What If.... NHL Style.

KyleMakesConcepts

Ok everyone, this is the biggest project I am ever starting. It is centered around the idea that if the NHL would have done one little thing differently, the whole league would be different. Before I describe the project, let me tell everyone the fictional history.

1950 - Fans are bored with seeing the same old 6 teams playing. In response to this, the NHL merges with the Pacific Coast Hockey League, adding 4 more teams. The NHL adds the Vancouver Canucks, Seattle Bombers, Los Angeles Monarchs, and the Portland Eagles. There are now two conferences, the first consisting of Detroit, New York, Toronto, Montreal, and Boston, and the second consisting of Chicago, Vancouver, Seattle, Los Angeles, and Portland.

1967 - The league goes 17 years with the 10 team set up, and decides it's time to expand to 14 teams. The NHL grants expansion franchises to Hamilton, Ottawa, Baltimore, and Denver. Hamilton once again is named the Tigers, Ottawa becomes the Senators, Baltimore becomes the Revolution, and Denver is named the Spurs. The conferences are now?

Conference 1 -

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Boston Bruins

Hamilton Tigers

Baltimore Revolution

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Conference 2 -

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Vancouver Canucks

Portland Eagles

Los Angeles Monarchs

Denver Spurs

Seattle Bombers

1977 - The NHL merges with the World Hockey Association, adding 6 more teams. They add the Cincinnati Stingers, the Houston Aeros, the Winnipeg Jets, the Quebec Nordiques, Calgary Crusaders (originally the Cowboys), and the Indianapolis Arrows (originally the Racers). The conferences are now?..

Conference 1 -

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Boston Bruins

Hamilton Tigers

Baltimore Revolution

Ottawa Senators

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Nordiques

Cincinnati Stingers

Detroit Red Wings

Conference 2 -

Chicago Blackhawks

Vancouver Canucks

Portland Eagles

Los Angeles Monarchs

Denver Spurts

Seattle Bombers

Houston Aeros

Winnipeg Jets

Calgary Crusaders

Indianapolis Arrows

There are now 12 American teams, and 8 Canadian teams.

1985 - The Hamilton Tigers have relocated to Buffalo, New York, to become the Buffalo Soldiers. They stay in the same conference as Hamilton.

1992 - 1995 - The NHL has it's largest expansion period ever, increasing the number of teams by 10. The NHL expands to Miami FA, Nashville TEN, Kansas City MO, New Orleans LA, Milwaukee WI, St Paul MIN, Saskatoon SAS, Philadelphia PA, Halifax NS, and Edmonton AB. The teams are now?

New York Rangers

Toronto Maple Leafs

Boston Bruins

Florida Panthers

Philadelphia Quakers

Buffalo Soldiers

Maritime Mustangs (Halifax, name subject to change)

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Cincinnati Stingers

Detroit Red Wings

Indianapolis Arrows

Chicago Blackhawks

Quebec Nordiques

Baltimore Revolution

Vancouver Canucks

Los Angeles Monarchs

New Orleans

Milwaukee Wolves

Minnesota Wild

Saskatoon ?

Edmonton Oil Kings

Seattle Bombers

Portland Eagles

Houston Aeros

Nashville Predators

Denver Spurs

Kansas City Mohawks

Calgary Crusaders

Winnipeg Jets

2000 - After years of poor fan support and poor play on the ice, the Florida Panthers relocate to Hamilton, to become the Hamilton Tigers.

Divisions as of end of 2011-12 season.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

- NORTHEAST -

Maritime Mustangs

Montreal Canadiens

Quebec Nordiques

Ottawa Senators

Hamilton Tigers

- ATLANTIC -

New York Rangers

Boston Bruins

Baltimore Revolution

Toronto Maple Leafs

Buffalo Soldiers

- SOUTHEAST -

Nashville Predators

Florida Panthers

Philadelphia Quakers

New Orleans?.

Cincinnati Stingers

WESTERN CONFERENCE

- PACIFIC -

Los Angeles Monarchs

Seattle Bombers

Portland Eagles

Vancouver Canucks

Houston Aeros

- CENTRAL -

Detroit Red Wings

Chicago Blackhawks

Indianapolis Arrows

Kansas City Mohawks

Minnesota Wild

- MIDWEST -

Edmonton Oil Kings

Winnipeg Jets

Denver Spurs

Saskatoon..

Calgary Crusaders

*** Divisons may change.

Okay, this is where CCSLC comes in. I will be designing some of the teams uniforms, but I want this to be a league designed by everyone that wants to. If you have an idea for a jersey/logo for one of the teams, please post your concepts! Also, if you have any advice on how to make the divisions better, please do so. If people get involved with this, it would be so awesome to see so many concept designers coming together on one thread, to create an awesome NHL.

*** Saskatoon and New Orleans franchises have yet to be named.

One does not simply beat the Buffalo Sabres... oh wait.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool idea! I'll probably just be an observer in this because I know that my skills don't match up with most of the guys on the site but I look forward to seeing this project take off.

Although I can't help but to imagine that they wouldn't split up the Original 6. Is there any way you could keep Chicago in the first conference and add teams, or just simply have uneven conferences? I mean, in this hypothetical situation, it is 1950 and there was a lot of unevenness in divisions and conferences of newly formed leagues.

Fun project.

You have the Panthers back in even though they relocated to Hamilton.

Oh crap, haha, I'll just change it to the NHL expanded back to Hamilton.

Also, Indianapolis needs a new name. Arrows is to much like te Aerod, who play in Houston.

The team I will be designing first is the Baltimore Revolution.

I was going to say the same about the Arrows/Aeros thing. Why would they change from the Racers? On the flipside, for years you had the Roughriders and the Rough Riders in the CFL.

rATMcmK.png

Thanks for the name suggestions everyone, I really like the Brass for New Orleans. Anyways, here is the Quebec Nordiques.

Presentation-2.png

For the logo, I modernized their old logo by merging the stick in with the outline. The jersey is based off their jerseys from the 80's, but with some tweaks. What does everyone think?

Also, Xodius has created the Cincinnati Stingers for this project. Go show him some love!!

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm feeling the new logo. If you straightened out the bottom of the igloo, and added a small navy stroke (like your fleur de lis) between the red and white, you'd really have something. However, I really do like the jersey.

OttawaSenators.png

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm feeling the new logo. If you straightened out the bottom of the igloo, and added a small navy stroke (like your fleur de lis) between the red and white, you'd really have something. However, I really do like the jersey.

I was actually thinking about leaving the bottom of the igloo straight, but I decided against it because I thought people would just think I took the old logo and put a hockey stick in the outline. I realize that's basically what I did, but curving the bottom, I felt, would make people realize how much time I put into this. Anyways, I'm straightining (if that's how you spell it) the bottom out as I am typing this.

I love the idea for this, It'll be me first posted concept since 2008!

I have some name ideas for Saskatoon...

Saskatoon Rebellion

Saskatoon Fighting Moose

Only had a quick look at the teams but I will double check that whatever team I decide to do hasnt already been started by someone else.

Should be a good thread!

Turk

sigen.jpg

Archived