Los Angeles Stars NFL Expansion

fkaKrock5cent

Hello again, concepts section!

I figured you all might be getting a little bored with the AFL Redesign series I have going right now so I figured I'd hit you with something a little different. This is a re-visit of a design I did in 2009 for the Draw Brawl competition here on the boards. The challenge for that particular event was to make an NFL expansion franchise in the Los Angeles area. You can see the original design and concept thread here.

A quick summary of what I changed

1. The colors are now black, white, silver, and gold. I don't know why I thought of gold when I thought of spotlights before. I also have a gradient in the wordmark which might be risky but I figured I'd give it a shot.

2. The shape of the spotlights have changed to be more dynamic and easy to recognize

3. The uniform is much more fitting to both the modern trends and my style as a designer. I used the spotlight pattern throughout the uniform both on the numbers and on the pants stripe. As always, I used the Pro Combat template.

stars.png

LAStarsUniforms-1.png

Now a final note, I am posting a logo for the sake of design critique, not opening up a discussion as to whether or not Los Angeles will get a football team. I don't know what you might think of LA getting a football team, and I don't care. I just want a discussion about the logos/team name. THAT'S IT! I hate to come off as rude or self absorbed but I despise reading page after page of tangents as to what markets deserve football teams, when the logos and uniforms are what matter here.

Thanks again for your time!

Wow, I love it....alot.

I generally dislikes "patterns" inside numbers and stuff like that, but the way you presented it, the pattern is perfect and you pulled it off. It definitely fits the team for sure.

Great job!!

EDIT:

Just noticed something. I was too focused on the spotlights to notice this: the wordmarks. The letters are too zig-zaggy. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I would highly suggest you put all of the letters on one line, which will make it MUCH easier to read and less distracting.

EDIT:

Just noticed something. I was too focused on the spotlights to notice this: the wordmarks. The letters are too zig-zaggy. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but I would highly suggest you put all of the letters on one line, which will make it MUCH easier to read and less distracting.

I was trying to emulate the Hollywood sign in the font but I can see where its distracting. If enough people find it distracting I might change it.

Thanks!

EDIT:

I was trying to emulate the Hollywood sign in the font but I can see where its distracting. If enough people find it distracting I might change it.

Thanks!

Maybe if you named the team the 'Hollywood Stars' it could work but if it's the LA Stars, then I don't think I'll be a fan of it.

I think it's way too close to Dallas' logo to ever be considered. It's a good idea, idk if it's good enough for the NFL, but I'd think this would be absolutely ideal for an arena or indoor team trying to hack it out there

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Interesting idea. Love the searchlights pattern and the Hollywood sign inspired text. My only problem being that it feels like there's not enough contrast between the text and the background. Losing the gradients in the text would help here.

And as others have said above, yes, it does look very similar to the Dallas Stars logo. You could remove the text, but the creates the issue of this team looking too similar to the Cowboys. Maybe you'd be better off going with a simple LA as opposed to the full Stars text?

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

EDIT:

Thanks!

I thought that might be what you were going for, but I don't think it works in this case. In the STARS mark especially it just looks like the T is misaligned. For this treatment to work I think the letters would need to be just plain white, no gradients or outlines.

It's like the Dallas Stars logo and the NBA All Star logo from a few years back mated and this was the result.

I understand "inspiration" vs thievary, and clearly this is not a rip, but it is still a little too close to both of those logos.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It's like the Dallas Stars logo and the NBA All Star logo from a few years back mated and this was the result.

I understand "inspiration" vs thievary, and clearly this is not a rip, but it is still a little too close to both of those logos.

Agreed. When I look at this all I see is the NBA All Star logo when it was in Dallas a few years ago. That logo I thought was genius.

Exactly what I was thinking. Also, the color scheme on the Alt. unit is too close to the Saints IMO.

I really like the staggered font on the Los Angeles Logo's, great idea, but I'd ditch it on the Stars word Logo.

Maybe if you named the team the 'Hollywood Stars'...

There used to be a minor league baseball team called the Hollywood Stars, not sure if they'd run into any trouble there.

There was an ABA team called the LA Stars as well.

So it's fair to say that the reaction to this has been pretty mixed. I'm glad most of you like the uniforms (particularly the pants) but I think I'll have to go back to the drawling board a little on the logo. I'm keeping the overall concept of the star, even the average fan can distinguish this between the cowboys and Dallas stars. I think it just needs something different to distinguish it.

Archived