CS85

Basically a Sports Show

wildwing64    1,178

As someone who doesn't pay much attention to the NFL, it surprises me every time I learn that the Cardinals are a hundred plus year old franchise. I have to agree that they don't really look or feel the part, aside from keeping the colour scheme relatively simple.

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #353

avs_why.gif

This week on BASS: More on the “evolving” Los Angeles Rams uniforms. The NHL trade deadline. What’s going on with the Colorado Avalanche? Is Team Israel’s WBC mascot appropriate? And all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via:

CS85    5,185

Need to prep a Glorious Tournament of Victory 2017 thread.  My bracket is ready.

infrared41    3,662
32 minutes ago, CS85 said:

Need to prep a Glorious Tournament of Victory 2017 thread.  My bracket is ready.

Excellent. I'll start a thread after we record the selection show and have the brackets. 

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #354

LoOr8ER.jpg

This week on BASS: Results and analysis from Round Two of the 2017 Glorious Tournament of Victory. March Madness and the effects of "one and done" players on NCAA basketball. ABC and the NBA aren't too happy with the Cleveland Cavaliers. The World Baseball Classic is pointless, but the baseball has been pretty good. And all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via:

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #355

B3pa5Nf.jpg

This week on BASS: "The Factory of Sadness" keeps chugging along as the Cleveland Browns do more Cleveland Browns stuff. The Raiders are officially headed to Las Vegas. Results and analysis from the 2017 Glorious Tournament of Victory Sweet Sixteen, and all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via:

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #356

USATSI_8528187-640x427.jpg

This week on BASS: The 2017 Glorious Tournament of Victory has a champion. MLB Opening Day. A friend of the show goes viral. The NHL won't be sending players to the Winter Olympics. Will Major League Baseball ever work in Florida? And all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

CS85    5,185
10 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Basically a Sports Show #356

USATSI_8528187-640x427.jpg

This week on BASS: The 2017 Glorious Tournament of Victory has a champion. MLB Opening Day. A friend of the show goes viral. The NHL won't be sending players to the Winter Olympics. Will Major League Baseball ever work in Florida? And all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Great show.  Glad to hear Mike finally gets to raise the cup.

mr.negative15    278

I died laughing when Mike said he was mad he had to buy a Mench. lol 

RE: the possibility of baseball in Montreal. It always seemed to me that there is a natural fit with Bell.

TSN lost a significant portion of programming with the whole hockey thing and while they have used MLS to fill in some of that, having a baseball team would give them a lot more programming for the summer. Plus, they have the money to build a stadium without needing government money. Plus, they've shown that they want to keep the Argos alive for one of their TV property's sake. 

Maybe it's easy for me to spend their money but I always thought it would be a good fit. 

infrared41    3,662
2 hours ago, CS85 said:

Thanks. Even though our show wasn't released until yesterday, we recorded Monday night. Technically, that makes BASS the first show to run with the Tank thing. Barstool Sports can :censored: right off. B)

marble21    394

So I've been having some technical issues with the podcasts on my incompetent phone recently which I will put in a spoiler below. It's not the absolute worst thing in the world as I have been able to catch them on youtube from my PC with no real inconvenience. Great shows as always.

Spoiler

So I have an android phone and use an app called Podcast Addict. I believe it just picks up on the RSS feeds (or similar) that you upload to. I have 8 podcasts set up on there and none of the others are experiencing this problem.

Basically, when the shows appear as available to download, the file shows as an mp3 but there is no time/file length information available. It just shows as --:-- instead of 48:32 for example. My phone then doesn't recognise it as an mp3 or audio file and so won't play it - despite it clearly being an mp3 file. This has happened for the last 5 shows or so, so I don't know if anything has been changed in the way you do things in that time? The feed it says it is picking up on is http://feeds.feedburner.com/BasicallySports

Like I said in the original part of the post, I am still able to get access to the shows really easily, so don't spend any time trying to fix this if you can't immediately think of anything that might be causing this. I just thought it might be useful to let you know in case this might affect anything or anyone else.

infrared41    3,662
5 hours ago, marble21 said:

So I've been having some technical issues with the podcasts on my incompetent phone recently which I will put in a spoiler below. It's not the absolute worst thing in the world as I have been able to catch them on youtube from my PC with no real inconvenience. Great shows as always.

Hide contents

So I have an android phone and use an app called Podcast Addict. I believe it just picks up on the RSS feeds (or similar) that you upload to. I have 8 podcasts set up on there and none of the others are experiencing this problem.

Basically, when the shows appear as available to download, the file shows as an mp3 but there is no time/file length information available. It just shows as --:-- instead of 48:32 for example. My phone then doesn't recognise it as an mp3 or audio file and so won't play it - despite it clearly being an mp3 file. This has happened for the last 5 shows or so, so I don't know if anything has been changed in the way you do things in that time? The feed it says it is picking up on is http://feeds.feedburner.com/BasicallySports

Like I said in the original part of the post, I am still able to get access to the shows really easily, so don't spend any time trying to fix this if you can't immediately think of anything that might be causing this. I just thought it might be useful to let you know in case this might affect anything or anyone else.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would be causing the issue or how to fix it. If it helps, we're also on the Stitcher and Spreaker apps. Sorry, wish I could do more, but that type of stuff is well beyond my capabilities.

Ice_Cap    7,587
11 hours ago, CS85 said:

Victory! 2 sweet!

LMU    3,017
Just now, infrared41 said:

Unfortunately, I have no idea what would be causing the issue or how to fix it. If it helps, we're also on the Stitcher and Spreaker apps. Sorry, wish I could do more, but that type of stuff is well beyond my capabilities.

Sounds like an app issue. I subscribe from the tumblr rss through iOS PodCruncher and I have none of those issues.

nash61    850

Not sure if this is possible, but i would love to see the GTOV extended next year, and have each round tied to a BASS episode. 

This year we had:

-Selection Show/Round 1

-Round of 32

-Sweet Sixteen

-Champion announced

I like to listen to the BASS guys' reactions/reasoning from each round before looking at the results thread. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for the later rounds. 

The voting in the later rounds were also REALLY FAST. 48 hours for the Championship? That's crazy fast. If BASS comes out on Wednesdays, we could open voting on Thursday and close it on Tuesday. I'm not sure what day you guys tape on, but that would make it predictable, and allow a few more episodes of GTOV goodness on the show. 

infrared41    3,662
1 hour ago, nash61 said:

Not sure if this is possible, but i would love to see the GTOV extended next year, and have each round tied to a BASS episode. 

This year we had:

-Selection Show/Round 1

-Round of 32

-Sweet Sixteen

-Champion announced

I like to listen to the BASS guys' reactions/reasoning from each round before looking at the results thread. Unfortunately, that wasn't an option for the later rounds. 

The voting in the later rounds were also REALLY FAST. 48 hours for the Championship? That's crazy fast. If BASS comes out on Wednesdays, we could open voting on Thursday and close it on Tuesday. I'm not sure what day you guys tape on, but that would make it predictable, and allow a few more episodes of GTOV goodness on the show. 

From the beginning, the GTOV was designed to run concurrently with March Madness. In order to do that, the voting pace has to pick up in the later rounds. The selection show is the "flagship" BASS episode for the GTOV.  Once the selection show is done, we think it's better to let the bulk of the tournament take place outside the show.  The GTOV was never intended to be a 5-6  week run of episodes. 

FWIW, we tried doing a show for every round a couple years back and the GTOV dragged on well past March Madness. GTOV voting dropped off considerably after the basketball championship game. It was obvious that people lost interest. By the time we finally reached the GTOV championship, we were as bored with it as everyone else was. Sticking to the current GTOV schedule works best for us, and more importantly, it seems to work best for the listeners.  

As always, thanks for listening and thanks for the input. Maybe next year we'll try to do GTOV update mini-episodes outside the actual show or something. 

nash61    850
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

As always, thanks for listening and thanks for the input. Maybe next year we'll try to do GTOV update mini-episodes outside the actual show or something. 

I like this idea. As the GTOV is just part of the hour-long show, it would be good to hear (and save the crew a ton of work) just that section for each round. Results and reaction and that's it. I feel like the BASS crew adds a lot to the tournament (obviously because they're such an intrinsic part of it), and their analysis is one of my favourite parts (especially their shared surprise when the :censored: Mensch beat my beloved Moose Leg)

marble21    394
6 hours ago, infrared41 said:

6 hours ago, LMU said:

Sounds like an app issue. I subscribe from the tumblr rss through iOS PodCruncher and I have none of those issues.

Not to worry. I'll check some things within the app and see if it fixes things - it's helpful to know that other apps are working. Like you say, thankfully they are plenty of alternatives.