Cincinnati Reds/Chicago Cubs Road Uniforms

sorcerer77

Well, I've always thought that the Chicago Cubs 'C' cap logo is a classic font in which a road script could be built around it. Here's a script I made which shows what it would look like:

17s601.png

It's nice, but it probably wouldn't fly with how close it is to the famous Chicago Theatre.

2007_04_john_legend_chicago_theater.jpg

2718941649_1c453a99cf.jpg?1313376204

I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

f9mwxe28gvpd1yab11a8adovg.gif

This is the best road script the Cubs could use.

nhnmnc3g1ffgjamdfgq4tskgd.gif

This is my favorite, but it doesn't work on uniforms. I'd like to see "CHICAGO CUBS" written out this way for an alternate wordmark, though.

One of the things I hate about the Cubs uniform, along with that stupid bear, is how the road greys have blue names and red numbers, outlined in white. That ends up being too much red for not just a predominantly blue team but one as tied to its blueness as the Dodgers. Numbers are bigger than names! Just make them both blue outlined in red on grey. We don't need white outlines anymore.

when I think of that early 90's look I think of henry rowengartner

395d372b91816f1d7d1ee0d01fb03365.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

One of the things I hate about the Cubs uniform, along with that stupid bear, is how the road greys have blue names and red numbers, outlined in white. That ends up being too much red for not just a predominantly blue team but one as tied to its blueness as the Dodgers.

The Cubs are not tied to their blueness as much as the Dodgers, it's not even close. The Cubs have always used way more red than the Dodgers. The Cubs even had red-billed caps for a while.

The Dodgers even have their shade of blue named after them, for Pete's sake.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

One of the things I hate about the Cubs uniform, along with that stupid bear, is how the road greys have blue names and red numbers, outlined in white. That ends up being too much red for not just a predominantly blue team but one as tied to its blueness as the Dodgers.

The Cubs are not tied to their blueness as much as the Dodgers, it's not even close. The Cubs have always used way more red than the Dodgers. The Cubs even had red-billed caps for a while.

However, the Cubs and Dodgers use the exact same shade of Blue FWIW.

However, the Cubs and Dodgers use the exact same shade of Blue FWIW.

pwned! What I was thinking, but figured you'd be in soon enough to confirm it.

Yes, the Cubs do use more red than the Dodgers, but they are a primarily blue team with red as a secondary. And having that much red on the roads without even blue trimming it, just does not look right. Plus, they (appropriately) ditched those road caps. All their lettering and numbers should be blue trimmed in red.

Guess I imagined all that jabbering about "Cubbie Blue" over the years and seas of blue apparel and so forth. Glad I have Loogodude around to clarify matters regarding my favorite sports team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Guess I imagined all that jabbering about "Cubbie Blue" over the years. Glad I have Loogodude around to clarify matters regarding my favorite sports team.

I've been following baseball for almost 20 years, including a healthy dose of Cubs games on WGN, and I almost never hear the term "Cubbie Blue;" on the other hand, I hear the term Dodger Blue thrown around all the time (including during last night's WGN broadcast of CHW-LAD, incidentally) even though I practically never watch the Dodgers.

And I'm a little surprised you didn't know your "favorite" baseball team has used red as much as they have, while the Dodgers have stayed true to their almost entirely blue identity. But we all make mistakes, admiral. Just some of us more often than others. :)

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Guess I imagined all that jabbering about "Cubbie Blue" over the years. Glad I have Loogodude around to clarify matters regarding my favorite sports team.

I've been following baseball for almost 20 years, including a healthy dose of Cubs games on WGN, and I almost never hear the term "Cubbie Blue;" on the other hand, I hear the term Dodger Blue thrown around all the time (including during last night's WGN broadcast of CHW-LAD, incidentally) even though I practically never watch the Dodgers.

And I'm a little surprised you didn't know your "favorite" baseball team has used red as much as they have, while the Dodgers have stayed true to their almost entirely blue identity. But we all make mistakes, admiral. Just some of us more often than others. :)

You have proven to be a not so reliable source, so you not hearing "Cubbie Blue" doesn't really mean much. Epsecially since some of us have been following baseball as long or longer than you (I'm 30 and can remember watching baseball as early as I can remember anything).

Maybe it's a regional thing, because I haven't heard the term "Cubbie Blue" either (though a quick google search reveals that it is used quite a bit, but even for the nearly 25 years of my life that I was a big sports fan, I hadn't heard the term.

That being said, while I would disagree that the Cubs are as proud of their blueness as the Dodgers, they certainly are and should be more blue than they've been the past decade or so. Getting rid of the red-brimmed caps was a good step, but as others have said, making the numbers blue and using red just as trim is what needs to happen next.

I used to really like teams like the Cubs who always kept the same home uniform, but played around with the roads every few years. They've had their current road for far too long.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know how we're going to measure "pride in blueness" if it's going to be a big goddamn issue now, but I would say that the Cubs are in everyone's minds a Blue Team, as the Cardinals are a Red Team. NOW WAIT JUST A SECOND THE CARDINALS USE NAVY AND IN FACT EVEN HAVE NAVY HATS well yes, but the vast vast majority of Cardinals paraphernalia is red, such that they all show up to games in red. Are they as red as the Reds, who are so red that their name is Red? I don't really know, but the whole blue/red contrast is a nice aesthetic aspect to the rivalry.

I don't know why the Cubs have stuck with their road uniform so long either. The script is terrible, to say nothing of the whole blue/red split, which I do not like.

Maybe it's a regional thing, because I haven't heard the term "Cubbie Blue" either (though a quick google search reveals that it is used quite a bit, but even for the nearly 25 years of my life that I was a big sports fan, I hadn't heard the term.

That being said, while I would disagree that the Cubs are as proud of their blueness as the Dodgers, they certainly are and should be more blue than they've been the past decade or so. Getting rid of the red-brimmed caps was a good step, but as others have said, making the numbers blue and using red just as trim is what needs to happen next.

I used to really like teams like the Cubs who always kept the same home uniform, but played around with the roads every few years. They've had their current road for far too long.

I don't know how we're going to measure "pride in blueness" if it's going to be a big goddamn issue now, but I would say that the Cubs are in everyone's minds a Blue Team, as the Cardinals are a Red Team. NOW WAIT JUST A SECOND THE CARDINALS USE NAVY AND IN FACT EVEN HAVE NAVY HATS well yes, but the vast vast majority of Cardinals paraphernalia is red, such that they all show up to games in red. Are they as red as the Reds, who are so red that their name is Red? I don't really know, but the whole blue/red contrast is a nice aesthetic aspect to the rivalry.

I don't know why the Cubs have stuck with their road uniform so long either. The script is terrible, to say nothing of the whole blue/red split, which I do not like.

I shouldn't have said that they're not as proud of their blueness. Perhaps a better way of phrasing it would be that they don't seem to boast about it or market themselves around it as much as the Dodgers seem to do.

I would agree that they're seen as a blue team, with their biggest rivals as a red team (all the more reason for the Cardinals to just go with the red cap full time.) I don't think anyone thinks anything of the Reds.

In addition to the changes mentioned already, they should also drop any and all navy from their scheme (didn't they have navy BPs and caps recently?)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Cubs? They had navy BP stuff around 2003-2006, yeah. It's all gone now. Never understood why they thought they needed the excuse to have civilian apparel in navy blue. I mean, I know why teams thought that, because people would rather wear navy blue in everyday situations, but I have a hat and shirt in their traditional blue and I find them acceptably versatile, or at least as versatile as sports-related attire can possibly be.

I don't know about that. It works well when it's three characters, but letters that fat are going to look pretty bad when spelling out "Chicago".

It would look BOLD, not fat. :)

I would put CHICAGO in the "UBS font" arched in blue with no trim, but with a red underline.

And this would be my shoulder patch:

6915563791_3ffe0a933d.jpg

The width of the red underline under CHICAGO would be a little greater than the width of the red circle in the shoulder patch.

The numbers on back would be blue with no trim; player names would be red to mimic the red underline on front and the red circle in the shoulder patch.

The jersey and pants would be piping-free (as they are now).

The Cubs bulls eye logo would be on the left thigh (as it is now), but the same size as the shoulder patch.

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

Archived