CS85

Basically a Sports Show

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #360

l4S4QDj.png

This week on BASS: Mike and Zach's annual "Sun Belt hockey fans vs. Canadian hockey fans" argument. The NFL Draft, round two of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the NBA Playoffs, and all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via

wildwing64    1,178
8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Mike and Zach's annual "Sun Belt hockey fans vs. Canadian hockey fans" argument.

Guess I'll be needing some popcorn for the commute home tonight :P

BeerGuyJordan    873

"Anyone but the Preds"

861fe80b06b3e3c35d68677cdb14379bc2ec0c7faf65230d8fa6e93494eab818.jpg

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #361

vNHotbJ.jpg

This week on BASS: The Anaheim Ducks are in all too familiar territory. So are the St. Louis Blues and Washington Capitals. Is there a more pointless exercise in sports than the first round of the NBA Playoffs? Zach plays the annual WHL Draft Name game, and all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via

infrared41    3,662
6 minutes ago, marble21 said:

Greggie Midnight.

Ha! I don't think I fit the...ummm...how can I say this...I don't meet the physical profile requirements. B)

mr.negative15    278

Quick question: don't recall if you guys have mentioned this before or not.

speaking to the conversation regarding your audio quality from the top of the podcast, what do you use to record? (program and microphones)

Ice_Cap    7,587
29 minutes ago, mr.negative15 said:

speaking to the conversation regarding your audio quality from the top of the podcast, what do you use to record? (program and microphones)

I've just got a Logitech headset.

Still MIGHTY    1,855
1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

I had a Logitech headset, but the USB connector broke. I then used the set-up I use to do Long Beach State Hockey play-by-play, but I don't have that in the offseason (and after like an hour, it always did this weird static garbage sound).

Right now, I'm just using my Apple earbuds.

LMU    3,017
2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Ha! I don't think I fit the...ummm...how can I say this...I don't meet the physical profile requirements. B)

To get the "Midnight" name you have to block the sun.

infrared41    3,662

5 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

You asked, so here we go...B)

I use a Turtle Beach head set. The show goes through three separate audio programs before it airs. The original raw recording is done via Skype Call Recorder. From there, the segments are loaded into Audacity where I edit them.

The amount of editing varies from show to show. Usually, a segment is edited for time. For example, let's say a segment ran 40 minutes, but we covered the gist of the topic in 25 minutes and then we spent the next 15 saying what we'd already said. (I'm usually the guilty party in that scenario.) Sometimes, I'll edit out parts of the conversation that just weren't very interesting. Sometimes, entire segments don't make the final show. Then there are times where the show you're hearing is basically as it happened with no editing other than tightening up the beginnings of the segments. There are times where a conversation will start before I hit the record button and that segment starts in mid-sentence so I'll fix that part and leave the rest alone. (Pretty sure BASS #359 was an unedited show. There have been a lot of others, but I couldn't tell you which ones anymore.) Anyway, each segment "goes under the knife" to some extent. 

Once the editing is done, each segment is run through Audacity's noise removal filter, compressor, and equalizer. Usually, the only EQ added is a little bass and a little treble. The files are then exported from Audacity to that week's show folder as .wav files. From there, I convert the .wav files to mp3 and start to put the final show together. 

The final show is built on Garage Band. The disclaimer and "clean" open are put on the timeline. Then I add the stuff like "rock and roll party" or "8 inches of his shaft in his hand", etc. I don't do it so much anymore, but I used to try to add stuff to the open was relevant to that week's show. These days, I pretty much stick to the "standards." Usually, the only variation is if you hear "these uniforms are lame, man" in the open, you're guaranteed to hear some uniform/logo talk in that week's show. Anyway, moving on...once the open is done, I add the show segments to the timeline. With Garage Band, I add another round of compression and just a dash of reverb to the show segments. I think the reverb helps make the show sound a little fuller.

Once the segment is placed on the timeline, it's time for the "Mighty BASS Players" to check in (Lil' Paul Stanley, the Chimps, etc.) Throughout the recording, I write notes with ideas for who or what to use where. I'll go through my notes and find the places in the segment where I thought adding some music, sound effects, etc. might work. I'll add the effects to see how it sounds. If it works, it stays, if not, it's removed and I go on to the next part. And so on...

Once all that is done, the final show is exported from Garage Band as an mp3 file. From there, it's uploaded to the various outlets and headed for a computer or phone near you. 

Hope that answered your question. B)

3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

I had a Logitech headset, but the USB connector broke. I then used the set-up I use to do Long Beach State Hockey play-by-play, but I don't have that in the offseason (and after like an hour, it always did this weird static garbage sound).

Right now, I'm just using my Apple earbuds.

I have an extra logitech headset that I will gladly mail to you if that's what it takes to get you to stop using those f-ing earbuds. B) (We've been all but begging Zach to get a new headset so the show can go back to sounding as good as it did before his headset broke. Maybe shaming him in this thread will do the trick.) 

marble21    394
4 hours ago, infrared41 said:

You asked, so here we go...B)

Interesting to know and a well timed "Paul Stanley" or "Cleveland Rocks" always goes down well with me.

mr.negative15    278

@Ice_Cap 

Thanks!

@Still MIGHTY

Thanks! I also have tried using the iphone headset for a project I've been trying to do with a couple friends (more below).

@infrared41 That is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to type that all out.

I have done a couple "test" episodes of a podcast that I am going to start doing with 2 friends and the audio just always sounds like there is a noise in the background. We tested recording with Zencaster but I think I'll try that filter you mention in Audacity. 

I've been looking at getting a Blue Yetti microphone but have hesitated out of fear of not being able to get the sound right (thus the project ending and the microphone just collecting dust) but this may be a chicken and egg situation. I'll just dive in and make the purchase, try that filter, and hopefully we have something that isn't crap.

infrared41    3,662
1 hour ago, mr.negative15 said:

@Ice_Cap 

Thanks!

@Still MIGHTY

Thanks! I also have tried using the iphone headset for a project I've been trying to do with a couple friends (more below).

@infrared41 That is awesome! Thanks for taking the time to type that all out.

I have done a couple "test" episodes of a podcast that I am going to start doing with 2 friends and the audio just always sounds like there is a noise in the background. We tested recording with Zencaster but I think I'll try that filter you mention in Audacity. 

I've been looking at getting a Blue Yetti microphone but have hesitated out of fear of not being able to get the sound right (thus the project ending and the microphone just collecting dust) but this may be a chicken and egg situation. I'll just dive in and make the purchase, try that filter, and hopefully we have something that isn't crap.

Glad you enjoyed it. 

I strongly suggest going with a good headset over the Blue Yeti. A lot of the "podcast" mics like the Yeti put out a "pick up pattern" that grabs any and everything it "hears." That will produce a lot of background noise and a "spacious" overall sound. A headset pick up pattern only picks up what you say directly into the microphone. Back when we did the Logocast, two of us used headsets and one of us used a Yeti. Long story short, we had all sorts of problems getting the sound right. Not to mention, a headset allows you to move your head. I couldn't do BASS if I had to sit directly in front of the mic for 90 minutes. I'm always getting up and walking around while we're doing the show.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help out anyway I can with your podcast. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you think I can help with. 

infrared41    3,662
7 hours ago, marble21 said:

Interesting to know and a well timed "Paul Stanley" or "Cleveland Rocks" always goes down well with me.

"YEAH!" B7YMR3J.jpg 

mr.negative15    278
42 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Glad you enjoyed it. 

I strongly suggest going with a good headset over the Blue Yeti. A lot of the "podcast" mics like the Yeti put out a "pick up pattern" that grabs any and everything it "hears." That will produce a lot of background noise and a "spacious" overall sound. A headsets pick up pattern only picks up what you say directly into the microphone. Back when we did the Logocast, two of us used headsets and the one of us used a Yeti. Long story short, we had all sorts of problems getting the sound right. Not to mention, a headset allows you to move your head. I couldn't do BASS if I had to sit directly in front of the mic for 90 minutes. I'm always getting up and walking around while we're doing the show.

Anyway, I'd be happy to help out anyway I can with your podcast. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions you think I can help with. 

One of my friends who I do this with has a Blue Yeti and he mentioned that he felt his track (Zencaster records a track for each person) sounded like it has a bit of a echo sound. This explains it. I will try a headset then!

I've passed this info on to my friend as well. I'm going to pick up a head set and try recording something again tonight and compare.

Really appreciate this insight! 

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #362

Y4EpIJ9.jpg

This week on BASS: Were the layoffs the beginning of the end at ESPN? The Ottawa Senators are legit. What’s next for the Washington Capitals? In goal for the Nashville Predators, Lester Pekkarinne. The Stanley Cup Conference Finals, and all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #363

13397146.jpg?size=640x420

This week on BASS: We're once again plagued by our old friend, technical issues - to comedic effect in one segment - but we did manage to pull a usable 30 minutes of NHL and NBA Playoffs talk out of the wreckage. 

Listen via

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #364

new-logos-top-story.jpg

This week on BASS: The Cleveland Cavaliers released a new logo set and we got another dose of “Nike-speak.” Do we really need so many off days between games in the NBA Finals? Checking in on MLB, the Stanley Cup Final, and all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via

infrared41    3,662

Basically a Sports Show #365

xEs1v9k.jpg

This week on BASS: Kevin Durant is taking the easy way out in pursuit of a ring. The Warriors are just better than the Cavs. NFL throwback uniform talk. A round of Zach’s Tabs and all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via