Continental Independent Baseball League: the Expansion

dgnmrwrw

Original on the left, newer version on the right. Thoughts?

logo_prim_comp.png

New version is better. The stroke on the inside of the C and the star inside of it were making it look like it was supposed to represent a state with star on the city. I was confused what state this Columbus was in!

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks so far.

@cohenj21: The shape of the home wordmark is (loosely) based off of the mission: flat on the "sides", with an upward curve in the middle. It's definitely less dramatic than the curve of the mission in the alternate logo, but that's where it came from. Hopefully, it's not too big a deal... Doing as many teams as I am, I'm struggling to find unique ways to do the wordmarks that aren't too off the wall, and I kinda liked this one.

Anyone else? I'd love to hear some more on this one (or really, anything so far) before moving on.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Thanks so far.

@cohenj21: The shape of the home wordmark is (loosely) based off of the mission: flat on the "sides", with an upward curve in the middle. It's definitely less dramatic than the curve of the mission in the alternate logo, but that's where it came from. Hopefully, it's not too big a deal... Doing as many teams as I am, I'm struggling to find unique ways to do the wordmarks that aren't too off the wall, and I kinda liked this one.

Anyone else? I'd love to hear some more on this one (or really, anything so far) before moving on.

Didn't even think of that. Very innovative, and by all means, keep the script.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Green Bay Mechanics

Green Bay, WI

logo_prim.png

So here's the controversial one. To recap, I chose not to change the franchise location only because I had already finished all the work, and (since this is complete fantasy) I really liked the way it had come together already. The Mechanics' colors are green, brown, orange, and a sort-of-metallic-pewter. The primary logo features the wordmark, with a wrench, set in front of a pair of gears circling a baseball. The cap logo features a stylized GB. There are two alternate/sleeve logos here: the first, used on the home jerseys, features a stylized car paired with a circle and text; and the second, used on the road jerseys, features the M and wrench set over the gears.

I tried to keep the Mechanics' uniforms simple, but with all of these colors and logos going on, things got a bit complicated (and this part may need to be revisited). The home uniform is white and the home alternate jersey is green and has an alternate cap with an orange bill and alternate logo. The road uniforms are the "pewter" color, and use brown caps and socks. A more detailed look at the home and road wordmarks. While I like the look, I'm willing to admit that it might be too complicated or have too many colors. To me, the color to eliminate would be orange, but that really dulls the identity, and I'd like to know what all of you think.

uni_home.png

uni_home_alt.png

uni_road.png

uni_road_alt.png

This is another great concept. The M wrench logo is especially good. One suggestion I have for you is to use the bolts from the gear on the M logo to spice up the GB cap logo, which for me is a little bland right now. Other than that, nice job.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

The uniforms look great... it'd be an awesome look for the Green Bay Bullfrogs (Northwoods League) who use the same basic colors. Although they'd have no use for that awesome wrench script.

My only critique is that as someone whose spent a significant chunk of my life in Green Bay, I'm not sure I understand the Mechanics reference.

The uniforms look great. Along with Yakball and the Solar System League, this has become one of the best most creative series on this site. I love how each team has stirrups too. They've looked really good and they add flare to the concept. One thing I would change about Green Bay is the black on the collar. It kind of feels a little out of place and I think it would look better with just orange. I love the shades of gray too and the alternate sleeve patch logo.

Along with Yakball and the Solar System League, this has become one of the best most creative series on this site.

+1

+2 :)

+3 :-D

Thanks for the feedback.

And I just caught up reading up on this thread and I have to say that I love this series so far! I'll def keep an eye on this thread from now on. I would post a little bit more feedbacks, but I'm currently working on something for Solar System Baseball :-)

I've quietly watched you league progress. In general I'm not a big fan of a lot of your logos, they're all well done, just not my style. Charlotte and El Paso are my favorites thus far. I'm not that crazy about the Green Bay logo, again, its just not my style, but I absolutely love how the mechanics wordmark looks on those uniforms. Whereas the logos may not be my type, I really enjoy the series, and I love you map on page 1.

Some really nice stuff here, as usual. The Comets logo has been bothering me since you first posted it. It seems too hockey and I know that's your forte. Why don't you just use the comet with the tail as the "C" of a wordmark and just tuck the "omets" in there kinda like the Cleveland Cavaliers do it? The Comet with the craters is rendered very well. Since I'm being nitpicky, a comet is not made of rock. It's mostly ice with bits of dust and rocky particles.

Mechanics - again very good. Great color scheme and it looks like the parts are made of metal. The stitches look awesome. The problem is where the wrench touches the wordmark. Since the wordmark is curved and the wrench is straight there's that gap that's distracting. Maybe if you curved the wrench to cover it up? Might add a little visual interest. idontknow.

Friars - I like it all around especially the sleeve patch.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

Thanks so far. I'm glad this one seemed to work (in general); it was definitely one of the ones that I had the most doubts about. Some thoughts:

@illwauk: There isn't really supposed to be any hard association between the nickname and the location, much like the Columbus Comets. It just started out as a loose sketch paired with an uncommon nickname, and Green Bay is sort of the slot it fell into (since it wasn't overtly counterintuitive like, say, the "Albuquerque Freeze" would have been) as the league was coming together.

@undead: Ha! I was really hoping no one was gonna call me on the physical makeup of a comet. For those who aren't up with their astrogeology, comets tend to come from WAY outside the solar system and are, as undead pointed out, mostly ice. Asteroids on the other hand, tend to reside within the solar system proper--especially between Mars and Jupiter--and have a composition consisting of more rock and metal, like I rendered for the Columbus logo. Unfortunately, trying to render the comet's nucleus as "ice"--with jagged edges, highlights and shadows, etc--left me with something that looked more like a crumpled ball of paper than anything else. So I fudged it, added some craters for an easy, "spacey" reference, and hoped no one would say anything. Good catch. (I ain't changing it now!)

Also, there is a slight curve in the wrench, but curving it as much as the type made it REALLY distorted. In a perfect world, I'd probably try to go out of my way to eliminate any odd shapes or unnecessary forms, but I liked the look of this one, almost like it was constructed piece-by-piece.

Keep the comments coming. I might look at tweaking a few things here and seeing what you guys think about potential changes.

Archived