2012-13 NBA Logo & Uniform changes

Conrad.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nah, it just looks like a basketball jersey is supposed to look. The wishbone collars are the ones that look silly to me.

The oddly truncated armholes are one of the dumbest "features" I've ever seen on a uniform. Also, changing the wordmark as much as they did without totally reimagining it falls into the uncanny valley of Wal-Mart Counterfeit. Stong work, Adidas.

On the first part, thank you. I agree 100%. Crewneck collars ARE basketball uniforms. V-necks work for some teams (not the Spurs), but every other style is terrible.

On the second point, I agree. These are terrible. There was no reason to change the "New York" font or the number font. These look like souvenir jerseys a tourist would buy at the Empire State Building, where they were just different enough from the actual Knicks jerseys to not violate copywrite laws.

The Celtics have a solid waistband. Granted they have a clover in front of there's.

Wow. Seriously?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Are we in agreement that the Phoenix Suns logo from 1992 to 2000 are better than the current? I loved those.

5329.gif

Absolutely. That logo was great. The current one is terrible. First off, PHX is the :censored:ing airport, not the city. It shouldn't appear on any logos, certainly not on the primary. Secondly, whereas the above logo is clearly a sun, nothing about the new logo says "suns". It's a basketball with flames and a phoenix above it. Their name isn't the Phoenix Phoenix (sorry, PHX Phoenix). They were named after the city, not the bird.

The tweaked logo is slightly better than the last one, but it still blows. Same with the court. At least they don't look like kids playing at a rec center anymore, as they have the lanes and out-of-bounds colored in. However, they still refuse to realize that their colors are, and should always be, purple and orange. Black is passable as a little-used tertiary and gray should never appear ever.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Spurs alts are amazing in my book. They're very simple, yet somehow people keep calling them crazy. I love everything about them. If the logo was a little bit bigger I'd love them more, but love is love. I can't wait to see them in action, and I'm glad a classy, smart organization with a good identity took this step first. They did it right, in a way I couldn't picture the Kings or Bobcats doing it. Kudos!

Interesting reasoning for the off-center logo:

?We are introducing a new and unique Spurs jersey this coming season,? said Rick Pych, Spurs Sports & Entertainment President of Business Operations. ?The new design simply features our iconic ?spur? logo and it is positioned over the heart as it has such enormously deep roots with our team, fans and the entire community. /quote]

http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/120919_spurs_unveil_alternate_jersey

That being said really should have had "San Antonio" written on it. Maybe that will be the case for the road alternatives.

Nah, it just looks like a basketball jersey is supposed to look. The wishbone collars are the ones that look silly to me.

The oddly truncated armholes are one of the dumbest "features" I've ever seen on a uniform. Also, changing the wordmark as much as they did without totally reimagining it falls into the uncanny valley of Wal-Mart Counterfeit. Stong work, Adidas.

On the first part, thank you. I agree 100%. Crewneck collars ARE basketball uniforms. V-necks work for some teams (not the Spurs), but every other style is terrible.

On the second point, I agree. These are terrible. There was no reason to change the "New York" font or the number font. These look like souvenir jerseys a tourist would buy at the Empire State Building, where they were just different enough from the Knick's actually jerseys to not violate copywrite laws.

The Celtics have a solid waistband. Granted they have a clover in front of there's.

Wow. Seriously?

Check your own spelling and grammar first. B)

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I've looked at the Spurs jerseys for a while and still can't decide if I like them or not. After getting past the initial shock of just seeing a logo on the front, I don't think they're that bad. Definitely not my favorite basketball uniforms, but not bad. I would have loved if they just made a gray version of their home uniforms.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

120919_jersey_300x450.jpg

WHOA!

I like the "SA" monogram, but not quite sure of the radical front...a bit too "TATC" for me.

Agree it may be a little "TATC", but knowing the NBA, next year 2 or 3 more teams may sport the same look. Someone make sure the creative dept in Charlotte doesn't see this. :lol:

As for the look itself, I actually really like it....

Love this alternate and I think you are correct, plenty of copycats in the future. I can easily see a Fleur de Bee version for the Hornets.

23_zps072e6f9a.jpg

Another pic off instagram

Those colors remind me of the Barkley era sets.Wonder if they're doing a modernization like the Blue Jays did.I also found this article saying phoenix wouldn't get new uniforms until 2013. http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/20120724phoenix-suns-plan-back-black-next-season.html

I don't dabble in the concepts much, but if this secondary logo trend is going to spread I would love to see one of the streaking Suns basketball across the jersey. That would be awesome!

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Archived