Good Albums With Bad Artwork

The_Admiral

I'm pretty sure the Doggystyle cover art is absolutely perfect for that album and the time it was released.

I miss when things were hand drawn.

Maybe things aren't hand drawn anymore because things done by hand look like garbage compared to other methods? And this isn't underhanded praise of computers; artists have had ways to make artwork look better than hand drawn ever since the first caveman to trace his hand on a cave wall with a piece of charcoal.

Also, the Doggystyle cover may be appropriate for that album and the time it was released but from a purely aesthetic angle it is embarrassingly bad. The composition is terrible and you can barely read the first half of "DOGGYSTYLE" because it is covered with the words "Doggy Dogg". I could list more reasons why it's crappy but I'll stop there.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Judas Priest's Defenders of the Faith takes the cake for me.

304584.jpg

It's somewhat difficult to decipher what the cover is actually depicting at first, and once you do figure out that it is supposed to be an armored bear/tank monstrosity, the whole thing just comes across as silly and disjointed. This is unlike the album, which is one of Priest's better albums from the 80's. I'm sure people have said that both covers for Point of Entry were the worst Priest album covers, but their blandness kind of fits with the album's arid nature (which I like).

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, I have five Roxy Music albums and none of them have ever stood out to me as being particularly bad.

What's your favorite Roxy Music song? Mine is either "Virginia Plain," "Love Is The Drug," or "Editions of You." I'm not creative.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Judas Priest's Defenders of the Faith takes the cake for me.

304584.jpg

It's somewhat difficult to decipher what the cover is actually depicting at first, and once you do figure out that it is supposed to be an armored bear/tank monstrosity, the whole thing just comes across as silly and disjointed. This is unlike the album, which is one of Priest's better albums from the 80's. I'm sure people have said that both covers for Point of Entry were the worst Priest album covers, but their blandness kind of fits with the album's arid nature (which I like).

Can't say I've listened to Judas Priest much so I'm not too sure how all their music sounds, but that cover art is awesome IMO. Even though I'm seeing weird looking hot dogs coming from behind the tank, but that's what makes it so interesting.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

This is an amazing cover. It's supposed to look like that:

Roxy_Music_-_Roxy_Music.jpg

My favorite Roxy Music song is probably Avalon too, but I like Sentimental Fool, Ladytron and Re-Make, Re-Model.

And I really like this performance:

The 70s Avant Garde era of pop music was pretty special. Roxy Music was responsible for a lot of its greatness, and its transition into new wave.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• 4 weeks later...

The iTunes cover was almost as bad... U2 used to have great album covers yet the last album with one came out in 1997...

I think the iTunes version was 100 times better than this new one. I agree for the most part about their album covers, but I do think ATYCLB had a good cover.

People complain about the iTunes release, but that cover is the kind of bad idea U2 needed be talked out of.

Exactly right.

uta-big-sam-little-uta.png

Archived