Good Albums With Bad Artwork

The_Admiral

The catch is that the album has to be good, so anyone who posts Ken: By Request Only, Big Bear: Doin' Thangs, or any of the other greatest hits gets thrown into a Burmese tiger trap.

Cookiemtn.jpg

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

First half of this album + "Things You Can Do" at the end is such lights-out awesomeness that we can forgive the rest of it being just kinda meandering noise. It's not a very good cover, though. I can't pinpoint why, but I really don't like it. Maybe it's that Edwardian script they use on the title (and otherwise use for their name on other covers). I don't know. It's just dreary and messy. Incidentally, it is no longer 2006; do people still have strong feelings on TV on the Radio?

Tortoise_its_all_around_you.jpg

Tortoise - It's All Around You

This is the half-brother of an airbrushed wolf shirt.

1377.gif

Beat Happening - s/t

Covers like this one are why people make fun of music geeks.

61t274O4cUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour

You know, I actually like this whole album better than Sgt. Pepper's! "Fool on the Hill," "Blue Jay Way," "Penny Lane," and "Baby, You're a Rich Man" are better than every Pepper track except "A Day in the Life," which everyone agrees is unequivocally the best Beatles song, if not one's personal favorite (mine is "Eleanor Rigby"). But this cover, hoo boy, that's a hot mess of words words words and colorvomit.

516OM2YJ5TL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Empire of the Sun - Walking on a Dream

Eminently listenable electropop album that looks like a poster for a really bad summer movie where things blow up.

led-zeppelin-iii-300x300.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin III

This is the Zeppelin album that endures long beyond The High School Classic Rock Phase, just like Animals with the other half of those twin towers. But what's the with bubbly text and psychedelic splattering? I know "Tangerine" is the Zeppelin song everyone's girlfriend likes, but no album with "Immigrant Song," "Out on the Tiles," and "Since I've Been Loving You" should look this wispy and doodly.

FAKE EDIT: boy, don't do a google image search for this one, it kinda messes with your eyes. Not sure what I thought was going to happen.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a little bit of Canadian content ...

Barenaked Ladies - Gordon

barenaked-ladies-gordon.jpg

? Not terrible from a technical perspective, but so achingly ?90s that they changed the artwork on future re-issues.

Our Lady Peace - Naveed

naveed_cover.jpg

? Great album that really helped get me into rock music in high school. But the artwork is a little creepy, with a little too much droopy old man skin for my taste (this coming from a guy who watched Ric Flair wrestle for however-many years). And I think the nipple ring is photoshopped on.

The Gotye and Alanis covers aren't that bad...could be worse, like By The Way...I remember in stores, the insert would be flipped to the goat page on the inside, stores were squeemish over the nipples on the real cover.

220px-NYKOP-deluxe.png

Somewhat dissapointed with this one...Garbage already did a G motif on a pink background in the 90's. There are lots of other things they could have done, this seems too simple

This:

Sum%2B41%2B-%2BScreaming%2BBloody%2BMurder%2BLyrics.jpg

To the Japan version:

392ad5c63199422ebd1155793cdbed10.jpg

Which ones better?

In the last game against Detroit, the time from ten minutes left to one minute left was probably the longest nine minutes of my life. But from one to zero was probably the greatest time I've ever had. I didn't want the clock to run out. It was such a great feeling: people crying in the stands, people jumping up and down, people cheering. Guys couldn't even sit up on the bench. It was probably the best minute of my life.

Ah, the "I'm kidding" - the universal internet excuse for saying something that others perceived as dumb.

It's a Sum 41 album, so it probably sucks anyway.

I was going to post that Ben Folds Five cover! That was one of the first albums I ever bought, I think the first "real" album, and it really is quite good, but even then I thought the cover was pretty lame.

The Gotye cover looks like a Phil Collins/Sting album, which is appropriate, since he sounds like Phil Collins and Sting. Who would've guessed that the guy from Genesis and the guy from the Police would somehow both end up as a couple of New Age wisps.

220px-Rock_for_Light.jpg

adore bad brains, and this is probably their best album (as long as it's the vinyl, and not the sped-up and disgusting ric ocasek remixed cd)... but that album cover is horrible, ugly, and boring. so much worse than their self-titled iconic cover.

220px-Black_Flag_-_Nervous_Breakdown_cover.jpg

everything artistically and "branding" related to this band is perfect, except this. just slapped together, 2 color, and the flag isn't even black. it's blue. such a disappointment considering how amazing the covers for damaged, my war, and slip it in are.

41GKOKBkeEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

that last one is danzig 4...

on the flip side, these are my favorite covers by the same bands:

badbrains.selftitled.hi.jpg

220px-Black_Flag_-_Slip_It_In_cover.jpg

danzig-1.jpg

Arguably the worst album artwork ever, the question is whether or not the album is "good."

113773613.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Queen_The_Miracle.png

Pretty much any Queen album could fit the bill, but there's a special kind of trippy horror to this.

Rammstein_Herzeleid_cover.jpg

Why on earth anyone thought packaging what's basically an industrial metal album in a sleeve that makes it look like a crummy euro-dance album by the poster boys for the local gay bar is beyond me.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Why on earth anyone thought packaging what's basically an industrial metal album in a sleeve that makes it look like a crummy euro-dance album by the poster boys for the local gay bar is beyond me.

i'm not a music afficionado, but isn't the juxtaposition exactly the point with this album cover (and maybe some of the others)?

jldesigns404eo.png

i'm not a music afficionado, but isn't the juxtaposition exactly the point with this album cover (and maybe some of the others)?

There is a heavy dose of irony around most things they do, so I don't dispute that that was the point. I just don't think it works in this instance.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

orleans.jpg

Du hast mich!

yeasayer has some stupid artwork, but i don't like their albums.

Well, you should. Yeasayer is pretty great.

tortoise-tnt.jpg

Tortoise - TNT

I know there's a lot of Glass/Reich-inspired repetition on this album, but I don't think this artwork is effective minimalism. And I suppose one of the things that separates post-rock from progressive is that they don't take themselves quite as seriously as their nerdlinger forebears, but come on now. At least I'm only reminded of how silly this is every time I put on, y'know, one of my favorite albums ever.

Archived