Team Logo Neon Signs

Waffles

I've always been fascinated by neon signs, especially the ones at bars that depict sports logos. Lately I've found myself thinking about the kinds of challenges and decisions that go into adapting a logo into this medium. We often talk here about how a complicated or colorful logo would work as an embroidered piece on a uniform, but I don't remember a discussion here about the merits of a particular logo as a neon sign.

It's a proposition somewhat exclusive to sports and beer brands, and there are fairly diverse and creative ways of turning logos into neon. Some work better than others, I think, a lot of which depends on how flexible the original logo is.

From my extensive experience in New York bars, I've always liked the way the Mets logo looked in neon:

new-york-mets-neon-sign~11537182.jpg

I like how the Bulls logo looks too, with the colors inverted:

chicago-bulls-neon.jpg

On the other hand, woof:

atlanta-hawks-nba-neon-sign.jpg

Any other good/bad/ugly examples?

Good topic.

There's a bar by my house that uses this and I always think about how bad it looks every time I walk by.

1.jpg

That same bar also has this

016_reds.jpg

which I like.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Cool topic. I love well done neon signs. It's probably a result of growing up back when neon signs were everywhere.

This one is...well...just awful. (And please, spare us the race to be the first one to call "Clevejacked.") Then again, when your logo is a helmet, what do you expect?

1.jpg

I think this looks pretty cool. It manages to capture the essence of the Angels logo.

imperial_63-2013-300.jpg

Not good at all.

Ohio20State.jpg

This one works because, like the big A, it manages to translate well from the actual logo.

masterIL442.jpg

BB52Big.jpg

What's wrong with the Ohio State sign? Seems like a good representation to me.

Yeah, I was probably a little harsh on that one. It's not like it's awful bad or anything. It just seems bland to me. I think a line of white around the inside of red O would make it look a lot better. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to drop 500 bucks on one and give it to me, I'll gladly hang it up in my "alumni" room, but I think it looks a little incomplete when compared to the logo it's based on.

BB52Big.jpg

Most of these are pretty interesting. Before labeling a certain logo "bad", really take into consideration the limitations of producing it in neon.

There isn't much room for detail, and "how will this translate into neon signs?" is pretty far down the list of importance when the initial design is reviewed. :lol:

imperial_27-6014.jpg

imperial_27-6011.jpg

Commemorative_1961_New_England_Patriots_Neon_Sign_2591.jpg

This is all kinds of awesome.

p5111791dt.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived