What is the right reason and amount of teams to root for?

RoughRiders99

I was just wondering what is your guidelines of what teams to root for and why and what is the right amount of teams to root for (or to show support, whatever).

I'll tell you my teams and my reasons and we could go from there.

MLB

My no. 1 team is the Chicago Cubs. I'm from Des Moines, Iowa and they have their AAA team there. I was their bat boy back in 2006 so naturally, I became a HUGE Cubs fan because I basically know half of the team like they were my friends. And I've stuck with them ever since, thought the up and downs. I'm a die hard Cubs fan. Nearly everything I own is Cubs-related.

My no. 2 team is the Minnesota Twins. I actually have a few reasons. My whole family is from the Twin Cities area so naturally, my family is a huge Twins fan. Plus, the close promixmately of Minnesota/Iowa helps too. Also, the past two-three years, I was the team photographer for the Rochester Red Wings, which is the AAA team for the Twins fan.

Based on the reasons I just gave for the MLB teams, I believe they are legit and should allow me to root for the both of them. I generally discourage rooting for two teams in the same sport, but since the Cubs are in the NL and Twins in the AL. I believe it's okay because they play by different rules and rarely face each other. I don't know about you guys. Do you think that's okay?

NFL

Minnesota Vikings - The same idea from the Twins apply here: Family in Twin Cities, close to home.

NBA

Minnesota Timberwolves - Same idea as the Vikings and the Twins. However, my family doesn't really follow basketball that much, but I do follow the T-wolves the most of any NBA teams, even if I'm not a NBA fan (you could call me less-than-causal-fan)

NHL

This is where it gets semi-tricky. As you already know, NHL is probably the least popular sport in America. But, I'm starting to get into hockey now because of my college, so I might start following the Minnesota Wild (because most of 'my' teams are from Minnesota). I wouldn't mind to start following the Winnipeg Jets, because they're a new team, which could give me a "fresh" history to start with. Also, Winnipeg is actually closer to Minnesota than I thought. Plus, I like their uniforms. But if I had to choose ONE NHL team, it'd be the Wild.

College Sports

Iowa State Cyclones - My dad, aunt and cousin attended the school here. Always loved their football and basketball teams when I was growing up in the 90's.

Rochester Institute of Technology - My alma mater (just graduated this spring). They only have one D-1 sport, men hockey. That's how I got into hockey. Went to EVERY game of theirs when I was at the school. They had a magical season when they made it to the Frozen Four in Detroit back in 2010, just six years after moving up to Division 1. I was also their team photographer. I also go to a lot of their other sporting events (Basketball, soccer, etc.) even if they're just D-III, which makes it hard to follow. But I still do it anyway because it's MY school.

Iowa Hawkeyes - I generally dislike them due to my Cyclones affiliations, but I would root for the team ONLY if the game has no influences on the Cyclones (such as bowl games or whatever).

Minnesota Golden Gophers - I probably shouldn't really include this school on the list, but the reason why I'm listing it here is because I tend to root for them whenever they're playing against the Hawkeyes, and plus it's where my mom went.

Olympics

United States - obvious reasons is obvious

The reason why I started this thread is because I've had a few conversations about this type of topic with a few of my friends. Most of them have legit reasons why they root for that team (example: friend who was born in Tampa Bay, and currently lives in Jacksonville roots for the Jaguars, Rays and Lightning).

But I have one or two friends who just picks the teams for the oddest reasons and roots for too many teams. One (from Arkansas) roots for the Angels, Twins, Diamondbacks and the Giants in MLB. Vikings, Ravens, Cardinals in NFL. Bulls, Twolves, in NBA and so on forth. You get the point. But what really irks me is that he calls himself a diehard fan of these teams when he can't even name anybody on the roster (with the exception whoever they show on ESPN). He also has odd reasons of why he roots for that team. He said his reason for the Angels is because of the AA team in his area, but he hasn't attended a game since forever. He likes the d-backs just because he has one or two family member(s) living in the area.

Not to sound like a hypocrite about rooting a team because of family, I believe my teams are okay because of the geographic proximity and the majority of my family members are a fan of that team. I don't believe his reasons give him the right to root for that team. If my friend followed my reasons, his favorite teams could be from Missouri, Texas or New Orleans because of the geographic proximity.

So what do you think?

What are the right reasons to cheer for a team?

What is the right amount of teams to cheer for?

Are my reasons for my teams legit?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even though I hate when I do this, I can't help my self. I get in these little "fevers" where I like a team for a little bit. I guess you could call it bandwagon but I bandwagon on teams I THINK will be good, not the teams that are good and then I become a fan. So to answer your question, I think you should only have a couple favorite teams but I can't help myself. (Still love my teams in my sig the most though!)

Since I like so many teams I guess I should list the ones I hate.

I really only hate a couple teams:

MLB

Rays

Braves

Mets

Cubs

Dodgers

NHL

Canadiens

NBA

I hate Basketball

NFL

Steelers

Giants

Cowboys

Titans

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

1. I was just wondering what is your guidelines of what teams to root for...

(A bunch of stuff I didn't bother to read...)

2. So what do you think?

3. What are the right reasons to cheer for a team?

4. What is the right amount of teams to cheer for?

1. I don't have any. If I like a team, then I like a team. Although a team that wears ugly uniforms has very little chance of me liking it.

2. I think you should root for whoever you want to root for. Who gives a damn what anyone else thinks about it?

3. Because you enjoy it. Period.

4. However many you want.

Don't get caught up in all the "fan rules" etc. BS. The only thing that matters is if you're having fun or not.

Hope that helps. B)

BB52Big.jpg

To me, everything is pretty local. Pro sports are easy, because all of my favorite pro teams are in Atlanta and--unlike some fans here--I couldn't care less for hockey, so I'm not on the Winnipeg Wagon right now.

As far as college teams go, I'm a born and bred Georgia fan. Probably the number one sport I invest my interest in is Georgia football. Even Georgia basketball is up there--I've thrown some pillows at T.V.s in those games too.

I'm also a big time Kennesaw State fan because I grew up in Cobb County, attend school there, and am the current sports editor for the school newspaper.

But, I also root for Georgia State because my father is employed there, and I guess it's easier to root for them as "Atlanta's team" when I hate Georgia Tech (mainly because of its fanbase) with a burning passion.

I've NEVER really understand guys who just pick and choose. I will admit, when I was a child (ages 10 or 11) I rooted for the Washington Redskins because the Falcons sucked and Champ Bailey, my favorite player, was drafted by them.

I regret that moment in my life.

This is going to be kind of lengthy but here we go:

NFL:

(**) REDSKINS (**)- parents donning me in burgundy and gold since the womb, local team, only team I'll follow for a lifetime #HTTR

[i would go on about why there are so Cowboys fans in the area but never been to or have family in Dallas, but thats another story] :cursing:

Ravens- the other local team, a young fanbase

MLB:

Nats- area team, hopped on the bandwagon in the 05' season, went to numerous games at both Nats Park and RFK

Braves- favorite team before Montreal moved, great veteran hitters

DBacks- mostly because of the old color scheme and The Big Unit

MiLB:

Potomac Nationals- First minor league game I went to, back then they were the Cannons

Bowie Baysox- went to numerous games in my childhood, resides in the same county as me

Norfolk Tides/the old Richmond Braves- attended handful of games past summers

NHL:

CAPS- area team, strong attackmen and penalty killers

NBA:

Wizards- first team I liked, area team, young talent, rooted for them since the Jerry Stackhouse era

Thunder- has a couple former players from the area, has a strong bench, moms from there. loyal fanbase

MLS:

DC United- hometown team

Seatlle- young team

NCAA Basketball:

Georgetown- first college game I went to (vs. Syracuse at the old MCI Center)

Maryland- rowdy fans, especially screaming You Suck when playing Duke or UNC at Comcast

Norfolk State- upsetting Missouri, most competitive HBCU hoops team, cousin use to be a professor there

George Mason- local school, Final 4 appearance, dominance in the CAA, great fanbase

FBS:

Virginia Tech/ Maryland - area schools, Enter Sandman

Oklahoma- moms from there

Boise State- ultimate underdogs

Hawaii- Colt Brennan era, lots and lots of passing

Navy- admiration of the Triple Option, my decision the join the Naval Reserves

West Virginia- balanced offense but explosive passing game, moving to a better conference

FCS:

Appalachian State- winning consecutive titles during the Armanti Edwards era, the biggest upset in CFB history

Hampton- my dream school, dads from there, underrated players/coaching staff

Any winners of the SWAC & MEAC.

NCAA Lacrosse:

Johns Hopkins- local team, lots of pro talent, Paul Rabil & Kyle Harrison

Denver- Honestly, their uniforms are if not the best in DI every year, great defensive corps

Furman- new team, young squad, potentially new hotbeds

Virginia- tradition, experienced roster

Michigan- see Furman

Sailsbury- local college, dominance and multiple titles in DIII, proximity to Redskins colors

MLL:

Chesapeake Bayhawks- local team, most titles in league history

Anybody that has Chazz Woodson (Ohio Machine)

NLL:

Rochester

Philadelphia

AFL:

Phily Soul- awesome color scheme and the lone championship with Toni Graziani at QB

EPL:

Chelsea- dads a fan, decorated history, Drogba, obsession with the color royal blue

GrizzlyBlack Designs, UDC Firebird

2. So what do you think?

1. I don't have any. If I like a team, then I like a team. Although a team that wears ugly uniforms has very little chance of me liking it.

2. I think you should root for whoever you want to root for. Who gives a damn what anyone else thinks about it?

Don't get caught up in all the "fan rules" etc. BS. The only thing that matters is if you're having fun or not.

Hope that helps. B)

This is essentially true, but I personally feel that having a lot of "favorite" teams would water it all down. How excited could I be when one of my four AL teams was playing one of my six NL teams in the World Series?

But yeah, like who you like. My personal history is one team per sport. Then when my team is inevitably not around for the post season, I usually have some reason to pull for a remaining team (they have a player from my school, a player I like, a long drought to overcome, etc.), but I don't get "pumped"...in fact it's probably a lot healthier than when my team is actually playing. ^_^

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

NFL-

Steelers- My dad's favorite team, so I inherited it. ( I think the reason he liked them was because when he was little, the only game that came on TV was the Super Bowl, so the Steelers were always on.)

Saints- local team, though I don't know if I'll like them as much now that the bounty stuff came out.

Broncos- My Mom's favorite team

NBA-

No real favorite, but I've been cheering for OKC lately.

MLB-

Braves ( Local Team)

Padres ( My First MLB game was at one of theirs)

Rays ( Went to see one of their games the year they won the AL.)

NCAA-

Mississippi State- one of 3 local teams, my dad went there, and I plan on going there

Southern Miss- the closest team, and I know one of the players, so I root for them when when they ain't playing Mississippi State.

2. So what do you think?

Hope that helps. B)

What about schmucks like me? I'm a miserable long suffering Maple Leafs fan?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I don't believe there is a right reason to like a team. I like teams all over the country (in the case of soccer, the world) for various reasons that I'll get into. As for number of teams, I believe you can like as many teams as you want, but in terms of favorites I try to limit them to 2 teams I follow (though the NHL is a different story since I passionately love hockey).

NHL:

Columbus - They're my local team and have given me many memories. They're also the reason why I started playing hockey.

Colorado - Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Peter Forsberg, Rob Blake, Milan Hejduk, David Aebischer. Unless you were a Wings fan, how could you not like them?

Nashville - I love how they consistently field good teams without a superstar player (then Shea Weber happened).

Philadelphia - The energy from the fans and their gritty, yet skillfull, style of play I enjoy a lot.

Soccer:

Manchester City - I loved their uniforms and wanted to get into soccer. I love the fanbase and passion. Plus who wants to be a United fan!?

Paris Saint-Germain - I saw their uniforms when I was at the Nike store in Paris and loved them, so naturally I followed them after that. It's crazy how uniforms can make you like a team. Also Nene.

Columbus - Local, and I support MLS.

MLB:

New York Yankees - It's strange that the first baseball game I ever watched was them being no-hit by the Astros. But the pinstripes got me and I'm glad they did.

Cincinnati - I had to support an Ohio baseball team! And having Ken Griffey Jr. (on the DL mainly though) helped.

Chicago Cubs - I figured I should support the team from where I was born, and I was born on the North Side. Whoops.

NFL:

Cincinnati - My friend got me into football, and I carried my Cinninati fandom over to the NFL.

New England - I picked them to win the Super Bowl against the Rams before I even knew what football was, so I had to cheer for them. Tom Brady's also incredible.

Denver - When I first started getting into sports I thought you had to like teams from the same city, and the Broncos just stuck after that.

NBA:

Miami - When LeBron took his talents to south beach, I took my fanhood there too. I'll continue to root for them after he's gone though. The entire team I've adopted after knowing more about them.

Los Angeles Lakers - The Kobe and Shaq show, and their series against the Kings back in 02 was the most intense NBA playoff series I've ever seen.

NCAA:

Ohio - Currently enrolled at OU, so OU OH YEAH

Ohio State - I've lived in Columbus my entire life (and would've gone there had money not been an issue). How could I not be a fan?

International:

USA - National Pride

Manchester-City-icon.png

MLB

Dodgers-Local Team

A's-My dad lived in the bay area for many years and have always liked them

NBA-

Clippers-Local team and first nba game I went to when I was 5 was a Clippers vs Sonics game so I stayed loyal

NFL-

49ERS-No local team

Ncaa-

Ucla-local team

FLORIDA State- always liked them and I really like watching their baseball team

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

What are the right reasons to cheer for a team?

What is the right amount of teams to cheer for?

Are my reasons for my teams legit?

I think the only conceivable wrong reasons to cheer for a team are if they, or members of their organization have done something detrimental to their sport or society (from match-fixing to crimes against the public). There can be many 'right' reasons to cheer for a team, though.

I don't think there is a 'right' amount of teams you should cheer for. It depends on how many sports actually interest you, and whether or not liking two teams would seem to be a conflict for one reason or another.

Proximity to teams is probably a reasonable reason for cheering on certain teams - you can go to their games more easily than going to games for a team far away. Also, if you have family in the area of a team, or your favourite player (maybe even relative) is a part of the team/organization, that seems like a good reason to cheer for them.

I have a reason for cheering for one of my teams that some may consider silly, but wearing my favourite colours (black/orange) is not the only reason I cheer on the Flyers. They have consistently been one of the more competitive teams in the NHL since coming into the league, they're not Montreal (I don't like teams that feel because of history or whatever that they are 'entitled' to win every year - same goes for Pittsburgh, but that's slightly different), and they have players on their roster from Northern Ontario, where I live.

I don't really have any huge reasons for liking the teams I do beyond watching them over the years and becoming more and more attached as time went on. I do tend to root for underdogs, so that explains my Clippers, Boise State, and Rays fandom.

I also usually have a bunch of secondary teams I like, that tend to change over time, so I guess I'll explain those.

MLB:

• Diamondbacks - the Rays' 1998 expansion cousins, the '01 World Series, the Big Unit and Gonzo.
  • Mariners - Ichiro and Griffey were my favorite players growing up.
  • A's - as a big sabermetrics proponent, I have to respect the team that brought Moneyball to the mainstream.
  • Whoever's playing the Red Sox.

NBA:

• Heat - LeBron James.
  • Mavs - Dirk Nowitzki.
  • Spurs - Tim Duncan and master troll Gregg Popovich.
  • Nets - Clippers East, except owned by a crazy Russian gazillionaire and Jay-Z.
  • Whoever's playing the Lakers, OKC, or Memphis.

NFL:

• Ravens - Ray Lewis and that 2000 defense, plus I hate the Steelers.
  • Bills - I see them as kindred spirits of sorts to the Chargers: two old-school AFL franchises in small markets, overshadowed by other teams in the same state and division, whose only titles came in the AFL and who are the only teams in their divisions without a Super Bowl ring.
  • I want to like the Giants, but Eli's classless move on draft day prevents me from fully appreciating them, even if we did get the better QB out of it.
  • Whoever's playing the Patriots, Steelers, Broncos, Raiders, or Chiefs.

NHL:

• Kings - I don't really pull for any other NHL team, but I don't really feel I've spent enough time and energy following the Kings to consider them as a "primary team".
  • Whoever's playing the Bruins.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

2. So what do you think?

Hope that helps. B)

This is essentially true, but I personally feel that having a lot of "favorite" teams would water it all down. How excited could I be when one of my four AL teams was playing one of my six NL teams in the World Series?

But yeah, like who you like. My personal history is one team per sport. Then when my team is inevitably not around for the post season, I usually have some reason to pull for a remaining team (they have a player from my school, a player I like, a long drought to overcome, etc.), but I don't get "pumped"...in fact it's probably a lot healthier than when my team is actually playing. ^_^

I feel exactly the same way you do. When my teams are out, I tend to "latch" on other teams for the same reasons you just listed, but ONLY on a temporary basis. But what's 'important' to me that I don't get overly excited about my temporary teams because it would make me look like a bandwagon fan.

2. So what do you think?

Hope that helps. B)

I feel exactly the same way you do. When my teams are out, I tend to "latch" on other teams for the same reasons you just listed, but ONLY on a temporary basis. But what's 'important' to me that I don't get overly excited about my temporary teams because it would make me look like a bandwagon fan.

There are only a few teams which I follow, and that's all Cleveland sports teams, which is only three, so it's easy for me. As far as rooting for teams, I root for Cleveland teams as well as some local teams where I live (Detroit metro area), while I also have a rule where every year I root for a team (same as last year or new, doesn't matter) that is in the opposite conference than the Cleveland team. And any team in our division I strictly oppose.

MLB

Cleveland Indians

Washington Nationals: Finally good this year, very well-rounded, entertaining team built through the draft. Plus they have one of the best young players in the game, so I really enjoy rooting and seeing how the Nationals are doing, which is very well for the first time in franchise history.

NBA

Cleveland Cavaliers

Denver Nuggets: The Nugs are awesome cause they don't have a superstar and such a solid team otherwise. Although they always lose in the playoffs, since they've dropped 'Melo they've been a very interesting franchise and team to follow. They do things a bit different than most places, while still providing a very entertaining product on the court.

NFL

Cleveland Browns

Detroit Lions: I live in the Detroit area now so I always listen to Detroit sports radio, and it's easy to root for the Lions since they have star players now, as well as the fact that they haven't been good, at all, for the past, well, decades. I wasn't around for the Barry Sanders-era so I didn't experience that, but am now lucky enough to live in a city with a football team with a great couple years ahead of it and a city that's super excited about it. Plus Cleveland will never be good until we draft a franchise-changing quarterback, so it's fun to root for a local team that is actually good.

NHL

Detroit Red Wings: Barely...I never got into hockey since Cleveland never had a team in the modern era, so it was never a sport I was interested in, watched, or played. So by the time I got to Detroit I didn't really know much about it while everyone was already a huge Red Wings fan cause it was the Federov-Yzerman era. They were sick back then, and for the past 10 years have been a consistently good franchise, but I never felt the urge to really follow the sport and become a die-hard Red Wings fan. There's already enough of them, so I don't see the need. Cleveland sports, however, need as many die-hard fans as they can get.

College

Ohio State

Soccer

Columbus Crew: I was split between rooting for Columbus, Chicago, and Toronto because Cleveland doesn't have an MLS team. I didn't know which to root for, so I did some research and figured those three were my final option because they were the closest in my proximity. I kind of always had a good feeling about Toronto FC, but I didn't like the idea of saying I follow a Canadian team and I'm not Canadian. With more research, Columbus stood out as the best franchise to root for, as they've been one of the most successful MLS teams in history, and were an Ohio team which was a big reason to root for them.

Vancouver Whitecaps: They are my Western Conference team, only because my Virtual Pro in FIFA 12 plays for them. This is probably my weakest reason to root for a team.

Fulham: They are my EPL team, because they are not one of the old-timer teams with years of success like ManU, Chelsea, Arsenal, or Liverpool. They aren't a team with success decades ago like Everton, Aston Villa, and others. Instead, Fulham is an up-and-coming club with real stabilizing success the past ten years, plus they have the best American player in the world, Clint Dempsey, who played fantastically for them this season. They are a fun team to follow because they are always the underdog but have a solid team to compete with.

NL

signature1b.png

signature2qx.png

.I never got into hockey since Cleveland never had a team in the modern era,

Just curious, but what do you consider the "modern era" in hockey? I've always considered it to begin with the 6 team expansion in the 60's, so to me, Cleveland has had a team in the modern era, even if it was for 2 years.

I'm not sure what exactly I'd define as "legitimate" reasons to root for a particular team. I guess if there's anything that you feel is drawing you towards that team, be it their name, logo, colours, players, location, proximity, whatever it is, almost anything is a good enough reason as long as you stick to 'em and can call yourself a fan.

Guess I'll give my reasons in order of how high the teams rank (or have ranked) on my list:

NHL

My end-all-be-all team in all sports is the Anaheim Ducks. My choice may seem like an odd one considering how far away from Anaheim I actually live (about 5,450 miles from Honda Center) and a lot of folks simply don't "get" my fandom. Heck, even when I went to SoCal for the first time, someone noticed my Ducks t-shirt and my British accent completely threw them off. I didn't just pick a random team for the sake of it though. The short version of my story: when I was little I failed to develop an interest in English Football, and then in 1997 Mighty Ducks the Animated Series appeared on TV, making me something of a hockey fan in the back of my mind. Fast forward to 2003, I got NHL Hitz 20-02, learned that the Mighty Ducks were a real team, and the rest is history.

I'll openly admit that I am something of a fanatic when it comes to the Ducks to the point that they never really feel as far away as they do. And yeah, I can get a bit too defensive over the duck mask logo, maybe that's something to do with it playing a big role in my life in being the very thing that drew me to hockey in the first place, or I feel that I quite strongly identify with this logo. Or maybe my inherited OCD has something to do with it :P (The current wordmark bugs me to no end in a love-hate sort of way).

NIHL

That's the recently renamed National Ice Hockey League, one of the lower-tier ones in the UK. As a hockey fan I do also need a local team in order to get my regular fix, and that's where the Chelmsford Chieftains come into play. And I guess by extension, their "farm" team the Warriors. I had previously - and briefly - been a fan of their local arch rivals the Romford Raiders, my original hometown team, but switched as I generally prefer the fan experience at Chelmsford (the first Chieftains game I saw they lost 7-2, but I still had a great time anyway). Where I live now I happen to be at a very similar distance away from both teams, just over 10 miles away, but technically I am 0.73 miles nearer to Chelmsford than I am Romford, and the driving distance is shorter by 2 miles.

AHL

Pretty much whatever team the Ducks are affiliated with (I've liked all except for the Syracuse Crunch so far) so I guess right now that'd be the Norfolk Admirals.

NFL

Now I'm heading into the territory where I can't really call myself a "true" fan. I briefly played American Football at University so felt I needed to pick an NFL team. My pick was the Houston Texans simply because I liked their logo and colours. I did really like this team at one point but a while after I stopped playing myself, and after I saw my first live NHL game, my interest in the NFL dwindled very quickly. I guess I'd still default to this team if my interest ever picks up again, but if for whatever reason they folded I would probably shrug my shoulders and move on to a different team.

MLB

One summer I felt like I wanted to get into baseball for no particular reason. I picked the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim as it wouldn't feel right rooting against a team that plays across the road from the Ducks. Like the NFL, I had no way to watch at all and I quickly got fed up with the seemingly endless game alerts on my phone. Maybe I'll try again some other time.

BUAFL

That's the British Universities American Football League. I briefly played for my University's Anglia Ruskin Phantoms during my first year there, only because a friend was doing the same. I quietly left on my own terms for reasons I won't go into that don't have anything to do with the team itself. Although I can't really say I respect them very much these days as the team became less about being fun and more about unintentionally putting students off with a SRS BSNS attitude, not to mention the fact that some friends, both commitee members back then, were treated like crap.

EIHL

The UK's top-tier Elite Ice Hockey League. My fan allegiance was with the London Racers, being the nearest team at the time. They folded before I ever got to see them play and there hasn't been a team in London since. Nothing is drawing me to any of the other teams in the league, and the fact that they're all a lot further away doesn't help. So until a new team is established in London, I have no reason to follow this league.

EPL

Claimed to be a Tottenham Hotspur fan "supporter" when I was 6. These days the culture and media force feeding surrounding the whole sport I find very off putting and now I can't stand football.

NBA

Was briefly a Chicago Bulls fan because someone I used to know was a fan. This pretty much went nowhere. I don't hate basketball now but I just don't care about it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

MLB-

Tampa Bay Rays- I would always be them on Triple Play '98 because they were new and have liked them ever since.

Washington Nationals- Went to college at George Washington so I attended a bunch of games when I could. Also grew up rooting for the Expos.

Kansas City Royals- Just hopped on that bandwagon this year so when they start winning, I don't get criticized for jumping on when they are winning

NBA-

Oklahoma City Thunder- Grew up as a Sonics fan so I just transitioned.

Milwaukee Bucks- I really liked the purple and green combo they had early on and the team just stuck.

NFL-

Baltimore Ravens- Hate every team in their divison so that's who I root for.

NHL-

Winnipeg Jets- Not a hockey fan but I watch occasionally. I like the direction Winnipeg is going.

Columbus Blue Jackets- Family was season ticket holders so attended a bunch of games while I grew up in Columbus.

NCAA-

Ohio State Buckeyes- Have rooted for them my whole life and was brought up a buckeye. Also local.

Ohio Bobcats- Lived in Athens until like 5th grade. Local and am a huge fan of men's basketball at OU.

VCU Rams- Just basketball. Had them going to the Final Four in my bracket in 2011 so I had to root them on!

George Washington- Not a huge fan but it is my alma mater.

MLS-

Columbus Crew- Local.

ECHL-

Cincinnati Cyclones- Local.

High School- Various high schools in Ohio.

And as far as I know, that's all I got.

mcbqza.jpg

MLB:

Tampa Bay Rays: Ultimate underdogs and actually a die-hard fan that attended a game there. I also went on vacations to the Tampa Bay area and that's how I cheered for them

NFL:

Indianapolis Colts- Local team and have tons of stuff that's just about them. Cheered for them since '01 and I'm proud of it.

NBA:

Seattle Supersonics (Oklahoma City Thunder)- I liked the Supersonics because of their proud history and Kevin Durant. Unlike many fans of the Supersonics, I still cheered for the franchise even though I hate Brian Bennett.

Indiana Pacers- Local team

NCAA:

Louisville Cardinals- Obviously, I'm a true die-hard fan of all UL sports and been supporting them since I was born. I probably have dozens of UL shirts and gear to display my passion. Also, :censored: UK!

Oklahoma St. Cowboys- I love Barry Sanders and Mike Gundy. Supporting the Cowboys is only natural because Oklahoma was to them as UK is to UL.

Purdue Boilermakers- My brother is going there to be an engineer and I hate IU.

NHL:

Pittsburgh Penguins- Awesome name and I freaking love Mario Lemieux.

Orlando%20Magic_zpsjn8kx3lf.png

Domestically, I've got my Cleveland teams, the Jackets, and then as "second teams," I root pretty strongly for the Nationals (NL team, plus they used to be the Expos) and Winnipeg Jets (I was always obsessed with them having existed as a kid). I've got my fair share of teams I like to see do well, but those are my "big four plus two."

As we move to soccer, though, it's a whole 'nother story. Aston Villa comes first and foremost (lots of reasons behind rooting for them, but it just felt... right.), then Paris Saint-Germain (love Paris as a city) comes in Tier II. Then in Tier III, I'll pull for Atlético Madrid, Hertha Berlin, and CSKA Moskva all for their own reasons. I also like to see Heart of Midlothian, FC København, Vålerenga, and Hajduk Split do well for their own reasons, and I'm trying to get into Italian soccer... hopefully Michael Bradley will help me do that with AS Roma.

Domestically, I'm first and foremost a Crew fan, but mainly an MLS fan in general. I like whatever's best for the league - I'd have to say the Timbers are my second team, but I just love the league in general.

There's no right answer to this question... hell, there was a point a few years back when I liked, and wore jerseys regularly, for all four AFC and NFC South teams. :P - I mean, hell, I still own jerseys for 15 NFL teams. As far as titles that would really mean a lot to me, though, it's a Cleveland title first and foremost, with the Jackets and Aston Villa shortly behind. That's really all that will cause me to stop bitching. :P

6fQjS3M.png

I always find these questions to be baffling. I root for who I want, because I want to. That should be the only rule. I wonder if people who ask these questions are insecure about who they root for and are looking for some sort of acceptance or pat on the back. To answer the question who I root for, Dodgers, Angels, TB Bucs, LA Kings, in college football whoever the hell I feel like rooting for. Oh yeah, and I root for the NBA and MLS seasons to be over as quickly as possible!

Archived