The Future of MLB All-Star Games

raysfan24

Basic thread here. What should change in the MLB All-Star Game? What should we add? What should we ditch? I got the idea from watching Bud Selig answering questions earlier today. The question came up from Alex H., When will Cincinnati host an All-Star Game? Well being a proud resident of the city, I would love to see the Queen City host an All-Star game again. With the new riverfront almost complete, it would be a perfect place for one. Cincinnati is defiantly geared up for one. Getting back on topic, once again, what should we add, subtract, change, and also, where should it be held. Opinions and thoughts below.

mcbqza.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fan voting for starters is absurd. I'm a Nationals fan through and through, but David Wright should be starting. The fact that he's not even there is a flat-out travesty.

Fan voting for starters is absurd. I'm a Nationals fan through and through, but David Wright should be starting. The fact that he's not even there is a flat-out travesty.

Don't forget Brandon Phillips either. Another thing that pissed me off is the fact that Adam Dunn (die-hard Adam Dunn fan) is not in the Home Run Derby! Adam Dunn is a prime example of a pure baseball slugger. The fact that he has never been in a Home Run Derby stuns me. I hate that players get to choose! I wish they would do it like they do it in MLB 12: The Show, pick the top 4 home run hitters from each league.

mcbqza.jpg

- After the Mets in 2013, the Twins should host in 2014. After that some combination of the following ballparks yet to host should have a shot:

Cincinnati (opened in 03)

Philly/San Diego (opened in 04)

Washington (opened in 08)

Miami (opened in 12)

The one thing they could do tomorrow that I would like to see would be to allow the guys in the Home Run Derby to use any type of bat they wanted to.

If Adam Dunn wants to use a titanium allow bat for this, I take no issue with it.

Well for one thing, not everyone wants to host. It's not as big a deal to some cities as it is to others.

I couldn't care less about the ASG, and it wouldn't bother me if it just went away. I loved it as a kid when I didn't have cable and only ever saw AL players on baseball cards. Now it's no big deal.

That being said, the things that need to be changed are:

1. the 1 rep per team requirement. I never understood this. Especially when players have clauses in their contracts giving them $ for all-star selections, it really should be the best that get to go, and someone shouldn't be bumped just because the [insert crap team here] needs to be represented.

2. the home field advantage in the World Series is one of the dumbest ideas of all time. There's simply no argument that can be made to support it.

3. DH at all times, no matter what the park.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Don't forget Brandon Phillips either. Another thing that pissed me off is the fact that Adam Dunn (die-hard Adam Dunn fan) is not in the Home Run Derby! Adam Dunn is a prime example of a pure baseball slugger. The fact that he has never been in a Home Run Derby stuns me. I hate that players get to choose!

I was very upset Phillips didn't get in. As for Dunn I am asuming you and I have the same reason we love Dunn, you saw him as a Dragon in Dayton? As much as I love him, he is not an all star talent. He strikes out way to much

Bucknut40.pngOhioStatebanner.png

#RaiderUp

Twitter-@R_Redinger4 My Blog-Southwest Ohio Football

NCFAF-Wheeling Coal Miners,NCFAF-FCS Lake Erie Shoremen, NCFAB-Wheeling Coal Miners

Don't forget Brandon Phillips either. Another thing that pissed me off is the fact that Adam Dunn (die-hard Adam Dunn fan) is not in the Home Run Derby! Adam Dunn is a prime example of a pure baseball slugger. The fact that he has never been in a Home Run Derby stuns me. I hate that players get to choose!

I was very upset Phillips didn't get in. As for Dunn I am asuming you and I have the same reason we love Dunn, you saw him as a Dragon in Dayton? As much as I love him, he is not an all star talent. He strikes out way to much

The only reason I like Adam Dunn is (I'm not joking either) every single game I have been to that he has played in, he has hit a home run. I was at the game where he smashed the longest home run in Great American Ball Park history, his walk-off grand slam in I believe 2006. Those are just a few games. And I understand that Adam Dunn strikes out about every at bat and his life time average is like .240 but the fact that he has hit at least 35 home runs in every season in his career except for 3 is pretty fascinating. He has power, therefore should get to show it off in the Home Run Derby.

Another thing I must add, I think the voting for pitchers should stay how it is but the fans get to vote who starts. In my opinion, R.A. Dickey should be the starter for the NL tomorrow. I mean Matt Cain is a great pitcher but come on!

mcbqza.jpg

1. Get rid of Chris Berman

2. Pitching machines for HR derby. The pitches are more consistent, and let the batters get into a better groove.

3. Composite bats. I don't know if anyone could get used to the ping of an aluminum bat, but at least add some spring to the swing. It seems that fans get more excited about the distance of a home run than the number, at least not until someone hits 15 home runs in a round. Let's see more 500-foot home runs.

4. Coaches vote for starters, fans on the bench. This should hopefully cut down on some of the better players getting shut out, and players starting the game based on popularity rather than actual mid-season stats. Or even better, take the fan voting away and make it all performance-based. Put fan voting to the end of the season or something, and award the fan favorites with some incentive. If the game "means something", then it should be the best players in the game, not the most popular.

5. Or... let the fans vote for the Skills participants, like Home Run Derby. Add other categories, like Fastest Pitch, Quickest Runner, Longest Throw, stuff like that. You could shorten the derby to less rounds, or less participants. There are more fun things in baseball besides dingers.

6. Better rotation. Some cities/franchises have hosted the game twice in less than a 20-year span (San Diego 1978/1992), Houston (1986/2004), Pittsburgh (1994/2006), Cleveland (1981/1997), Cincinnati (1970/1988). I know that the league wants to show off its new parks, but when some cities go almost 40 or so years between games, it's gotta be distributed more evenly.

7. The game should be "for the fans", meaning the game can end in a tie if tied after 12 innings. No one wants to jeopardize a season because they overused a pitcher in a meaningless extra inning game. Allow unlimited substitutions. Why make fans of their favorite team's only All-Star (just an example) stay up past midnight to see the lone pinch-running appearance?

8. No "it counts" crap. Give home field in the World Series to the better team.

9. Get rid of Chris Berman.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

2. Pitching machines for HR derby. The pitches are more consistent, and let the batters get into a better groove.

3. Composite bats. I don't know if anyone could get used to the ping of an aluminum bat, but at least add some spring to the swing. It seems that fans get more excited about the distance of a home run than the number, at least not until someone hits 15 home runs in a round. Let's see more 500-foot home runs.

4. Coaches vote for starters, fans on the bench. This should hopefully cut down on some of the better players getting shut out, and players starting the game based on popularity rather than actual mid-season stats. Or even better, take the fan voting away and make it all performance-based. Put fan voting to the end of the season or something, and award the fan favorites with some incentive. If the game "means something", then it should be the best players in the game, not the most popular.

5. Or... let the fans vote for the Skills participants, like Home Run Derby. Add other categories, like Fastest Pitch, Quickest Runner, Longest Throw, stuff like that. You could shorten the derby to less rounds, or less participants. There are more fun things in baseball besides dingers.

6. Better rotation. Some cities/franchises have hosted the game twice in less than a 20-year span (San Diego 1978/1992), Houston (1986/2004), Pittsburgh (1994/2006), Cleveland (1981/1997), Cincinnati (1970/1988). I know that the league wants to show off its new parks, but when some cities go almost 40 or so years between games, it's gotta be distributed more evenly.

7. The game should be "for the fans", meaning the game can end in a tie if tied after 12 innings. No one wants to jeopardize a season because they overused a pitcher in a meaningless extra inning game. Allow unlimited substitutions. Why make fans of their favorite team's only All-Star (just an example) stay up past midnight to see the lone pinch-running appearance?

Chris Berman all the way! And I also like the idea of adding more skill competitions like the NBA does and heck even the NHL does it! And the pitching machine is genius.

mcbqza.jpg

- After the Mets in 2013, the Twins should host in 2014. After that some combination of the following ballparks yet to host should have a shot:

Cincinnati (opened in 03)

Philly/San Diego (opened in 04)

Washington (opened in 08)

Miami (opened in 12)

My feeling is that the Nats won't get it until 2017 but yet again what do I know. I do miss the times that the MLB All-Star game hosts would be announced years in advance. I remember sometime back in 1999 when they already had the hosts for 2001-2003 announced.

The All-Star Game has been meaningless since the advent of interleague play and whatever nostalgic value it may have been hanging on to that was killed off in 2002 by Bud Selig in his pseudo hometown. It's now approaching Pro Bowl levels of absurdity.

My vote for next five after Citi Field

2014 Minnesota

2015 Washington

2016 Toronto

2017 Miami

2018 Yankee Stadium

I get all of them except Yankee stadium... they just had one In 08... this is what was meant by better rotation...

My vote for next five after Citi Field

2014 Minnesota

2015 Washington

2016 Toronto

2017 Miami

2018 Yankee Stadium

I get all of them except Yankee stadium... they just had one In 08... this is what was meant by better rotation...

New stadiums will always get first consideration for games

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Really, this is a strategy for improving life in general.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I agree with all of these, especially getting rid of Berman and adding more competitions. I mean, why the hell should a guy who covers football all year be allowed to broadcast for something baseball related when he doesn't ever cover it on any other ESPN program. Also, the pitching machine idea is genius.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Archived