whites. They could also then wear the orange D cap at home AND on the road. Picking one standard D to use would also improve things. Just because a uniform is "classic" doesn't mean it can't be subtly tweaked.

BTW, I hate mismatched uniforms in all cases EXCEPT for when a baseball team wears the cap logo at home and the city name on the road.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The Wild's uniforms would be forgivable if not for the fauxback. Get rid of that and the non-matching uniforms aren't that bad.

...because Minnesota has no hockey heritage at all, of course.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

...because Minnesota has no hockey heritage at all, of course.

But the franchise has no connection to the North Stars and there's nothing about that uniform that says "North Stars" to me. If you won't/can't do something that properly honors that heritage, then just don't bother.

Archived