Minnesota Blue Ox Logo

Point1

I read an article lately about rejected team names for the Minnesota Wild. They were the Blue Ox, Voyageurs, Northern Lights, and White Bears. I haven't done any logo stuff in a little bit so I thought I'd dip my toes in.

Before anyone says it, I know the M is like in the Maverick's logo. I need to find a more pleasing way to fill up that space. This is a rough 1st draft, so the little overlaps and inconsistencies will be dealt with. I just want some design critique before I turn in.

BlueOxVector.png

C&C please.

I'd clean up the black brush strokes that are mixed into the outline. And possibly clean up the snout as well. It looks like the top part is finished and you're still deciding what to do with the bottom half.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I like the overall concept, but MAN you've got a lot of leftovers on that rendering. Look all around it, there's a lot of areas that need to be smoothed over or deleted. Also, look at the stroke consistency around the logo? especially on the horns. The right one's outline doesn't line up properly with the keyline, for instance. Go over it with a fine-toothed comb, I think you'll come out with a much cleaner rendering than what we have now.

I like the overall concept, but MAN you've got a lot of leftovers on that rendering. Look all around it, there's a lot of areas that need to be smoothed over or deleted. Also, look at the stroke consistency around the logo? especially on the horns. The right one's outline doesn't line up properly with the keyline, for instance. Go over it with a fine-toothed comb, I think you'll come out with a much cleaner rendering than what we have now.

Absolutely. I acknowledged that in the first post. I just wanted to put up this first draft so when I wake up tomorrow I can not only clean up the rendering but adjust the logo.

It doesn't really look like an ox yet, but I like where you're going.

It's still better than this.

1450.gif

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think you should replace the M with a subtle silhouette of the state of Minnesota.. That seems to be used in a lot of Minnesota teams logos its recognizable and a little more personal than an M. It doesn't have to be an exact shape but maybe u can work it in like the panthers do for Carolina. Just a subtle kind of shape influences by the state shape.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

I think you should replace the M with a subtle silhouette of the state of Minnesota.. That seems to be used in a lot of Minnesota teams logos its recognizable and a little more personal than an M. It doesn't have to be an exact shape but maybe u can work it in like the panthers do for Carolina. Just a subtle kind of shape influences by the state shape.

I would go either that or a subtle nod to the north stars

Oxes? Oxen?

It was a bad era for team names. Minnesotans do like their Paul Bunyan, but this was not the way to go.

Trivia--one of the proposed names for what became the Phoenix Coyotes was the Phoenix Dry Ice. I'm not kidding.

rATMcmK.png

I like that a lot. Thank you.

Oxes? Oxen?

It was a bad era for team names. Minnesotans do like their Paul Bunyan, but this was not the way to go.

Just wondering why they didn't go plural...it's the original Connecticut Whale.

I always assumed that they wanted to call them Whales but that was too close (visually) to Whalers.

rATMcmK.png

Archived