2012 London Olympics Thread

BigMac12

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always hate the summer Olympics. Too much focus on basketball, absolutely no coverage of the baseball, and a bunch of individual sports that I really don't care about. Call me when Sochi 2014 starts.

"Tread" Thread

Thank god spelling's not an event.

Edit: And count me in on FunkyBunky's boat. I generally enjoy soccer during the Summer games, and that's about it. I could care less who runs and swims the fastest or what 14-year-old girl can do the most backflips while having a disturbingly muscly back.

I always hate the summer Olympics. Too much focus on basketball, absolutely no coverage of the baseball, and a bunch of individual sports that I really don't care about. Call me when Sochi 2014 starts.

This year there's no baseball to cover, it & softball both got dropped post-Beijing.

Going against the trend I quite enjoy the Olympics, just as the one time every four years you get to see things like handball, canoeing & table tennis on TV. I agree coverage sucks though, I'd much rather see more of some of the more unusual stuff like that than just a basketball tournament with athletics & swimming thrown in.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I like handball. I think it could really take off if it didn't feel for all the world like something a gym teacher improvised.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like handball. I think it could really take off if it didn't feel for all the world like something a gym teacher improvised.

Handball is great to watch.

And yes, the US will be on top of the medal count. Can't wait for the Olympics to start. And don't mention our soccer team not qualifying...

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

My point exactly.

True story: when I was about 15 we went all the way to France on a school trip, and the guy giving us language classes was a member of the French handball team doing teaching work to earn money in the offseason. He was an awesome guy & I've kind of had a soft spot for handball ever since.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Outside of basketball, during the Olympics I really get into swimming and beach volleyball (and no not just because of the bikinis... entirely). The only times in four years I watch those sports and I swear, me and my brothers will talk about those teams and sports like we've been following them. our whole lives. After the Olympics are over, it's back to having no clue or care.

And yes, the US will be on top of the medal count. Can't wait for the Olympics to start. And don't mention our soccer team not qualifying...

You know what sport I enjoy. Water Polo.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Water polo was the best thing about gym class. You could whack someone flush in the mouth and totally get away with it because at that level it's not much more than loosely organized flailing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really had my hopes up of going to see some Olympic Baseball - (originally planned to be at The Oval) but they went and ruined it.

I know I should try and see something, even with an Olympic venue 11 miles away, but there's nothing that I'd want to see. Plus the scramble for tickets has been ridiculous.

So I've made do with the odd bit of Team Great Britain merchandise - light years ahead of the crappy London 2012 merchandise.

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

Aside from men's basketball, I enjoy the swimming competitions, volleyball (both women's beach and men's indoor), water polo, short track events, and certain things in the gymnastics (Uneven bars, balance beam, pommel horse, vault. Not the floor routines or any of that). Also, if I swing by ping pong when it's on, then I'll be glued. :lol:

Olympic soccer does nothing for me, either. It just doesn't matter compared to any of the other tournaments, especially with the Euros also this summer and the US men's team not qualifying. Women's soccer might pull me in towards the end of their tournamnet, but otherwise, not a huge fan of Olympic soccer.

Honestly, I prefer the Winter Olympics to the Summer ones. Not only because my favorite sport is hockey, but because I find myself able to watch just about every event that's on. I can't think of a Winter event that I don't watch, but there's plenty to skip in the Summer.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There seemed to be a bit more wackiness than usual at the last Summer Games - the wrestler who dumped his unwanted bronze medal on the mat, and the Cuban taekwondo athlete who kicked a ref in the head after losing a match among the most indelible images of Beijing '08. Can't wait to see what London has in store.

CCSLC signature.png

Honestly, I prefer the Winter Olympics to the Summer ones. Not only because my favorite sport is hockey, but because I find myself able to watch just about every event that's on. I can't think of a Winter event that I don't watch, but there's plenty to skip in the Summer.

Exactly how I feel.

newsig.jpg

Archived