Unrealized Stadium Concepts

NJTank

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This really is one of the best postings I've ever seen here. Fantastic job, Tank.

I kept looking at the proposed Portland stadiums. The ballparks themselves looked kind of so-so. Nice, but nothing spectacular. But imagine a MLB team moving to Portland, and they have a ballpark with a view of Mount Hood. Wow! That would be so awesome.

I wonder what the attitude to roofed stadia would be today if all those domes were built in the 1960s.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Especially if Boston built one. Could you guys imagine?

Also, one thing I noticed is that the game All-Star Baseball 2005 used about 3 of these as model stadiums for expansion team stadiums. Like, the domed Mets one, Marlins Bicentennial, and Early 00s DC can be used in the game.

I wonder what the attitude to roofed stadia would be today if all those domes were built in the 1960s.

In the US, or elsewhere? Today, most new stadiums built outside of the USA and Canada are built with full roofs or coverings over the stands. Issues with nearly all of those facilities focus on the ability to grow grass. The artificial lighting systems on the fields did not come into vogue until Amsterdam ArenA was built.

It would most likely depend on the materials used. Materials are improved from what was to be used in the late 60's/early 70's, but controlling the climate (if needed) would still have have. The original KC plan was just for the roof to just repel rain and snow, not for it to be an environment fully climate-controled. Plus, they were not going to use Teflon, rather steel/concrete or just a metal roofing.

This site is honestly so cool. Really interesting stuff

Also, how is this not a real ballpark? I love it, so much better than the Coliseum of Infinite Foul Territory

Oak1.jpg

Landowners on the site didn't want to sell and the Oakland city leadership didn't want to eminent domain them out.

Also, how is this not a real ballpark? I love it, so much better than the Coliseum of Infinite Foul Territory

Oak1.jpg

Landowners on the site didn't want to sell and the Oakland city leadership didn't want to eminent domain them out.

I mean, yeah. I assumed there was some sort of legal barrier. But just damn, look at that park, its awesome. Something about the parks that look like they were squeezed into a random city neighborhood just really excites me. It's a shame there arent more/any being built lately.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Is there a web site for unused football stadium concepts?

Nothing that I'm aware of and I'm not sure there would be as many.

I feel like with football stadiums "the you seen one you've seen them all" quote applies alot more then in baseball. Not saying that's the case but I've been to Gillette and Giants Stadium which are close to 30 years apart in terms of when they were built and while Gillete I would say was by far the nicer stadium I didn't feel like it blew Giants Stadium out of the water or anything. I'm sure you probably would feel alot different if you were a Bengals or an Eagles fan (teams that moved from multi purpose stadiums to football only stadiums) and seeing said teams at those two stadiums has been your only football experience. But in terms of sight lines and overall stadium experience and things like that I didn't really see that much of a difference between Gillette and Giants Stadium. Compare that to pre renovated Fenway and post renovated Fenway where it was like night and day. Or Camden Yards to a place like the SkyDome. Polar oppposties in terms what each facility is going for.

I just feel like you can't do as much with football stadiums as you can with ballparks, or that there isn't as much of a creative investment in football stadiums as there is with ballparks, or maybe even a little bit of both.

Oak1.jpg

I mean, yeah. I assumed there was some sort of legal barrier. But just damn, look at that park, its awesome. Something about the parks that look like they were squeezed into a random city neighborhood just really excites me. It's a shame there arent more/any being built lately.

I feel the opposite. Parks that look designed to squeeze into city blocks, but are really built in open suburbs just come off as contrived messes to me.

As for this park, it's just too enclosed. I get what they were trying to do with the hotel / apartments (right?) but they really made it look cramped by jamming all that crap into the OF.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Oak1.jpg

I feel the opposite. Parks that look designed to squeeze into city blocks, but are really built in open suburbs just come off as contrived messes to me.

As for this park, it's just too enclosed. I get what they were trying to do with the hotel / apartments (right?) but they really made it look cramped by jamming all that crap into the OF.

Says the guy who's name is "BringBackTheVet". :P

oBIgzrL.png

Oak1.jpg

Oh, that's exactly why I love it. Build the stadium into the city. Why not have a building be the center field wall? I love the unique aspect it creates. I want my ballpark to feel homey and comfortable while still maintaining the open feeling. Wrigley does a good job of this, and I think more ballparks should try.

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

Oak1.jpg

Oh, that's exactly why I love it. Build the stadium into the city. Why not have a building be the center field wall? I love the unique aspect it creates. I want my ballpark to feel homey and comfortable while still maintaining the open feeling. Wrigley does a good job of this, and I think more ballparks should try.

The two biggest issues I see with that stadium are that there really isn't an effective batter's eye, and that because there is no gap between the field and the building, either there is a 50+ foot centrefield wall, or there will be a painted line somewhere which will make HR call really, really annoying to deal with.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Also, one thing I noticed is that the game All-Star Baseball 2005 used about 3 of these as model stadiums for expansion team stadiums. Like, the domed Mets one, Marlins Bicentennial, and Early 00s DC can be used in the game.

Unrelated, but didn't that game also have the Montreal Expos in it, even though it was made for the 2005 season?

spacer.png

But that's just it; if it were built in Fremont, it wouldn't have been built to fit an actual city block. It would've been an architectural lie, surrounded by acres of parking, not streets.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Unrelated, but didn't that game also have the Montreal Expos in it, even though it was made for the 2005 season?

Yep! it was the last game with them in it. Also, I really like that Jays concept stadium.

Archived