Good Albums With Bad Artwork

The_Admiral

How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb's cover wasn't great in and of itself, but as, well, a branding campaign reaching beyond the album cover itself, I thought it was pretty effective: the use of Clarendon type, black and red, diagonal striping. That being said, the mere fact that we're talking about what's supposed to be an opus as an "effective branding campaign" should show that mid-2000s U2 could indeed be pretty annoying.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my favorite album of all time...Superunknown by Soundgarden. I've never liked the cover art at all.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

• 11 months later...

I've never listened to it, but this always makes me laugh:

60433332.jpg

This was pretty much the standard for many rap album covers for quite a while in the late 90's, early 2000 era:

477541.jpg

2301693-tha_g_code.jpg

2301684-chopper_city.jpg

All you needed was horrible photoshop collage skill(z) and diamond encrusted lettering.

The vast majority of those kinds of album covers were done by one company:

http://penandpixel.com/

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2325314.jpg

Even for a metalcore album, this feels way too manufactored and plastic. Also can't stand that font.

1922864.jpg

Bolt Thrower's logo in general is just an eyesore, and that album title artwork is equally as bad here.

4694645.jpg

One of the best Traditional Doom Metal albums ever but holy god that artwork just has everything wrong with it. Looks like something someone would make in a high school photoshop class.

1922864.jpg

Haha, awesome! I love Bolt Thrower's stupid album artwork.

a0524390113_10.jpg

a4022766229_10.jpg

BoltThrower-HonourValourPride.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• 3 weeks later...

One of my favorite albums of all time, but I've never liked the cover... Looks kind of cheap to me.

25559-keep-it-together.jpg

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

"Amsterdam" and "Careful" are great songs, but Goldfly and Lost and Gone Forever blow that one out of the water.

I think the cover looks like a million alt-folk albums from the early 2000s.

The new Florence + The Machine cover is going for a retro singer-songwriter vibe, too, which is incongruous with F+tM's ovaries-to-the-wall sound.

IceOnTheDune.jpg

I wasn't aware that a second Empire of the Sun album came out! Gonna check this out today. I hope it's as good as the first album, because the artwork is worse.

Speaking of album covers, have any of you had the chance to own/see any of the books that have been released about Hipgnosis? I always thought the artwork that they did was phenomenal.

But in the spirit of the thread, here's my submission. I like the font, but...

room-on-fire.jpg

Shouldn't be in this thread. Great album, great cover.

Archived