2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

Overall, not TERRIBLE.... the jerseys are definitely carrying the whole uniform, though, as the shorts are very plain and boring. I'm also disappointed that they still won't use the team name at home: they aren't the New York New York, they're the New York Knicks.

Generally I agree with the "Home Name Road City" set up, but the Knicks make the city name on the home uniform work. Not only is it part of their aesthetic tradition, but with the Nets choosing to emphasize Brooklyn the Knicks have a chance to market themselves as the team for the rest of the city.

But yet their (laughable) new slogan is "Once a Knick, Always a Knick". Makes no sense to emphasize the team name in your marketing but emphasize the city name on the court.

In all fairness, though, their uniforms are well established enough that they actually say "Knicks" without literally saying "Knicks".

At least until this debacle.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall, not TERRIBLE.... the jerseys are definitely carrying the whole uniform, though, as the shorts are very plain and

boring. I'm also disappointed that they still won't use the team name at home: they aren't the New York New York, they're the New York Knicks.

Generally I agree with the "Home Name Road City" set up, but the Knicks make the city name on the home uniform work. Not only is it part of their aesthetic tradition, but with the Nets choosing to emphasize Brooklyn the Knicks have

a chance to market themselves as the team for the rest of the city.

But yet their (laughable) new slogan is "Once a Knick, Always a Knick". Makes no sense to emphasize the team name in your marketing but emphasize the city name on the court.

Actually, it makes sense. The New York on the uniform has always been there, and there is really no reason to change just to fit with the rest of the NBA, whose current style only came into play after they started wearing New York. And they're the only basketball team to call themselves from New York, which means they don't need nicknames on the jerseys to identify them, since they're from New York (which also means that they are going to get plenty of national TV games, so the "the home fans see them by the nickname, road fans see them by the city" doesn't work). A slogan is really only going to be sold to home fans, so no need to emphasize New York. And it also is a reason to convince Brooklynites or desperate Knicks fans who want to switch teams to the Nets to always be Knick fans.

As for the jerseys, apparently the stupid cut off trim is to emphasize the New York script, which wouldn't need emphasizing if they just kept it the same and if it wasn't so squished. The numbers are way too thin, so it ends up looking like a knock-off. The silver trim's a downgrade from the black trim, because at least the black trim contrasted with the orange, while the gray just muddles thing up. I prefer the NYK logo over the Knicks in ball one, so that's also a downgrade. Frankly, these are a downgrade, and might be the worst since either the blue late-90's, or the Bernard King ones. I loves the previous uniforms, and the only thing I thought they should have changed was to make the inner black side panel on the aways white.

07Giants.pngnyy.png

Any word on if those 90's throwback unis are actually happening/when they will be unveiled?

I hope it's really happening. I haven't seen anything from the Jazz yet concerning them on facebook (thier page usually contains the same info and updates as the team website). If it really is happening, I can't wait to see the purple mountain majesties one more time. Not the best look in team history, but it's what they wore when I was a kid so it's that nostalgia factor for me.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

The arm hole trim being cut short IS actually an adidas style as they have it done with 3 of their college teams last season, Louisville, Cincinnati, and Baylor. Also dont forget these jersey were designed 2 years ago for the purpose of being debuted last year.

lou.jpg

images.jpg

cin.jpg

As for my opinion on the jersey, am I disappointed, No. Its what I expect from Paul Lukas description 2011 offseason saying it will look plain like the Cavs jersey. I have no problem with the solid color waistband nor the short trim armhole. My grips are the NEW New York wordmark making the jersey look like a cheap knockoff you can find from a street vendor, and unnecessary grey not being needed. Cleveland has navy in their logo and its not being used in their uniforms, therefore grey didn't have to be used. Did I want more, yes, because I think their uniform are too plain. Am I disappointed, no, because it could have been alot worst by letting Adidas have complete control over the uniform design.

FYI: As someone said New York wordmark on their uniforms are too established for them to be like everyone else and put KNICKS on the front of their uniforms. Thats like the Lakers putting Los Angeles on their road jersey. Yes they both have been done before but both the Lakers and Knicks go for the wordmark that is more established, popular, recognizable in their long historic years as a franchise. Why change it?

The "Once a Knick, Always A Knick" is something plenty of former Knicks have said Marcus Camby, Kurt Thomas and Larry Johnson. So i have no problem with that but I would have like to see a slogan all New Yorker us to connect with the Knicks... "Go NY, Go NY, Go!"

suns.com has what I was told is a "sneak preview" of a potential new logo and script hints.

29asa3m.jpg

"Suns" script? Awesome. The logo? GAH someone kill that thing. The tweaks don't help it. The only tweak that could fix that is to replace "PHX" with "Suns". Seriously, abbreviated city names need to stay out of basketball logos and uniforms. It's just a peeve of mine when it comes to sports branding. "PHX", "ATL", "NOLA", etc. Spell out your city name, and save your abbreviation for scoreboards and fashion jerseys. Also, "Streaking Sun" logo >>>>>>> flaming ball logo.

/rant. But again, I do like that "Suns" script alot. So long as they keep "PHX" off at least the roadie, I see some potential for the uniforms should that particular font indeed be emphasized.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

That's odd that they have that up now, I thought logo changes are introduced earlier on in the off season. They haven't officially released anything yet either. And from the rumors, the change wouldn't happen until the 2013-2014 season. We'll just have to wait and see

Aside from the 3d shading and the "blue-ish" purple I sorta like the upgrade. The script would be nice with a new "streaking sun" logo.

And yeah it's kinda weird they'd throw it up now without any sort of formal announcement, especially since next year is the "rebranding" of sorts.

I'd have less of an issue with the new Knicks unis if they went out on a limb and tried something completely new an it bombed. What they did here was just overthink themselves trying to make it look like the classics but with all these modern twists. It's a steaming mess.

Been said by others but worth saying again, the Knicks unis look like cheap Chinese knock-offs of themselves, BAD.

Also PHX, along with all the other shortened city names, need to die, now.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The numbering on those NY uniforms won't look like what was shown in the reveal.

pDIT-13318432dt.jpg

p13782775dt.jpg

These are photoshops. They are often inaccurate. What you saw the players modeling is what you will see on the court.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The numbering on those NY uniforms won't look like what was shown in the reveal.

pDIT-13318432dt.jpg

p13782775dt.jpg

These are photoshops. They are often inaccurate. What you saw the players modeling is what you will see on the court.

Those photoshops actually look lightyears better than the actual product.

Archived