Proposed names for the Washington Nationals?

raysox

Yep, those were the three fInalists.

The city didn't want "Senators" because they don't have any (which I thought small-minded, a wasted opportunity to raise awareness). Don't know why they didn't choose "Grays", which was my favorite of the bunch. We have plenty of MLB teams named after antecedent minor league clubs, why not one after a Negro League club? Again, a wasted opportunity.

Although, thinking about it, I seem to recall that the Negro League Museum might have objected to the name being "appropriated" or something. Which again seems awfully small-minded and another waste.

I liked the name Nationals.

The name had history, its a name that only a DC team could really use, (can't picture the Houston Nationals taking the field) and it didn't come off as being over the top.

Maybe a little plain but it works. Could have done alot worse.

It was a lost opportunity for "ownership" to stamp their claim to a new nickname altogether rather than resort to repacking the former Montreal Expos, established in 1969, as the "Washington Nationals" who were "established in 1905".

/sour grapes

I thought the Nationals were the best of the bunch myself. It was the original name of the Senators, so why not? I liked the concept of the Grays name but not really the name.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I thought the name "Washington Senators" implied that Washington, D.C. was home to the U.S. Senate.

It does. I think what Gothamite is trying to say (though I never heard this complaint about the name) is that since DC does not have statehood ("no senators"), they did not want the name. There is a big push in DC for statehood. I think their license plates now even say "taxation without representation." If there was a big DC push to avoid the name for that reason, it was probably just using the opportunity to make that point. Too bad; "Senators" is my favorite of the bunch.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Washington Federals would've been a great name. "The Feds" just sounds ominous and intimidating, much better than Nats. While their original identity had some flair, it was awful. This new one lacks a lot of character but it's clean. So many great things could've been done with a Federals nickname.

Washington Federals would've been a great name. "The Feds" just sounds ominous and intimidating, much better than Nats. While their original identity had some flair, it was awful. This new one lacks a lot of character but it's clean. So many great things could've been done with a Federals nickname.

"The Feds" does actually sound pretty good. Imagine the headlines... "Feds Lock Up First Place"

"Grays" sounds alright, but as a Canadian, it always looks like it's spelled incorrectly to me.

As far as using Negro League team names, I think the two best are the Kansas City Monarchs and the Indianapolis Clowns. If Indy were to ever get an MLB team, Clowns would be a great name for the team, but a really, really hard identity to execute, I think.

And the name "Black Crackers" cracks me up every time I hear it. ^_^

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I like the Nationals the most. There was a 19th century team by the same name ... maybe that was the source of inspiration.

This. There was a team in the National League in the 19th century called the Washington Nationals. Of the choices, they got it right.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Nah, it was a bad name then and it's a bad name now.

It was the official name of the 20th century team, but the fans hated it enough to call them the Senators regardless.

Nationals was a compromise name, to serve the political and financial interests of various constituencies, which never results in the right answer.

Nah, it was a bad name then and it's a bad name now.

It was the official name of the 20th century team, but the fans hated it enough to call them the Senators regardless.

Nationals was a compromise name, to serve the political and financial interests of various constituencies, which never results in the right answer.

It's a bad name (although their fans almost never call them the Nationals) but it's still much better than the other two options. Senators failed twice, and Grays is a terrible name. I understand wanting to honor a Negro League team, but sorry, with a name that terrible no thanks.

90758391980.gif

Archived