An Alternate Universe's NFL (Philadelphia Eagles Helmet Reveal 01/15/14)

robbman21

Summary Imagine that there are timelines, other dimensions that run parallel to that which we live. The same people, places, and things exist, but their histories are different. The National Football League is no exception. The same teams exist as we know them, but with different histories and...of course...different uniforms. In December of 2007 I discovered and stepped-through the wormhole that allowed me to see and experience this alternate universe for myself, and over the next two years I made extensive notes of my findings, until finally on December 6th, 2009, I published the first of those findings over a period of a year and a half in the original thread. In April of 2011, the original thread was bombarded by spammers and graveyarded, ruining all of my work and research over the previous three-and-a-half years. A few months ago, I awoke one night to find that somehow - miraculously - the wormhole had re-opened before me, so I took the chance and stepped back through, and found almost the same universe as before existed, but it was also currently 2012 in THAT world, and of course there had been changes both minor and great since I was last there. In fact, some of the teams that I witnessed before were now crossed with DIFFERENT teams, which meant that I didn't quite cross over into the same universe as before, but in fact an alternate TO the alternate. I carried my journal and sketch pad inside of the wormhole with me this time, and once again I am posting my findings here for all to see. Enjoy!!

Idea I started thinking about this almost five years ago, when I knew I'd be approaching my 2000th post. I rarely if ever do concepts anymore so I wanted to do something kinda big, and I wanted to do something really unique and different, not the complete NFL overhauls that we see from time to time. From out of nowhere the idea hit me:"What if every team existed with the same colors, but with other team's uniform elements?" In other words, take what's unique about each and every NFL team's uniforms and apply that to a different team. It could be a specific uniform template, a style of logo, a number font, even a color...every NFL team has something that's unique to only them. In an alternate universe, those elements could still exist, but with different teams. This seemed like something that'd be not only completely different than what we have seen here on the boards, but also fun enough to keep me interested in it to see it through to completion. The original thread was a huge success, as well as a huge surprise for me. I wasn't sure if people would "get it", and even if they did, were they going to like it? Were they going to appreciate the risks involved? The work involved was a massive undertaking, since I was not only posting mulitple uniforms and logos for every NFL team, but also because I took a page out of Buc's book and placed them on action templates, which required a little bit of extra work to get msot uniforms to work correctly on the templates. I also made many of my own action templates so that I was not recycling the same player poses over and over again. But the real challenge was the researching and writing the alternate histories for every team, which was probably just secondary filler but something I felt neccessary to help push home the idea that this was nit just a retreatment of teams' identities, but a whole seperate world in itself. The series proved so successful right out of the gate that almost immediately I was asked about doing other leagues, and so after a few months I started the MLB version, which was recently restarted. I also fleshed-out the NBA alternate universe and so when I feel my templates are up to par on that I will begin that series as well. I am also planning one for the NHL, SEC football, and one of even larger/grander scale for...the USFL.

The Rules and Results I had to make a set of guidelines to go by so it wouldn't get out of hand and so that I could have an idea of what to and not to do. I decided that I could add colors to a team's pallette, but ONLY silver or black and just as accents usually. In some cases though I added silver as a substitute for gold and gold as a sub for silver. I tried to blend some team's logos to match their alternate counterpart, and others I just left alone but maybe re-colored. Still at other times I created a completely new logo as an interpretation of the alternate team they represented. Some of these uniforms and designs came out beautiful, as in some you could actually see your favorite team wearing and think it's a nice look. A few of you may even think some are upgrades. Others are quite simply train wrecks, which only shows that some team's uniforms ONLY work for them...if at all. And others may look nice, but considering the teams they're applied to may come off as blasmephous and just plain wrong. It's been nearly five years since I started planning this, and as I start with the first rebooted post it's still a work in progress, but I hope to have all of the rebooted AFC posted by the Super Bowl. I am once again developing new player templates that will be released as the series goes along, but until then I'll start posting what I have and then come back and edit in the player versions later. All uniform templates have been updated to reflect the Speed Machine/Pro Combat template, and I have created a completely new front, side, and back helmet display.

Indianapolis Colts The long-suffering Indianapolis Colts have had their fortunes changed somewhat since the arrival of quarterback Peyton Manning. They didn't have their first winning season until the strike-plagued season of 1987, and didn't win their first playoff game until 2000. When a tornado devastated Indianapolis in August of 2005, the team was forced to play a couple of "home" games in San Antonio,TX, and the rest of the home games in a near empty Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette,IN. The Colts suffered to a 3-13 record that year, but in the 2006 NFL Draft they were able to bring in highly-touted RB Joseph Adai, and made it all the way to the AFC Championship game for the first time in team history. Since then the Colts have become one of the most dominant offenses in the NFL, and opened up the 2009 NFL season with 13 straight wins, the most in team history. They would advance to their first ever Super Bowl by knocking off the Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots, and in Super Bowl XLIV knocked off the favored Minnesota Vikings 31-17, which was sealed when Jacob Lacey picked-off a Brett Favre pass and returned it 74 yards for the game-clinching touchdown. The Colts would return to the playoffs in 2010, facing off against the Washington Redskins, the first-ever sub-500 team to make the NFL playoffs with a record of 7-9. Despite the offense's best efforts, the defense continually let the team down, finally breaking for good on Ryan Torain's late TD run which will go down as one of the great runs in NFL history. The Colts would lose 41-36. They would bounce back in 2011, even beating the Vikings on a nationally-televised Super Bowl rematch by a score of 62-7...one of the most lop-sided games in league history. The Colts would return to the playoffs for the 3rd straight year with a record of 13-3, knocking off Jacksonville at home before falling on the road to Green Bay in a play that was termed as "The Catch III", an Aaron Rodgers to Jermichael Finley touchdown pass on the game's final play. After the season, the Colts found themselves in serious trouble with the league over the "Bountygate" scandal, where defensive coordinator Larry Coyer was alledged to have run a "pay for hits" incentives program to promote more aggressive play from his defense. The result of the scandal got Coyer suspended by the league indefinitely, while head coach Jim Caldwell would lose his job and linebacker Gary Brackett would receive a season-long suspension pending appeal.

The Reality Although the Saints and Colts on the surface don't appear to have much connection, there is one that will tie them together forever: The Mannings. The elder Archie played his entire career as a long-suffereing Saints quarterback, and though the wins are few, he's still one of the most beloved figures in the state of Louisiana. The Manning kids played their prep ball in New Orleans and in the wake of Hurricane Katrina were one of the most visible volunteers in offering their services to those affected by the storm. The parallels were extended inn 2009 as both the Saints are Colts started 11-0 and were the final two teams to suffer a loss in the 2009 season, and they met in Miami for Super Bowl XLIV with N.O. coming out on top 31-17 for their first championship. They also both play in domes, although the Colts new stadium - Lucas Oil Field - is a retractable roof. Oft-burned CB Jason David recorded 5 career INT's in his five seasons, three with Indy...two with New Orleans.

Thoughts I really liked how this one came out. The Colts used to have gray in their unis in the 80's and so the silver wasn't much of a stretch. I like the silver helmets and pants, and I think the horseshoe on the sleeve works well. I'm iffy on the solid blue monochromes, but then again I'm iffy on the Saints' solid black unis. I developed a state of Indiana logo to mirror the Saints' Louisiana State logo and patch, although they haven't worn them on the uniforms for a few seasons now. One change from 2 1/2 years ago is the inclusion of the throwback, which the Saints have pulled out one time each in both 2010 and 2011. I simplified the horseshoe logo on the helmets for the throwbacks to mimic the original, larger Fleur D'Lis logos of the 60's and 70's.

Colts12012.png

Colts22012.png

Colts32012.png

ColtsLogos2012.png

98Falcons.png

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so excited that this series is back. Great job with the Colts. The silver is very nice, but I have two complaints. The blue is too dark, make it more royal, and the primary road looks a lot like the Cowboys. I understand the Cowboys will end up looking different, but I just wanted to point that out. I like the concept as a whole though, good work.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I'm so excited that this series is back. Great job with the Colts. The silver is very nice, but I have two complaints. The blue is too dark, make it more royal, and the primary road looks a lot like the Cowboys. I understand the Cowboys will end up looking different, but I just wanted to point that out. I like the concept as a whole though, good work.

That's actually the Colts' correct blue, per Colorwerx's specs. They use a darker royal than the rest of the league.

98Falcons.png

One of the best concept series OF ALL TIME!!!!!!! (Of all times?)

You're right about the blue monochromes, they don't translate with the black monochromes, unlike the rest of the set. That blue needs some lighter color to balance it.

I also wish (as a Maryland native) that you'd associated the Colts with another team that had moved cities in the middle of the night despite a rabid local fan base. (That maybe would make a Colts/Ravens swap? Woah...) The Manning connection is good, though, and is more recently relevant on the Colts side than the (now) ancient history in Baltimore.

Like the rest of the prime universe, I can't wait to see your new take on this. And some alternate baseball concepts. And alternate hockey. And alternate soccer. (MLS switches with the Premier League!) More awesomeness, please.

Grunge-Logos.png

Good to see this back. It was one of the dark moments on this board when the troll(s) helped destroy the original series. What makes these series good is how you pay attention to detail like you make subtle changes to the horseshoe logo. Thanks for bringing up the Catch III ^_^

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Just found a link to the old thread since I wasn't on the boards at the time, went through the whole thread and it turned into 20 of the most entertaining minutes of my life. Absolutely fantasic thread (before the trolls got it) and I am thrilled to see it back. On the Colts concept, I think the Saints template actually looks pretty good on them. The silver helmet looks better than I thought it would, and that Indiana logo is something they should use. Great job on this concept and waiting with baited breath for more!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

This is my second favorite concept series* and I am glad to see it back up.

*My favorite is your MLB one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I'm definitely a fan of the alternate history concepts; they've been always been well-done. I really do like this Colts set, although it does remind me a bit of the Cowboys with the silver. Even with that said, I could actually see the Colts wearing a similar concept in real life.

Happy happy joy joy..... B)

But seriously, welcome back again Robbman.

While I'm looking forward to your new 'trip

the light fantastic', I do have one question;

will the revamps include ALL of Nike's 2012

uni changes? Lol, I'm gonna be VERY curious

to see the 'new' SeaHawks in this universe.

B) As well as my Jets. ^_^

As a Saints fan (in this universe) I can appreciate this concept a lot. No complaints from me.

Can't wait to see the Saints of the alternate universe.

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Archived