Major League Football (my fictional concept league)

hugevolsfan

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portland will not be up until tomorrow at the earliest still finishing some minor touches & I had very little time to work on these plus I have been in working on Philadelphia's primary.

I am going to be out of town for work until Friday night with very limited time or access so I will not have much else after I post Portland.

The Portland Pioneers!

The Pioneers where the brainchild of Portland Energy Exec George Anderson.

He was very persistent in trying to acquire the franchise for Portland that he offered to buy several teams including the Buffalo Bullets before they were relocated to Minnesota.

Finally Anderson & Commissioner Morelli agreed to a deal with the consent of Tubby Richards for Portland to receive the second franchise bid in 1964.

Legend has it that Anderson would have started his own league if he was not allowed to submit a team.

The team was mildly successful the first 10 years especially when compared to other expansion teams of the decade.

In 1973 Anderson wanted to rebrand his team & had seen the recently made Portland flag. He loved the diamond star that represented Portland & asked the designer to make a logo based of that for his team.

Portland has in the last few years went through several head coaches.They are hoping that first year head coach Mike Ferrera can stop that trend.

First round draft pick QB Kellen Randall is phenomenal athlete with a big arm who they hope they can build a franchise around.

2010 pick RB Kevin McAllister has struggled with injuries both years but has shown a lot of ability when on the field.

Charles Porter has came on & provides the big play ability they have been looking for at WR.

Defense has been suspect but does have 2011 first round pick DT Tony Powe who is a beast inside who compliments DE Akili Jackson.

Here are the current logos & uniforms as always C & C welcome.

PORLogosUniformsSheet.png
PORAltUniformSheet.png

very surprising how this one turned out, for a boring name like the pioneers, you came up with a very good logo. the color scheme apes old Oregon, which is pretty clever

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

I may try a green alternate jersey using the secondary maybe with gold pants.

I looked up Furman because its been a while since I saw their logo.

I did not even realize they used a diamond star on their helmet.

Furman, BYU , & the Chicago Maroons go figure.

I'm feeling everything but the primary. I know it's supposed to be a four-point star but it feels TOO abstract to me (and I think the colors should be swapped around for the version on green since it eats up the outline.

Personally, I think going for a siimplified compass star might work better? Just my opinion though. Everything else about the identity is top class.

8VvwoNps.png

I'm feeling everything but the primary. I know it's supposed to be a four-point star but it feels TOO abstract to me (and I think the colors should be swapped around for the version on green since it eats up the outline.

Personally, I think going for a siimplified compass star might work better? Just my opinion though. Everything else about the identity is top class.

I guess to get the primary you would have to see the portland flag & know what it represents.

I do no think it is abstract I think it is the type of thing that would really happen which is always what I am going for.

I may get to do something on Saturday I may have Phoenix be next or maybe Detroit not sure yet.

The Detroit Autos!

In 1922 The Detroit Automobile Co was one of many automobile manufacturers in the country.

Owner John Franks wanted to find a way to get his company more exposure.

He started out by having a company football team made up of ex-college football stars who also worked for him.

One such player Milas Mundy, who also was the coach, convinced him to enter the team in the newly created Professional Football League.

Franks agreed & made Mundy player coach but wanted to call the team the Detroit Autos with his company as the sponsor.

Mundy went on to coach for 41 years & was with the club, later as the general manager/minority owner, until the day he died in 1976.

Detroit won four PFL championships & played in six MLF Championship games during Mundy's coaching career but was only was able to win one championship losing to the Boston Admirals four of the five times.

Detroit has not made it back to the championship game since that time but has had many good teams since.

In the last few years Detroit has had one of the best quarterbacks in the league in Marcus King when he has been healthy.

Unfortunately, that has not been very much in the last three years missing the entire season in 2011 & parts of 2009 & 2010 seasons.

They have had a great backup in Jeff Gannon but he has now the starting QB for Philadelphia.

The division they play in is tough competing with Indianapolis & St. Louis who have won three of the last five championships.

Head coach Willie Jenkins is entering his third year at the helm for Detroit & is hoping this will be his best with a healthy King, RB Robert Hines, one of the best but aging WR duos in the league in Tim Mills & Talman Jackson on offense.

Jenkins is a defensive guy & is still trying to get that side of the ball where he wants it but does have some solid pieces in DE Cedric Grant & CB's Darren Thomas & Rasheed Stoudamire.

Here are the current uniforms that have not been changed much C & C is always welcome.

DETLogosUniformsSheet1.png

Evokes images of the USFL's Blitz, something tells me you might need a thin blue outline around the D to make the logo feel more complete. otherwise, pretty dang great

utahpioneerssig_by_verasthebrujah-dbt6623.png.47ea1d18a023dde3cc5da14a646e53fb.png

Archived