2012 NFL Season Thread

BlueSky

*JaMarcus Russell Jets news*

Messiah-1.jpg

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who can even watch three entire football games in one day without lapsing into drooling catatonia.

I'm enough of a degenerate that I'm often watching three games at a time at almost all portions of the day.

But that's usually because I don't have a good enough thing to be doing instead. Which probably speaks more about me than I wish to realize.

spacer.png

Interesting

http://deadspin.com/...dium=socialflow

Deadspin used facebook data to make the most accurate map of NFL fan allegiances. Look at all those Cowboys and Steeler fans. Proving that there are bandwagon fans everywhere. Also proving that nobody is voluntarily a Browns or Bengals fan.

I'm sort of surprised central Ohio went to the Steelers. I would've put money on the Browns taking the Columbus area.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Interesting

Deadspin used facebook data to make the most accurate map of NFL fan allegiances. Look at all those Cowboys and Steeler fans. Proving that there are bandwagon fans everywhere. Also proving that nobody is voluntarily a Browns or Bengals fan.

I'm sort of surprised central Ohio went to the Steelers. I would've put money on the Browns taking the Columbus area.

That is very fascinating. Definitely gives a better idea where allegiances lie vs some of those other guesstimate maps. I'm really quite surprised the packers didn't bleed into Minnesota at all, damn there's too many Packer fans here.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Interesting

Not that surprising due to a few reasons:People tend to choose winners for the most part. Those who are now ages 35-50 will like PIT, DAL, MIA, OAK, and GB since they won Super Bowls when they were youths. The same goes to those who may have grown up with the 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys and 00's Patriots. The Arizona Cardinals used to only get one sellout their early seasons there. It was when DAL came to town and there was a possible second if DEN came in.

You can look at merchandise sales as another indication. The most sales from NFL.com usually is either PIT or DAL.

http://www.nflshop.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=13247743

Other sites with other NFL official merchandise did have HOU leading.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2012/09/houston-leads-nation-in-purchasing-nfl-merchandise-online/

Interesting

Even 30 years after leaving Queens remains the one Jets stronghold.

Raiders still a big deal in LA as well. Also surprised how far East the Saints reach.

Most surprising thing I see if I'm reading the map correctly is how many Steeler fans there are in the Carolinas. I knew they had a decent amount of support down there, but I didn't think it was that big.

Make the higher quality helmets (Revo Speed, etc.) mandatory

No, no, no.

We need less protection on players, not "better". Unless and until they develop a helmet that sits underneath the skull, more padding on the head will just encourage players to do what's getting them in trouble.

When players have to face the consequences of their hits immediately, not pushing them down the road for a couple decades, then the sport will paradoxically get safer.

I used to think this, and conventional wisdom would make one assume that this is true, but it's not. I heard that rugby has a higher incidence of concussions

That would be cool, but we're not talking about concussions. We're talking about CTE, which is not the same thing.

You don't need to get a concussion to suffer from CTE. It's all the small hits that players accumulate over the decades of playing, hits that are exasperated by helmets and the supposed protection that they offer.

I know everybody keeps talking about concussions, but it drives me up the wall every single time. It's not about concussions, as much as the league and the sports journalism machine and everyone with a financial interest would like it to be.

Not that it will ever be totally safe, but based on what we know now I'd trade rugby levels of immediate injury for football's kick-the-can-down-the-road approach.

I understand that CTE isn't entirely about the issue of concussions but repetitive impacts. I've read the articles about the studies done at UNC, etc. The interesting part about those studies is that they measured "micro concussions" in O-Lineman where there's not the instances of free safeties coming across the field to decapitate someone. What's to suggest that no helmets would do anything about those?

If the argument is that helmets cause players to use their heads as battering rams and weapons then the issue is with the players behavior and tackling technique. I don't think removing helmets is going to do anything about smaller repetitive impacts, those will still be part of the game. It's not ridiculous to say that higher concussions are also correlated with smaller head impacts. Heads will still bump (Hey, at least there aren't spinal injuries in scrums!).

I remember a while back reading an article about softer shells on helmets, which would be an upgrade as it would soften the impact. Not sure if that's ever a possibility, however.

Interesting

That is interesting. I think population density skews it a little, though.

newsig.jpg

Interesting

Not that surprising due to a few reasons:People tend to choose winners for the most part. Those who are now ages 35-50 will like PIT, DAL, MIA, OAK, and GB since they won Super Bowls when they were youths. The same goes to those who may have grown up with the 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys and 00's Patriots. The Arizona Cardinals used to only get one sellout their early seasons there. It was when DAL came to town and there was a possible second if DEN came in.

You can look at merchandise sales as another indication. The most sales from NFL.com usually is either PIT or DAL.

http://www.nflshop.c...goryId=13247743

Other sites with other NFL official merchandise did have HOU leading.

http://blog.chron.co...handise-online/

Thanks. I know the psychology of Steelers and Cowboys bandwagoneering and because I don't spend my time looking up nfl merchandise sales, I'm basing my surprise off of my own observations and knowing people I lived there with for 20 years. Central Ohio has always felt more pro-Browns than any other team. It's also surprising, and this may just be territorial rights, because the Columbus market never airs a Steelers game if it's at the same time as a Bengals or Browns game.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Interesting

That is interesting. I think population density skews it a little, though.

That and it doesn't tell you how much support a team actually gets in an area. For example it gives Vegas to the Cowboys, which I could see and wouldn't dispute, but I was there and didn't really feel like I was stepping into an area with an overwhelming allegiance to one team or another. Considering there's no team within 200 miles of the city it makes sense that would be the case, but the way the map is presented it gives the impression that Vegas is as big of a Cowboys stronghold as Dallas is.

Still even given its flaws its still a pretty cool visual in my opinion.

You raise some interesting points, Noolish, so I hope you don't mind if I address a couple individually.

I understand that CTE isn't entirely about the issue of concussions but repetitive impacts. I've read the articles about the studies done at UNC, etc. The interesting part about those studies is that they measured "micro concussions" in O-Lineman where there's not the instances of free safeties coming across the field to decapitate someone. What's to suggest that no helmets would do anything about those?

Well, setting aside the fact that helmets give players a sense of false security, leading to harder hits in general, I would also outlaw the 3-point stance. Today. That's a no-brainer, and easy to accomplish.

If the argument is that helmets cause players to use their heads as battering rams and weapons then the issue is with the players behavior and tackling technique. I don't think removing helmets is going to do anything about smaller repetitive impacts, those will still be part of the game. It's not ridiculous to say that higher concussions are also correlated with smaller head impacts. Heads will still bump (Hey, at least there aren't spinal injuries in scrums!).

You're right - it's a multi-layered problem. Apparently nobody teaches tackling any more, based on what we see on the field (even from good defenses). There's much more a bump-and-knock-him-down approach than truly wrapping up an opponent. That should already be being addressed in youth leagues and schools.

I remember a while back reading an article about softer shells on helmets, which would be an upgrade as it would soften the impact. Not sure if that's ever a possibility, however.

Sadly, I don't think it is much of a possibility. Because I think that's, in part, about the best answer we've seen yet.

When plastic shells were introduced in the 1940s, there was a large backlash against what was seen as a greater likelihood of injury, as players were expected to use their heads as weapons more. That didn't materialize in the short term in high enough numbers to stop the spread of polycarbonates, but in the long run those fears seem well to be justified.

Based on what we know so far, I think there's a very good arument to be made for banning helmets in their current form. Replace them with something akin to the rugby scrum cap.

You're right that heads will always bump. But by reducing "safety" equipment, and improving fundamentals, those bumping heads will be less common. Incidental to the play, not a preferred technique. And I firmly that's how the sport will need to evolve to survive.

• 3 weeks later...

Notice the favorite NFL team of the residents of Ziebach County in South Dakota (one of the poorest counties in America).

Ziebach County is on the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation.

Their favorite team is the Kansas City Chiefs (Tomahawk Chop).

It's the only Chiefs county on the map outside the area that includes Arrowhead Stadium.

My neighbors have gone to Ziebach County with their church every year (to build a community center, church, thrift shop, etc...) for at least ten years. I have accompanied them on two occasions.

Kansas City Baptists have made the residents of one of the poorest counties in America (on a Native American reservation) into Kansas City Chiefs fans.

The county is in the middle of the state and is shaped like an "L," it sits on the Denver Broncos area border.

Archived