Teams switching up logos

Dbroalexander

Ok so I'm a Blackhawks fan, and as a designer there's one thing that really bothers me about their branding. The "Tomahawk C" logo. Now I love this logo when it's used properly.

This is the correct logo - 9fy12wi9aioaa119dzhpmucw7.gif

Notice the serif

But something i've noticed is that on official merchandise, including shirts, hats, and older replica jerseys they use this version - 57.gif

Notice the lack of the serif?

Has anyone else noticed other teams doing this with their logos?

Yeah tigers at the top of the list for sure. Yankees have a few different logos I believe.

I think the kc chiefs have some variations. It's not all that uncommon, I guess because of the different uses and mediums that the logos are involved in.

It's not really a switch up because it's officially designated as the embroidery version, but it's still different than the actual crown on the uniforms and other merchandise.

LosAngelesKings_SME01a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

For comparison, this is the real thing.

LosAngelesKings_SMK01a_2012_SCC_SRGB.png

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

5114ctDSpRL.jpg

FSN have used it for various versions of the Freeway Faceoff logo:

freeway2bfaceoff2blogo.jpg

freeway-faceoff.png

This is what I think they should do...

Kings.png

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

I have a 2009 draft hat with the Kings logo on it and I'm glad it has all the details. When it comes to smaller embroidery like on the wallet, I can understand losing some detail, but then for the TV graphic, that's unacceptable.

I mean, I'm a Blackhawks fan, and I live near Chicago, and I've never seen any piece of Blackhawks merch that is missing any one of the smaller details...matter of fact, they add them all which can be a little messy.... like on the championship hat 46-31834-Y.jpg... I have one of these and when you look very closely, every little detail is stitched on there...

The Nets had some deal a couple of years ago where they had a slightly different-looking logo on some kind of magazine or pamphlet that was given out at their games. I think someone here even created a thread about it.

I'm guessing this is a lot more common than we think, especially when it comes to embroidery issues.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

It's actually quite common for teams to have variations of team logos specifically designed for certain mediums. Most cases are for "metallic" and "flat" screen printed / paper goods, as well as the already mentioned embroidery.

With the exception of color modification to account for things like metallics, I think that if you need to modify your logo that much for it to work on various mediums (letterhead, embroidery, t-shirts, etc.), then it's probably not a very good logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

With the exception of color modification to account for things like metallics, I think that if you need to modify your logo that much for it to work on various mediums (letterhead, embroidery, t-shirts, etc.), then it's probably not a very good logo.

That's a good rule of thumb.

I feel the same way about the Brewers' current logos. The script has to be angled to fit on the primary logo:

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.gif

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.gif

That's just bad design.

You know, I was always curious as to whether whoever designed that was a huge fan of the TV show "Cheers" back in the day...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The lowercase l's look different on the chain-stitched Phillies script as well... I'll never be able to un-see that now.

As far as inconsistent logo usage, the Yankees are the absolute worst. For a team with that much history, the sloppy way they treat their identity is inexcusable. There's no reason to have four different interlocking NY's in use at the same time when their cap logo would be perfect for every application.

Yankees_cap_logo.png

Then there's the highly unnecessary roundel logo that features red, which isn't used anywhere else in their identity and is the main color of their biggest rival, the Red Sox. On top of that, it uses royal blue despite the Yankees' uniforms featuring navy instead. Now, I suppose they could remove the red and royal and replace it with silver and navy, but there's no need to even have the roundel when the cap logo is iconic enough to stand on its own.

Finally, the Yankees have an awesome bespoke script typeface that they inexplicably don't make use of on the road uniforms.

new-york-yankees-script-logo-3-primary.jpg

That New York script would look damn good on a road jersey. In fact, a couple weeks ago on eBay, someone was selling a prototype Yankees road jersey with that script on it... but I can't find the listing anymore. It looked so much better than their current road look.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Leafs 1967 logo used on the alternate this year:

Fake Version

OTH67logo.png

Real Version

1967-Road.png

Don't forget the fakes using this

h0jxcvxe4oez1fa5czicp5zv1.gif

in place of this

v7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif

for the shoulder patches in the new jerseys. It just looks terrible.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived