Good Albums With Bad Artwork

The_Admiral

eric-b-rakim-291-l.jpg

de-la-soul-3-feet-high-and-rising.jpg

I get the Eric B & Rakim one... ish.

But damn dude, De La Souls cover is great. Easily displays the sound of a lot of the album. In my opinion one of the best hip hop covers of all time.

I've never listened to it, but this always makes me laugh:

60433332.jpg

Now this is laughable as hell... wow.

pastpresentfuture_zps8bbb3a05.png

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, All That You Can't Leave Behind is just beige, pseudo-pensive tripe, but I don't think it's even a good album after the third track.

Interesting. In my book, it's right up there with Acthung Baby and The Joshua Tree. What don't you like about it?

I wish I could articulate it better than I can, but everything past "Elevation" just doesn't grab me. It could be that the stuff up front is just so good that nothing can compare to it, I don't know, but it just lacks something. Even with the strength of "Beautiful Day" and "Elevation," it's behind War, The Joshua Tree, The Unforgettable Fire, and Achtung Baby. And Boy, which no one talks about nearly enough, as far as I'm concerned.

Incidentally, if you were to consolidate All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, which is even spottier than its predecessor, you'd have a really good album.

All That You Can't Leave Behind was the moment U2 wandered into the M.O.R. wilderness. There are some great tracks (New York, Beautiful Day, Stuck in a Moment) but overall it suffers from trying too hard to please. Pop is much better album in my books. Has a unified theme, takes lots of sonic risks and frankly has better songs. Also theres no way it's album cover could be on here :)

Loved this album, not only because it told a story, but the songs are all really catchy:

Ever+After+Cover.jpg

But seriously.... placing a bunch of random toys doesn't work for me.

Ever-After.jpg

Now this picture from the lyric booklet could've worked, as it is really creative.

:wub:(dance):boogie:(bow):jawdrop::censored:(sleepz):puke::woot::sleeping::hockeysmiley::therock::oops:

I think I like smilies too much!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've never listened to it, but this always makes me laugh:

60433332.jpg

This was pretty much the standard for many rap album covers for quite a while in the late 90's, early 2000 era:

477541.jpg

2301693-tha_g_code.jpg

2301684-chopper_city.jpg

All you needed was horrible photoshop collage skill(z) and diamond encrusted lettering.

• 3 weeks later...

Groove_Armada_-_Vertigo.jpg

Genuinely interesting genre defying dance album which deserves far more than a not very interesting line drawing of two guys sat on a couch

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

• 4 weeks later...

The all time #1 good album with bad artwork has to be Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg:

snoopdoggystyle_zps86c814c2.jpg

It was a HUGELY successful album and the cover art is just terrible!

Another curiously bad album cover is 2001 by Dr. Dre. I really hope they didn't pay somebody to design this because it probably took them 2 minutes to do it! Not to mention how many teens got in trouble with their parents for having a CD with a pot leaf on it?!?!?!

DrDre-2001.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Doggystyle cover art is absolutely perfect for that album and the time it was released.

I miss when things were hand drawn.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived