Lycan38's NHL - Senators Added

Lycan38

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pens' home and road are way too Bruins-like, made worse with both teams wearing black and gold. Definitely should redo those, maybe taking more inspiration from the team's past like you did with the third jersey, which I absolutely love. The robo-penguin-in-circle is probably the best treatment of that you could get, and I don't think I've seen anybody do it. Plus to have the 76-92 pattern, but done in baby blue...someone could tell me that it was a legit Winter Classic jersey and I'd be very pleased. Fantastic work there. Seriously, rethink the home and road (but don't simply match them to the third, that would ruin the third's uniqueness) before moving on with this one.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I like Tampa Bay's jerseys, but the logo is too simple.

Carolina looks good as well, but on the home, make the checkered squares on the waist stripe the same shade of red as the rest of the jersey.

Pittsburgh's primaries look good, but lose the shoulder yoke and the front numbers. Also, I'm not a fan of the fauxback. The robo-pen is a very modern-looking logo and thus looks really bad and out-of-place on a 70's inspired jersey. Also, the biggest problem with Pittsburgh's early jerseys was the poor colour distribution - two tone blue jerseys with a black/yellow logo, and this alt suffers the same problem.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Tampa Bay: Needs some silver and navy trim around the logo too.

Carolina: The alt is nice, but the faded red squares is not a good looking idea. If you want to use faded colors in your concept, I'd suggest maybe a gradient on the body of the jersey like red fading to black somewhere, but keep the warning flag stripe the way it is now.

Penguins: Looks way too much like Boston. If you flipped gold for yellow, you'd have Bruins jerseys. I'd go with something a little bit more different than the Bruins. The alt is nice. I didn't even notice that it's the robo-penguin inside a circle until now.

That Carolina set is incredible! Seriously, I never realized how adding a bunch of black to the white jerseys would look so much better, and then the Hartford-inspired third is absolutely perfect. It looks vintage, without overdoing it, and doesn't go out of its way to say it's Whalers - Those who realize it will see it, otherwise, it's just vintage-looking.

Really the only thing to change, is to make the squares on the white jersey red, and probably balance them out by making the stripes above and below them gray. It's not because it doesn't look good, it's because it doesn't make sense to have gray hurricane flags, which don't exist. That's my biggest problem with their current third, actually. It just doesn't make logical sense. That switch shouldn't make much of a difference.

The Lightning look really really good too now. There have been so many Lightning concepts on here lately that I kinda glossed over the first version, it looked too similar to the rest. That one stands out, even if the changes are minor. However, BOLTS still doesn't make much sense, especially beyond a third jersey, which is supposed to be a little "out there". Try for a "Tampa Bay" wordmark, maybe similar to what Air Force uses on their hockey jerseys. It would certainly work, even if you went with the Rangers/Colorado look with just a diagonal name.

Amazing concepts, can't wait to see the Pens.

Did some more updating to Lightning and Hurricanes.

Carolina Hurricanes (update-2)

CARHurricanes1A.png

Did a color swap. Warning pattern is now the right color and grey stripes instead of red.

Tampa Bay Lightning (update-2)

TBLightning1B.png

Swapped out the "Bolts" script for what I had used previously for the shoulder patch. I think that looks much better as the primary on the jersey. Also, added 20th anniversary patch to the shoulder.

Thanks much, believe those will be the final fixes I do to those two jerseys. Finally got my revised Penguins concept done.

Pittsburgh Penguins (update)

PITPenguinsfinal1A.png

For the home and road decided to go with another pre-edge era jersey. Recreated it to the best of my ability. Also, on the alt,did some minor color adjusting to the shoulder patch and main logo.

Florida Panthers

FLAPanthers1A.png

These were inspired by what the Panthers wore from 98-03 (if I remember correctly). Tweaked a little, the collar was inspired by the Nashville Predators.

Like the home and road, though it bothers me that the diagonal stripes aren't parallel with the edges of the triangle behind the Penguin. that's why the original version of those worked so well, it was appealing to the eye because of that, in my opinion.

The other thing is that you changed the third jersey logo. I realize that it introduces more colors, and wouldn't be done if it were invented today, but jerseys are not designed in a creative vacuum. There is a distinct precedent for the black/gold on blue/blue, and believe it or not, it looks good in person. I've worn the 74-75 jersey around, the baby blue Winter Classic jersey with only the skating penguin on it, and you'd be amazed the compliments I get. It works, and almost promotes a nostalgia factor simply from the colors. My coach once remarked, "it looks good because they don't do stuff like that anymore, it looks old-timey."

Beyond that, and more importantly, is that again, there's a logical disconnect. The triangle in the back is not simply there to look good, or because it's the shape they decided worked best. It represents the "Golden Triangle" of downtown Pittsburgh where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio. We all know the Golden Triangle here, because it's what made the city important in the first place, way back to Fort Duquesne in the 1760s. There's a meaning behind that feature, though subtle, that if you change the color, becomes completely lost, and quite frankly, ruins the logo.

Specifically for the Robo-Penguin, everybody kinda assumes that the penguin is standing in front of the gold triangle, and it is, but when it was unveiled, they also said that it was standing in front of the rising sun, for the new birth the team was having with the cup wins. The logo just happens to be cut triangularly. Making it blue loses that, too.

If you want to change anything about that logo, I was told once that the horizontal lines in the black part, which really make no sense, were put there as a subtle advertisement. Allegedly, Mellon Bank, a Pittsburgh staple and who owned the naming rights to Mellon Arena for the last 15 years or so, paid a few million dollars for that to be included as a subtle reminder of their logo. I've not seen things to substantiate that, but considering the Pens' financial position when that came out in 1993, and the fact they changed uniforms and logos following back-to-back cup wins, I wouldn't be that surprised if it were true.

As for the Panthers, the designs look really busy with the stripes. It's especially apparent with little things like the white stripe near the bottom of the white jersey. The pattern looks rather similar to the Lightning jerseys and the Carolina third, maybe for this team, who has very little in the way of positive history, you should look to mix it up a bit.

Like the home and road, though it bothers me that the diagonal stripes aren't parallel with the edges of the triangle behind the Penguin. that's why the original version of those worked so well, it was appealing to the eye because of that, in my opinion.

The other thing is that you changed the third jersey logo. I realize that it introduces more colors, and wouldn't be done if it were invented today, but jerseys are not designed in a creative vacuum. There is a distinct precedent for the black/gold on blue/blue, and believe it or not, it looks good in person. I've worn the 74-75 jersey around, the baby blue Winter Classic jersey with only the skating penguin on it, and you'd be amazed the compliments I get. It works, and almost promotes a nostalgia factor simply from the colors. My coach once remarked, "it looks good because they don't do stuff like that anymore, it looks old-timey."

Beyond that, and more importantly, is that again, there's a logical disconnect. The triangle in the back is not simply there to look good, or because it's the shape they decided worked best. It represents the "Golden Triangle" of downtown Pittsburgh where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers meet to form the Ohio. We all know the Golden Triangle here, because it's what made the city important in the first place, way back to Fort Duquesne in the 1760s. There's a meaning behind that feature, though subtle, that if you change the color, becomes completely lost, and quite frankly, ruins the logo.

Specifically for the Robo-Penguin, everybody kinda assumes that the penguin is standing in front of the gold triangle, and it is, but when it was unveiled, they also said that it was standing in front of the rising sun, for the new birth the team was having with the cup wins. The logo just happens to be cut triangularly. Making it blue loses that, too.

If you want to change anything about that logo, I was told once that the horizontal lines in the black part, which really make no sense, were put there as a subtle advertisement. Allegedly, Mellon Bank, a Pittsburgh staple and who owned the naming rights to Mellon Arena for the last 15 years or so, paid a few million dollars for that to be included as a subtle reminder of their logo. I've not seen things to substantiate that, but considering the Pens' financial position when that came out in 1993, and the fact they changed uniforms and logos following back-to-back cup wins, I wouldn't be that surprised if it were true.

As for the Panthers, the designs look really busy with the stripes. It's especially apparent with little things like the white stripe near the bottom of the white jersey. The pattern looks rather similar to the Lightning jerseys and the Carolina third, maybe for this team, who has very little in the way of positive history, you should look to mix it up a bit.

Thanks for the feedback. I wasn't too happy with the "new" design for the Pens, gonna start from scratch again and come up with something different. For the Pens alts, was testing the color change. Will go back to the original colors. Actually prefer it myself. Panthers will be getting an update as well. Have another design in mind for them.

Edit: Did some updating.

Pittsburgh Penguins (update-2)

PITPenguinsfinal1C-2.png

Made a slight adjustment to the jersey. Instead of starting from scratch. Also, returned the original alt concept.

After reading hockey week's post, I agree with him. It does have an old-timey feel to it because of how much things have changed. Pittsburgh's update and Florida both look good.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Pens look perfect now. It actually harkens back to the 1993 "Pittsburgh" written across the chest jerseys, which people around here love, with that striping design, and looks simply classy. This Pens fan is pleased. Nice work.

Is that suppose to be vintage white? Because next to the maroon, it looks pink-ish.

Yeah, that was what I was going to for (vintage white) made it a bit too dark I guess. Anyway I've updated the Avalanche concept will post the updated version later.

Wait, so basically you're going to have both white and vintage white as part of the colour scheme? You'd be better off having just normal white and thinking of a new colour to work with.

Other than that, this is a nice template you've put together for the Avs. Also, bonus points for losing black and going with blue for the helmet and pants. There's no reason the black should even be there in the first place and they'd look so much better without it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The upcoming update notwithstanding, the use of vintage white here doesn't make sense, and it's not because of anything dealing with the age of the team. Think about it, it's an avalanche. lots of snow rushing at you at tremendous speeds. that should be more with white and maybe silver or light blue than anything, think snow. The silver in their logo captures that perfectly. They've never really utilized that in the jerseys. Maybe the time to do that is now.

WildWing is right, the whole point of vintage white is that it's so old that the white faded, like old wool. To have actual white with vintage white begs the question "why did that part fade but the rest didn't?" The two should definitely not be brought together, and this is coming from someone who doesn't mind vintage white.

Archived