World Yakball Cup

raysox

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

South Africa updated!

OYC.png

The smallest tournament of qualifying was Oceania, but Australia and New Zealand were solid teams and had a good match up to be. It was the first match up of the tournament in Aukland. Jordan Kyne led the Aussies over the All Greys in a hard fought, back and forth game. The two best teams in the league got their match up out of the way, with Australia having the upper hand in the group. Fiji and Tahiti had their game in Christchurch, the Tahitian team?s game plan worked in shutting down the Fiji enforcers, leading to a 10 point low scoring win.

New Zealand had the task of fighting back and hoping the Australians lost twice, the only way they could advance. The All Greys thumped Fiji by 24, and did their side of the deal in Dunedin. Australia came out fast against Tahiti in Wellington, ruining the dreams of New Zealand, who could only hope to tie the Australians? record, but lose on head to head.

New Zealand had one more game against Tahiti for pride. They won easily by 21, sending the Wellington team home with some sort of prize. The Aussies were wrapping up their New Zealand tour against Fiji, and the 8th best team in the world only looked better, a large win against the 0-2 Fiji team who had no shot from the beginning.

http://3.bp.blogspot...600/Oceania.png

Australia

Pretty simple deal with Australia. The icon is a kangaroo silhouette with the southern cross under it's back legs on a crest. Nothing really too out of the box. The field has a southern cross on it.

Australia.png

The jerseys are reincarnations of the World Cup uniforms I did for them in 2010, I really liked the piping i used, so I brought it back. I put another cross on the back to add something

AustraliaUnis.png

Pretty simple deal with Australia. I did a kangaroo silhouette with the southern cross over top on a crest. Nothing really too out of the box. The field has a southern cross on it. I actually just updated the crest, hope you like!

Australia.png

The jerseys are reincarnations of the World Cup uniforms I did for them in 2010, I really liked the piping i used, so I brought it back. I put another cross on the back to add something

AustraliaUnis.png

Did you do the silhouette, or did Davidson?

aus3.png?1332346554

It looks like you edited the Australia logo to put stars on top of, rather than below, the kangaroo. This is good, because it originally looked like the kangaroo was pooping stars.

rATMcmK.png

Pretty simple deal with Australia. I did a kangaroo silhouette with the southern cross over top on a crest. Nothing really too out of the box. The field has a southern cross on it. I actually just updated the crest, hope you like!

Australia.png

AustraliaUnis.png

Did you do the silhouette, or did Davidson?

aus3.png?1332346554

I would love to see more of that Davidson concept? got a link?

Other than, as Whittier mentioned, the kangaroo looking like it's pooping stars, Australia looks pretty much just as it should! I like the shoulder stripes a lot; if they were a three-color team, I'd think about filling in the top of the arms with the third color like with some hockey jerseys, but that's irrelevant here, just my mind spitting out whatever it happens to think of. Speaking of Australia not being a three-color team, though, I would like to second lancealot's suggestion of making the numbers on the home kit green and keeping blue out of it entirely.

And South Africa's update is fantastic! I'm sure it probably pained you somewhat to take their flag out of the shirt, and while the flag looked cool, what you've got now is stellar. The striping/piping remains unique (at least as far as I know) and gives a much greater sense of movement than the thick stripe you had before; I think the white highlights down the front really seal the deal.

Other than, as Whittier mentioned, the kangaroo looking like it's pooping stars, Australia looks pretty much just as it should!

And South Africa's update is fantastic! I'm sure it probably pained you somewhat to take their flag out of the shirt, and while the flag looked cool, what you've got now is stellar. The striping/piping remains unique (at least as far as I know) and gives a much greater sense of movement than the thick stripe you had before; I think the white highlights down the front really seal the deal.

+1

Whats yakball

It's a sport I made up and started making concepts for. I did a 16 team US and Canadian league, but my photobucket is down so all the concepts wont show in the original thread. You can find everything your heart desires about it on my blog

Rules

http://sportslogospot.blogspot.com/2012/03/alright-you-guys.html

Concepts

http://sportslogospot.blogspot.com/search/label/Yakball

Welcome to my universe!

But thanks for the bump. I'll post Europe tomorrow and then the results to the cup later

I love brazil's jerseys they're amazing I would totally buy those.

I was looking at your website and you should make the logo for your portfolio link to your portfolio website when you click on it instead of just bringing you to a picture of your portfolio logo.

Thanks man, I played really good last night when we took the pictures!

EYC.png

What some are calling the most competitive yakball tournament to date, the class of Europe headed to England to face off with the top 6 teams advancing to the WYC. England led off the festivities in London against Spain. The Spaniards gave England a scare by leading at half, but Joseph Southall led a furious comeback and England won by 7. The Danish team and Italian team faced off in Leeds looking to tie up the English team. The Italian?s speed outplayed the Danish strength in a 43-37 win for the Azurri. One of the favorites in the tournament opened group B, Russia was in Newcastle playing Finland. The Fins were outmatched by the precision of the Russians, and lost by 14. The other Group B matchup was Ireland and France in Sheffield. Both side?s fans were loud and rowdy. The French side pulled away late in a 8 point victory. The Swedish team had their opening game against Wales in Manchester, which was almost a home game for Wales. The crowd showed up big and led the 27th ranked team over the 6th ranked team putting Wales in a good position to advance. Scotland was also in the group, and they showed up against Greece in Nottingham. James McAlister went 15 and 9 and led the Scots to a victory. Finally, Group D started with a bang. A favorite in Germany faced off against the Ukraine in Birmingham. Germany dismantled the Ukrainian defense every time down the field. Captain Jonas Müller led the Germans with 19 points in a 25 point win over a very good Ukrainian team. The Netherlands and Poland national team had the last game in round one in Liverpool. The Dutch team actually had a worse rank than the Ukrainian team, but they played better, atleast against their opponent. The Polish team had a 4 point lead after 1, but the Dutch went on a run and never looked back.

England and Italy were the two teams playing in Manchester, which ultimately would decide the winner of group A. Southall and Giuseppe Rossi matched eachother point for point, with the English team coming out on top 43-41. The Spanish and Danish teams were matched up in Newcastle, the Spanish team once again had the lead, but the Danes shut down the scoring late and the Danes were able to take the lead and hold on. France and Finland had their match in Sheffield. The French had their star center Jacques Garreau injured in the game late when the game was in hand. It could ultimately ruin the French?s chances. The Russians were in Liverpool playing Ireland. The Irish were shut down by the strong Russian side who is the 5th best team in the world, with a 13 point victory. The Scottish team was playing Sweden in London, with a chance to eliminate the 6th best team in the world. Henrik Larsson had none of that, and led the Swedes to a 5 point victory. Greece and Wales had their game in Manchester, with Wales looking to advance to the knockout stage. The Greeks matched the Welsh team point for point, and overpowered the underdog Welsh team and won. The historic rivals Germany and the Netherlands had a match in Leeds, the German machine took a 10 point lead into the half, and the Dutch team closed the gap to 4, before the Germans went on a 10-0 run and iced it. The Euro 2012 hosts had the last game of the second round of games, and the Ukrainian team had a comfortable win over Poland in Nottingham, eliminating them.

The Danish needed a win and an Italy loss to advance to the finals. The Italians had the advantage over Spanish team in Liverpool, but both teams wanted to win the last game for their own reasons. Rossi carried the Azurri to a win, and a place in the knockout stage. The English team had the Danes wanting to win, even though they wouldn?t advance. The English team had the hometown crowd in Birmingham carry them and lead them to the victory, and an undefeated record in the group stage. France had their best player out for the game against Russia, which would just decide the seed in the knockout. The lack of one of the best centers in the game hurt the French, and the Russians took advantage and beat France in Leeds. The Irish and Fins played for pride, with the winner finishing 3rd in group B. The Irish fans traveled to Sheffield and the Irish sent them home happy with a 40-32 win. Group C was all tied up 1-1 with the winner of both games advancing. The two Great Brittan rivals Scotland and Wales played in Newcastle, the 9th best team in the world showed why they have that ranking and pulled away after half and advanced to the knockout stage. The Greeks had a chance to be one of the lowest ranking teams to advance, but the 6th best team in the world was in their way. The Swedes took a 3 point lead into the half, and that was the closest the score would be the rest of the game as they pulled away as they won in Nottingham. Ukraine and Holland were playing to advance, with the winner doing so in London. The Ukrainians had the better team, but the Dutch were playing better. Holland?s strong starting wings, including Steven Van Dijk accounted for half of the Dutch points, and led them to the win by 5. Manchester was the site of the last game of the group stages. Germany was looking to go undefeated, and they did so as they beat Poland by 16 while resting their stars for the group stages.

The first match up of the knockout stage was England-France in Liverpool. The centuries old rivals battled it out but with France still being injures, England took advantage and won the game qualifying for the semifinals and the WYC. France would go to an elimination game between the loser of Sweden and Holland. The Dutch crowd was eager to face the Swedes who were proven to be beatable, but the fans that traveled to Newcastle were sent home unhappy as Sweden hung on after a late Dutch run to win 52-48. Russia and Italy matched up in Leeds hoping to qualify. The Russians who haven?t played to their first potential finally beat up on a team that was proven. Italy had an early 5-0 lead, but a timeout by the Russian coach turned the game around. Italy would face the loser of Germany-Scotland who were playing in Birmingham. The Germans were showing to be the best team of the tournament by sweeping Group D, and facing off against Scotland, the best opponent they faced so far. The Scottish team had more fans, but the Germans and their clockwork passes led the team to a 49-42 victory. France and Holland were in Sheffield playing for the right to be in the WYC. France?s Garreau got the start, but wasn?t effective because of the injury. Holland showed their colors and beat the French team and qualifying for the tournament in the US. Italy and Scotland had a showdown in Manchester, the better of the two elimination games. A back and forth game, the only difference maker was Scotland?s inability to stay out of the penalty box. Italy won by 5, and qualified. The Scottish coach was on the hot seat.

The final 4 would take place in London. England and Sweden would be the first match up, with Germany and Russia immediately after. England had the crowd, but Sweden had the lead at half. The halftime talk must?ve worked, because the English team opened with 8 straight points, but the Swedes had Larsson who put up 18 points. Southall countered and led England to victory. The Russians and Germans had the best game to date. Both teams entered the game undefeated, and they played like it. The Germans rallied with 4 points in the last 2 minutes to send the game to overtime, 40-40. The Russians and Germans matched eachother possession to possession for two more overtimes. The score was 52-52 going into the 3rd. The Russians were put a man down on a rough hit on Müller. That was the break the Germans needed and they scored 3 on the powerplay putting the game out of reach. The epic final between England and Germany was set. Germany took a 6 point lead to half. England countered with a big run, and a 2 point lead starting the 4th. Germany scored with 20 seconds left with a 1 point lead. The English rushed the shot, and the Germans took the ball and held on for the championship.

Europe.png

Germany

I tried to do a similar effect like the event logo, but with the German flag's colors arching over the DFB eagle. It took a while to get right, but I finally got it all to fit in a circle. I just added another line and Deutsch Yakball Verein, which is "German Yakball Team"

Germany.png

The uniforms are based off of the soccer team's uniforms of a few years back. I loved the flag running up the back. I put it on the same template as canada. The road is my favorite, the soccer team has used green before, so I made it more of an army green. Imagine the US's red stripes against those things. Oh man.

GermanyUnis.png

German logo looks awesome, love the arching flag colors. On the jerseys, the home looks solid. Wouldn't have chosen green for the clash myself, but you made it work nicely. Another nice set and looking forward to seeing Sweden's.

P.S. Is there any chance you will end up going back and doing countries who didn't qualify? Because I would have loved to have seen one for Israel...

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

Sorry I haven't posted this yet, for whatever reason, it kept grouping it with the Germany post

England

This one isn't that special, I used the 3 lions crest from the soccer team. I did add a red outline around it, and darkened up the blue to five it a deeper feeling. This team was all about simplicity

England.png

The white uniforms has the English flag on the chest, similar to the old Wayne Rooney ad. I wanted to limit the color on that, but make the red pop when I used it. Same with the white n the red kit.

EnglandUnis.png

Archived