Recent MLB expansion teams logo changes

ldswoosh33

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like the Rockies' management conflates "tenured" with "classic," as far as their uniforms go. They look stale, and desperately need an update. Purple base, no pinstripes would be a good place to start.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel like the Rockies' management conflates "tenured" with "classic," as far as their uniforms go. They look stale, and desperately need an update. Purple base, no pinstripes would be a good place to start.

Totally agree--stale... That CR cap logo could use an update as well. Change the font maybe? My brother is a Rox fan and we discuss this often.

Disagree with the lot of you. Know why the Rockies haven't changed anything since 1993? Because they got it right the first time.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Disagree with the lot of you. Know why the Rockies haven't changed anything since 1993? Because they got it right the first time.

I can't agree. Thei word mark is of the worst our there. Yuck. That is a font that should not be filled with another color.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

The owners LOVES the color scheme, and he feels the look is a classic on par with the Yankees. Thus, no substantial changes. We had a similar thing in Houston with now former owner Drayton McLane & the railroad uniforms. He felt the Yankee-like pinstripes made them an instant classic and untouchable. Some people see pinstripes and equate them with the Yankees & classic. It what the Yankees have done in the pinstripes that made them classic.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Rockies' home uniforms need to be reevaluated and they've needed to be reevaluated for a long time. The only purple on that uniform is that tiny mountain in the logo and the purple pinstripes, which aren't discernible as purple unless you're 5 feet away. The pinstripes look black and from behind, the Rockies look just like the White Sox.

Remedies for this would be to adopt a predominantly purple wordmark as well as purple numbers with black outlines (like the road uniforms) and make the purple billed cap the full-timer. That uniform lacks color and these steps would drastically help improve that uniform.

The road uniforms are okay, there's just nothing to them. I don't have the aversion to road pinstripes that a lot of people here have so I was bummed to see those go, but the new ones just feel like bland, uninspired "I guess we have to have a road uniform too so here it is" road uniforms. At least they get the purple wordmark/numbers correct.

Also, stop wearing that silly girls softball-esque batting helmet.

I don't care if they wear striped stirrups or not.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Rockies' home uniforms need to be reevaluated and they've needed to be reevaluated for a long time. The only purple on that uniform is that tiny mountain in the logo and the purple pinstripes, which aren't discernible as purple unless you're 5 feet away. The pinstripes look black and from behind, the Rockies look just like the White Sox.

Remedies for this would be to adopt a predominantly purple wordmark as well as purple numbers with black outlines (like the road uniforms) and make the purple billed cap the full-timer. That uniform lacks color and these steps would drastically help improve that uniform.

The road uniforms are okay, there's just nothing to them. I don't have the aversion to road pinstripes that a lot of people here have so I was bummed to see those go, but the new ones just feel like bland, uninspired "I guess we have to have a road uniform too so here it is" road uniforms. At least they get the purple wordmark/numbers correct.

I agree with pretty much all of this. I will add that the front of the home jerseys look ridiculous with the numbers added. The hashes in the wordmark dull the wordmark, making it appear faint from a distance. Then, they slap huge (bigger than most teams) black numbers below the wordmark to make it worse. From a distance, the wordmark dissapears and all you see is the numbers. Just look at this action pic. The number is clear as day (the part his hand isn't covering) while the wordmark is barely there. The number makes the bad wordmark look even worse.

dm_120531_mlb_rockies_astros_thursday.jpg

Also, a purple-billed cap could work as the road cap, but pinstripes should always be paired with solid-colored caps.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I agree with pretty much all of this. I will add that the front of the home jerseys look ridiculous with the numbers added. The hashes in the wordmark dull the wordmark, making it appear faint from a distance. Then, they slap huge (bigger than most teams) black numbers below the wordmark to make it worse. From a distance, the wordmark dissapears and all you see is the numbers. Just look at this action pic. The number is clear as day (the part his hand isn't covering) while the wordmark is barely there. The number makes the bad wordmark look even worse.

dm_120531_mlb_rockies_astros_thursday.jpg

Also, a purple-billed cap could work as the road cap, but pinstripes should always be paired with solid-colored caps.

hmm, I've never heard that sentiment before. Care to explain your reasoning behind that?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hadn't thought about it before, but I'd tend to agree. A solid-color cap balances out the busy pinstripes. Makes sense.

I've always felt that way as well. I'll never do a concept with pinstripes matched with a two-colored cap. They just do not look good. Can't explain it, but it just is that way. Look bad with the Rockies roads pre-2012, looked bad when the Mets would go with the black/blue cap and pinstripes at home. They just don't look right. The Reds 90's vests with the red/black, black/red cap weren't quite as offensive due to the sleeves colors, but only helped a little. Don't know if it just appears amateurish or what, but it just doesn't look right.

I bought a low-crown all-black Rockies hat a few weeks ago...and it's pretty badass. Better than the purple brim hat, I think. The hat looks better in person than any picture you'll find (like most 5950s).

Anyway, on topic, I hate the Rockies' numbers on the front. The huge numbers are obnoxious, and the gray outline on the numbers contrasts horribly with the metallic silver in the wordmark.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Gothamite and McCall pretty much summed it up. Pinstripes are a bold design element. When used, I think they have to stand on there own with a solid colored cap. I think adding a contrasting brim is overkill, sort of like combining placket piping, racing stripes or cuffs with a pinstriped jersey. One two many design elements getting thrown in. Also, with almost no exception, the cap should be the color of the pinstripes. The Marlins inaugeral set still looked good with the the black caps, but it also had black numbers to balance it out somewhat. The Rockies should wear purple caps with the pinstripes and, of course, change the numbers to purple.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I bought a low-crown all-black Rockies hat a few weeks ago...and it's pretty badass. Better than the purple brim hat, I think. The hat looks better in person than any picture you'll find (like most 5950s).

Anyway, on topic, I hate the Rockies' numbers on the front. The huge numbers are obnoxious, and the gray outline on the numbers contrasts horribly with the metallic silver in the wordmark.

every visual aspect of the rockies is utterly forgettable

***SHAMELESS PLUG ALERT***

This was my idea a little while back...

COLrockies_stylebook1b.png

COLrockies_stylebook2b.png

COLrockies_stylebook3b.png

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

As long as the Mumfords own the team, this identity isn't going anywhere. The Mumfords aren't really baseball people (as evidenced by an interview one of the brothers did where he admitted that he doesn't know any of the other club's GM's) and they run the Rockies by a very simple motto, "As long as we're making money, there's no reason to change anything."

I love Buc's take on a redesign, the logos look great. It's amazing how a simple font change can make such a difference. The only thing that is a little weird for me is the shade of green. It is a little too light/pastel for my taste. But if you darken it you'll lose contrast between the two colors.

jNTsTyQ.png

Gothamite and McCall pretty much summed it up. Pinstripes are a bold design element. When used, I think they have to stand on there own with a solid colored cap. I think adding a contrasting brim is overkill, sort of like combining placket piping, racing stripes or cuffs with a pinstriped jersey. One two many design elements getting thrown in. Also, with almost no exception, the cap should be the color of the pinstripes. The Marlins inaugeral set still looked good with the the black caps, but it also had black numbers to balance it out somewhat. The Rockies should wear purple caps with the pinstripes and, of course, change the numbers to purple.

This is why those striped stirrups that one kid is pushing for would look absurd with the home uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived