CS85

Basically a Sports Show

2,590 posts in this topic

Howdy folks.

Infrared41 and I have been conspiring (complete with nefarious hand-wringing) on firing up a new podcast centered around sports media/coverage.

Seeing as that this topic has a rather broad scope, the best option may be to have a 3-4 person round-table. We were wondering if any of you CCSLC vagabonds would want to participate.

Infrared1 and I both have been doing the podcast/radio gig off and on for a long time, so if you have any experience behind a mic, that's preferable. Otherwise if you could post anything that would give us an idea of your "radio chops" so to speak, we'd be excited to take a look!

Post here or otherwise PM me/infrared.

I would be interested, I used to back in the day

I would be interested, I used to back in the day

Cool.

We're talking about doing a roundtable type thing. Still working out the details.

i would be interested too. i was in radio a few years ago

Excellent. Another member of the few, the proud, the comically underpaid; yes folks, we're fools who tried to make a living in radio. B)

OK then, I think four should be enough to get started.

So what ideas do you guys have for the show?

maybe we could discuss the diffrent sports highlights shows across channels, (fox soccer report, sportscenter, etc) graphics wise and more coverage wise too. i'm sure as the weeks go on we'll come up with more stuff. maybe even discuss what we like and hate in sports TV graphics?

If you guys are still in need of another guy or need a stand-by, I'd definitely be interested. (Especially as a student with an eye directly towards sports media.)

If you want samples of me talking, just go to THIS LINK. For most of them, just go to around the 46 minute mark, except for the 4/17/12 and and 3/13/12 shows. Those two I actually lead off the show. (4/17 on the phone. 3/13 in studio. (Unfortunately, the only in studio appearance. Show was my buddy's show back in CA while I was in AZ.) I was basically the NHL correspondent for the show, especially since the co-host didn't care one inch about the NHL.

I'm away from a comp until tomorrow afternoon, so PM infrared41/use this thread for questions and stuff like that. I'll chime in more extensively when I get service installed.

This is an idea CS85 has. Thoughts?

Another idea I had was that we could do a section about topics frequently found in the lounge. I was thinking a boat floater/gear grinder thing, hard to believe, etc. I think the looser we keep the show the more fun we can have. I don't necessarily think we need to be rigid regarding the primary gimmick of the program, so long as we keep coming back to it.

I think it's a great idea. Maybe we do a CCSLC themed segment?

I do small market play by play in Collegiate Summer League baseball as well as High School sports, as well as a Public Address announcer gig. I'm def. down, just let me know when and where to point my mic!

i would be interested too. i was in radio a few years ago

There used to be a day where I too was in that field.

I'm thinking of doing a test call/show just to get an idea of how many people we can have on one call and still sound halfway decent. Let's start looking at who's available when and try to set something up. We can even do a couple test runs if we can't get everyone on the same page.

After 2 grueling days, I finally have internet again. I'm available to record pretty much anytime so long as it's in the afternoon (central time) through the late evenings. My bears podcast takes priority right now if there's a scheduling conflict, but otherwise we can rock and roll.

Regarding a "test call" that's fine - let's aim for 4 people if possible, even if it's not the final roster, just to see how my skype software holds up.

After 2 grueling days, I finally have internet again. I'm available to record pretty much anytime so long as it's in the afternoon (central time) through the late evenings. My bears podcast takes priority right now if there's a scheduling conflict, but otherwise we can rock and roll.

Regarding a "test call" that's fine - let's aim for 4 people if possible, even if it's not the final roster, just to see how my skype software holds up.

I have the software to record Skype calls too. Also, the Logocast takes priority with me. But other than that, my schedule is pretty open.

Cool. We can both record and run a quality test when we're done.

Any ideas as to when? We can just do one with me and you for starters to kick the tires.

Also Still MIGHTY, are you Zack in this interview? Talking hockey?

Any ideas as to when? We can just do one with me and you for starters to kick the tires.

Yup. I am Zach. That is me. I talk hockey.

And as far as a schedule, I'm out on the West and I have school in the mornings. Anytime after about 2 p.m. Pacific (4 central, 5 east) I'm available. I always have my laptop with me.

Also, what sort of software outside of skype would I need? If any at all?

Yup. I am Zach. That is me. I talk hockey.

And as far as a schedule, I'm out on the West and I have school in the mornings. Anytime after about 2 p.m. Pacific (4 central, 5 east) I'm available. I always have my laptop with me.

Also, what sort of software outside of skype would I need? If any at all?

Probably nothing. Infrared and I are likely both going to record shows just to be on the safe side.

As a fool currently making some vague semblance of a living in radio with thoughts about things, I'd love to join in if you have an opening.

As a fool currently making some vague semblance of a living in radio with thoughts about things, I'd love to join in if you have an opening.

I didn't know you were in the field Sodboy. I'd be interesting in hearing your stuff, have you got any recordings stashed away you could share?

Absolutely. "Vague semblance of a living." That's good money in radio.