Gehrig27's MLB tweaks/concepts

Gehrig27

With all the recent talk of chief wahoo and the Indians identity, I decided to give a concept a go. I personally love chief wahoo, but in the interest of changing things up I tried to make a more respectfull representation while still keeping the same spirit. While I think the 1994-2001 set was iconic (and my personal favorite) for the Indians, I looked to the past and attempted to blend the late 1940's and 1990's into a uniform set that would scream "classic." I do think the block c is very boring, but that seems to be the direction the team wants to go in.

indians.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) On the logo, the face itself would look great as a vintage logo, say the 50's or 60's. The feather however kind of muddles the identity since it's more clean, detailed, and modernized. So I would suggest either modernizing the face a little more (give it thicker, bolder, cleaner, and less bumpier lines) or somehow making the feather less detailed.

2) I'd get rid of the Red Sox numbers on the back of uniforms. They don't match up well with the identity your going with (maybe, in a 90's Nascar sort of way).

3) Not sure how I feel about the blue packet piping/red sleeve piping/blue & red pants piping. It's certainly unique.

Overall, this screams 90's to me (I see that's the direction you were going with). However, it's very nice actually. I love the Wahoo update.

2ns84yg.png

10n7yog.png

25krb0y.png

Overall not a bad-looking set. A few changes I'd make:

• As mentioned above, simplify the feather
  • Use the standard block font for the back numbers
  • I'm not a fan of having a block "C" on the cap with a cursive script. Either use a block "INDIANS" script or use a different cap logo

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Thanks for the suggestions guys, here is an update: I tried to simplify/modernize chief wahoo and the feather but it still feels a little off to me. I've kinda reached the limit of my artistic talent/ ms paint resources so if someone with a better eye for streamlining wants to take a crack at it, be my guest. I also changed the number font as recommended and also tried out a cursive "c" from the old Cleveland script. Outside of going back to the old wishbone "c", I'm not really sure what other direction to take the cap.

Also, a little off topic, but I've never used photobucket before and it keeps resizing all my images, how do I get the full-sized images to appear on photobucket and when I post them here?

indians2.png

Good update. I'd love to see them take use this/something like it.

Regarding Photobucket, once you upload it, it will scale it down if it's too big. If you hover over it, you'll see the size it's been scaled down to in the top left corner (e.g. 76%). Click on that to see the full-sized image. We might be on different pages here, though.

• 2 months later...

Well, I figured I'd change this thread to include any other MLB concepts I come up with.

First up, The Oakland Athletics. The A's are one of the classic franchises in baseball regardless of where they happen to be playing. With that in mind, I dug into their roots and brought back the original "A" logo (minus the "'s"); it just seemed classier to me. I also based the uniforms off of the new gold alternate. The new primary logo was inspired by the old TATC logo (go figure) and brings the elephant back to its rightfull place as the symbol of the franchise - I think Connie Mack would be proud.

As2.png

As.png

While untraditional, that elephant logo is pretty cool IMO. I like the use of the old A logo more than I thought I would, also. I'm not a huge fan of that number font, and I think names on the jerseys would be good also, but that's really up to you. Solid concept.

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Thanks for the C&C. When it comes to baseball I tend to be very traditional, so I've never really liked having names on the back, especially for some of the older teams. I thought the numbers gave off more of an old-timey feel than just plain old block. Might have the Yankees and Red Sox up next.

I feel like the distaste toward Wahoo has more to do with the fact that a team is still using an ethnic group as it's mascot and nickname in the present day, than with any innate design flaws in Wahoo. That said, your idea looks nice, I think green & tan are nice accent colors for Cleveland and would distinguish them from the other navy-red teams.

With the Oakland set I like the consistency with piping on all the unis and use of one cap, but getting rid of "A's" logo is a punishable offense. :P

With the Oakland set I like the consistency with piping on all the unis and use of one cap, but getting rid of "A's" logo is a punishable offense. :P

Hahaha...Yeah, I wasn't sure how that would be taken on here :D

Here's the Red Sox. Went back to the old piping style that lasted through the 60's, made the cap "B" match the wordmark, and went a little "out there" with an alternate based on the old Cy Young uniforms. I also kept the aways navy but added red outlines and red piping. I know management switched to red undershirts at home in order to emphasize the red in RED Sox, but I feel with a navy cap and traditional stirrups with the upper portion being navy, theres more balance having navy undershirts at home - while keeping it a little more colorful with red undershirts on the road as I've kinda grown fond of that look the past couple years.

RedSox.png

And now for my Yankees...

Tried to reverse the 70's uniforms currently used; No more raglan sleeves, back to the original set-in style. No more white outlines on the roads, and 1950's block numbers replace the current varsity block. The cap logo is of the style used from 1961-65 which I feel is more refined than the current print logo that is always mistakenly shown as the current cap logo (though it was the logo from 1966-1976.)I also added my ideal primary logo and a throwback to be worn only on Old Timers Day - each year would see a throwback to a different year in the teams history, this one is from 1939, the very first Old Timers Day - Lou Gehrig day.

Yankees.png

Boston looks great, love the alt hat. Only thing I dislike is the giant sock on the blue alt, but that seems to be a centerpiece of your concept so make your own decision there. Yankees look pretty good, but is that some type of discoloration on the NY? I'm not sure if it's intentional or not...other than that good job.

Cohenj.png

Both teams look really good, but I don't like how the Sox's navy alt looks. I don't think "Boston" looks good inside that sock and putting a logo on the chest in the first place doesn't really work for an alternate.

Boston looks great, love the alt hat. Only thing I dislike is the giant sock on the blue alt, but that seems to be a centerpiece of your concept so make your own decision there. Yankees look pretty good, but is that some type of discoloration on the NY? I'm not sure if it's intentional or not...other than that good job.

Hmm, I don't think I see anything, is it something on the chest logo or the cap?

I knew the alternate was going to be kinda hit or miss. I was going to have it just say Boston like their current alternate but I was browsing dressed to the nines one day and thought "hey, I wonder what a modern version of that sock would look like."

boston1908.jpg

Never mind about the discoloration, it was just something wrong with my screen. I like the historical precedent for that sock, but try putting it as a small logo on the side of the chest like the Yankees NY rather than splashed across the whole front to use that history but also modernize it a little. See how that looks.

Cohenj.png

I REALLY like the one on the right, surprised they haven't used something like that before. The one on the left looks good also if you really want to use that sock, but I think the one on the right looks great. Nice job.

Cohenj.png

Here's the Halo's

I love the current Angels set but of all the red teams in baseball, I always thought they were just a little too red. I reintroduced some navy and brought back the gold halo. I also added thicker red/navy piping around the neck and arms as a throwback to their 80's uniforms. As an added 80's "throwback" I included the unique feature of red stirrups not only on the home set but on the road as well, even though they would use a navy undershirt on the road (pretty much a flip flop of my Red Sox set.) That was one of those unique things I liked about the old Angels uniforms. Also fixed up a new primary and a navy alternate.

Might have the Rangers up next; they'll be my red on red AL team.

Angels1.png

Archived