Generic Patriot logo

undead

Over the weekend I threw together a Patriot logo and put a few fixes to it over the past couple days. This is not to be a replacement to the Flying Elvis logo. What do you think?

Patriotpresentation.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

the face and hat look great, but because of the body he looks not angry, but concerned. It's almost...senatorial. As though it were a poncho draped over him, like the cloaks of roman senators. I think you ought to experiment with either sweeping the body back a bit, as though he were in forward motion, or even straight down, though that would make for a tall logo. That's really what this is missing, some kind of forward movement, and I think with adjustments to the body and perhaps tilting the entire logo clockwise would accomplish that well.

Seriously, well rendered face and hat, that much is superb.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Yeah the back of the hat/head needs some work. Right now it just all merges into one shape when there needs to be some distinction between the two. It doesn't have to be a colour change, or even a highlight, just a simple step out to show where the hat is sitting on the head. Make it protrude as much at the back as it does at the front and I reckon that would be enough to fix the issue, or at least improve the distinction between head and hat.

Only other thing I'd say the body needs some work. The face looks like time effort and thought has really gone into it, the body just feels like it's there to keep the head up. Do you really need it? Is the something you could do that would make it less static? It feels to heavy and blocky at the moment for my taste.

Great work as always but just not quite there yet, keep pushing though and you'll get this one just how you want it!

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

At first glance I liked the shoulder. It seemed very patriotic, but it is making this logo very long from top to bottom. Just having it cut off right below the neck with a thick blue swooshy line, would look nice. Is it just me, or should the hat be bigger slightly? Other than that, the detail in the face is perfect. Another solid design by you.

You certainly have the talent (I really like the red-white-red, it makes me think he has the flag draped over his shoulder), but I offer a few tweaks for your consideration:

1. The hat, as others have mentioned, is a bit short. This is what I'm reminded of: new-head-wrap-indian-style-turban-hat.-red-2379-p.jpg

2. You may want to bring the chin to a soft point, similar to the base of the cheek. That's more a style thing, I don't think it's a flaw.

3. The left or back shoulder, the red-white-red curve should mimic the curve of the blue outline beyond it. The thickness of the border is fine, it's just that difference in curve that is really drawing my eye over there.

4. The blue of the nose, either making the silver fill more of that area or taking the left point of the nose and tucking it a bit closer.

5. (Last 1 I swear, don't get discouraged!): The two red stripes, play with that part of the curve a bit more.

Good start!

Alright guys. Thanks for all the feedback. I really would like to get this perfect and you guys are helping me a lot. I took some of your advice and made some changes. As 9erssteve suggested, I notched the hat out from the head and got rid of the body. I like it better without the body because the logo isn't as tall. As Walkdesign recommended, I added a ponytail. Funny, I never thought of that. I also tried to tackle the hat. It is supposed to be a tricorn hat. I tried to find profile reference photos but to no avail. If anyone can find any, I would appreciate if you shared. So the hat is what I imagine the profile view of a tricorn hat to look like. What do you think?

Patriotpresentation1.png

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I also tried to tackle the hat. It is supposed to be a tricorn hat. I tried to find profile reference photos but to no avail. If anyone can find any, I would appreciate if you shared. So the hat is what I imagine the profile view of a tricorn hat to look like. What do you think?

You could make/fake your own tricorn hat. It's just a hat with a wide, circular brim that is folded up in 3 equal sides. The point is in the front. Dixie cup plus a paper circle and some tape. Yeah, it'll look stupid, but it will give you an understanding.

That's a tremendous update. The hat still looks a little funky, I like the suggestion of folding your own and then using it as a reference. I'd also suggest just a little more forward movement. I think tipping the hat back just a smidge, and then making the pony tail (really great suggestion, btw) angled slightly more up, as though it were in the wind.

As it stands now, it's great, it would work well in numerous applications. Personally, I think the current trend in sports is for something to have movement to it, so I would try to emphasize that just a tiny bit more. Not a lot, but just a little.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Alright guys. Thanks for all the feedback. I really would like to get this perfect and you guys are helping me a lot. I took some of your advice and made some changes. As 9erssteve suggested, I notched the hat out from the head and got rid of the body. I like it better without the body because the logo isn't as tall. As Walkdesign recommended, I added a ponytail. Funny, I never thought of that. I also tried to tackle the hat. It is supposed to be a tricorn hat. I tried to find profile reference photos but to no avail. If anyone can find any, I would appreciate if you shared. So the hat is what I imagine the profile view of a tricorn hat to look like. What do you think?

Patriotpresentation1.png

Here is what I did for a "Patriot" like logo a while back.

cp-compare.jpg

I deleted the previous versions, but was on a similar path as you. I tried to give it more depth, but ultimately I wasn't capturing the correct angle.

Archived