Unique equipment

Ark

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lolol. How does adding padding to the outside of the helmet help?

The point is to soften the impact of helmet to helmet collisions.

Two hard helmets banging together is loud and you can only imagine the effects. Two soft helmets dissipate the force and protect the head.
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

lolol. How does adding padding to the outside of the helmet help?

The point is to soften the impact of helmet to helmet collisions.

Two hard helmets banging together is loud and you can only imagine the effects. Two soft helmets dissipate the force and protect the head.

I imagine it will only take one player with concussion history to wear one and rave about it for the rest of the league to follow... Probably won't be for a few years at the soonest though

Very interesting! Certainly looks odd, but I'm curious as to how you'd brand those with a logo.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Prince Naseem Hamed had some pretty unique gear:

hamcr2tg.jpg

But now he's fat:

_50043542_prince_naseem_512.jpg

On the topic of boxers, this was a pretty distinctive look:

Mike_Tyson_Biography.jpg

As was Lennox Lewis' hair dos:

Lewis.jpg

And speaking of hair, Shannon Briggs always looked like a goof:

ShannonBriggs.jpg

I bet the OP didn't imagine boxing would make its way into this thread.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Calvin Murphy's cut-away hockey helmet (I'd love to know the story behind this):

5186817051_5d4ee2ecb9.jpg

pg2_g_murphy_400.jpg

Per google, Murphy suffered a concussion from an elbow to the head. He missed 3 games and returned wearing that reconstructed helmet which apparently didn't deter his game at all.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

George Brett's pine tar

090622_gbrett7.jpg

Does a bat with pine tar on it really qualify as "unique?" B)

I don't know how old you are, but Google George Brett pine tar incident. Billy Martin when he was mannager of the Yankees called to the attention of the ump that his bat had too much pine tar. Brett's reaction was priceless.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

George Brett's pine tar

090622_gbrett7.jpg

I don't know how old you are, but Google George Brett pine tar incident. Billy Martin when he was mannager of the Yankees called to the attention of the ump that his bat had too much pine tar. Brett's reaction was priceless.

What actually is pine tar?

Calvin Murphy's cut-away hockey helmet (I'd love to know the story behind this):

5186817051_5d4ee2ecb9.jpg

pg2_g_murphy_400.jpg

Per google, Murphy suffered a concussion from an elbow to the head. He missed 3 games and returned wearing that reconstructed helmet which apparently didn't deter his game at all.

And why blue?

I had to check the date of the article - 1980. At first I thought he wound up with a blue helmet because they just snagged one from the old Houston Aeros since they wore blue, but the Aeros were long gone by 1980. Maybe there was still one hanging around the equipment room at the arena fromt the Aeros so they used it anyway?

George Brett's pine tar

090622_gbrett7.jpg

What actually is pine tar?

Pine tar is mainly tree sap rubbed on bats to make the handle sticky and create a better grip. It got started before batting gloves were introduced to the game.

noutep2-med.gifnmst2-med.gifnmst1-med.gifnonmex-med.gif

Go Aggies!

Pat Lafontaine's helmet protecting a broken jaw.

000546765.jpg

Bill Durnan's blocker/trapper hybrid.

Front_durnan.jpg

Durnan was an ambidextrous goalie, equally adept at using his right or left hand (he wore special gloves that permitted him to catch with either hand while still holding his stick)
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived