CS85

Basically a Sports Show

infrared41    3,625

Basically a Sports Show #366

mAxtg1T.jpg

This week on BASS: RIP Adam West. The Pittsburgh Penguins are Stanley Cup Champions. Did officiating help the Pens win the Cup? Losing didn’t go over real well with some Predators fans. The NBA Finals are still boring. Televising the MLB Draft is pointless, and all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via

NOTE: The original mp3 file was mislabeled as Basically a Sports Show #367. The episode number is correct on Tumblr and Spreaker, but it may show up as BASS #367 on iTunes and Stitcher. 

BeerGuyJordan    838

As a Nashville fan, of course I wanted to see us win. Objectively, though, I agree with y'all that a loss is probably better for the franchise and fanbase.

Still MIGHTY    1,809
2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

As a Nashville fan, of course I wanted to see us win. Objectively, though, I agree with y'all that a loss is probably better for the franchise and fanbase.

Right, of course. You don't want your team to lose for existential fan base reasons haha.

But, like I said, I think this will ultimately make you all stronger on the other side of it. If you won it, it'd be so easy for the bandwagon to say "Well hey, that was fun. Mission accomplished though. High five, everybody. See you when we feel like it." Now those people are invested and hopefully want to see this thing through. Not some one year burst of magic.

BeerGuyJordan    838

Also, my $0.02 on the "Greatest Hockey Team." I agree the argument should be limited to team eras (75-79 Habs, 09-15 Hawks, 08-17 Pens, 79-84 Isles and 82-88 Oilers being your strongest candidates).

If we have to suggest a single year, I'd suggest the 87-88 Oilers. Only team since last playoff expansion to win the Cup in 18 games 

wildwing64    1,142

The Top 20 on that list are hardly surprising choices so far. Any fan poll of Greatest Ever X is always going to be heavily biased a certain way and it's just utter crap. Naturally the 2007 Ducks are going to end up ranking pretty low because it's been trendy to hate them since that one time they swept a team that barely scraped their way into the postseason.

infrared41    3,625
On 6/19/2017 at 3:54 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

Also, my $0.02 on the "Greatest Hockey Team." I agree the argument should be limited to team eras (75-79 Habs, 09-15 Hawks, 08-17 Pens, 79-84 Isles and 82-88 Oilers being your strongest candidates).

If we have to suggest a single year, I'd suggest the 87-88 Oilers. Only team since last playoff expansion to win the Cup in 18 games 

I didn't start following hockey until around 1982 so I know very little about the 70's Habs teams. Based on what I've seen since I started following the sport, my vote would have to go to those 80's Oilers teams. They were incredible. 

infrared41    3,625

Basically a Sports Show #367

5WcHpFh.jpg

This week on BASS: The more things change in the NBA, the more they stay the same. The Vegas Golden Knights hold all the cards (pun fully intended) in the expansion draft. Will the team try to be competitive quickly or will it use the opportunity to build a solid foundation for the future? The new Los Angeles Rams uniforms aren’t going over very well with Rams fans.

Listen via

mr.negative15    273

I've meant to post this before but;

I agree with the sentiments about the NBA that have kind of become the a recurring topic (which, I find a very interesting topic BTW). 

Greg keeps mentioning the old Celtics-Lakers rivalry and then, this past week, TSN aired a series of 30 for 30s regarding the Lakers/Celtics going back to when the Lakers moved to LA up to current times. 

I had no clue that Magic Johnson and Larry Bird were drafted by those teams. As easily as I could have found out otherwise, I just assumed that they were acquired after 2 or 3 years with other teams. No kidding it was natural and not at all like it is today. 

But to the "super team" point, it's funny, I was talking to my friend who is a huge basketball fan (in case you couldn't tell. I'm not.) because I saw an article that said that Blake Griffin was considering Toronto on his list of cities he'd like to play and all that friend said is "Nope, it'll never happen, we're just leverage". This friend believes that Toronto will never win a championship, even as a die-hard Raptors fan. I think this speaks to what you guys are saying. There's just no hope and it makes me even less interested to try and follow the sport more than a casual observer. 

marble21    392

On the subject of the upcoming anniversary and moments that stood out to me. When the Cavs won the title and the podcast was played out by the full version of Cleveland Rocks by Ian Hunter. When I heard the song start I was like, "Of course they've chosen this!" It was so fitting.

infrared41    3,625
9 hours ago, marble21 said:

On the subject of the upcoming anniversary and moments that stood out to me. When the Cavs won the title and the podcast was played out by the full version of Cleveland Rocks by Ian Hunter. When I heard the song start I was like, "Of course they've chosen this!" It was so fitting.

I'd totally forgotten that we played "Cleveland Rocks" at the end of that episode, but yeah, I had to throw it in there.

Anyway, I think I've figured out a way to put together a little 5 year retrospective type thing. If it works like I'm hoping it will, it will be pretty cool. 

BeerGuyJordan    838

Re: Anaheim as an L.A. suburb.

I don't know that I would qualify it as a suburb. It is certainly its own city, but is merely a lesser city, within the same Metro area. I would compare it to Dallas/Ft. Worth or Minneapolis/St. Paul, only with a larger degree of population disparity, between the two.

Kind of how no one in Newark sees themselves as a suburb, just part of the NYC metro area.

BeerGuyJordan    838

I don't have a strong opinion, either way, regarding the WHA stats, I was primarily curious, as I recently sat in on a heated bar room debate over the issue.

Greg made the point that the WHA wasn't the equivalent of the AFL (I agree), or the ABA. I found the ABA point interesting. He didn't expand on it, but I, personally, think the ABA is pretty much the exact same case as the WHA.

The ABA (which does not have its stats honored by the NBA), only lasted 8 seasons, compared to the WHA's 7. Both leagues were competitive enough to affect the established league's revenues, but were flailing, towards the end. Both "mergers" were conducted as expansions, and were for 4 teams (with the remaining two being paid to fold).

infrared41    3,625
4 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

I don't have a strong opinion, either way, regarding the WHA stats, I was primarily curious, as I recently sat in on a heated bar room debate over the issue.

Greg made the point that the WHA wasn't the equivalent of the AFL (I agree), or the ABA. I found the ABA point interesting. He didn't expand on it, but I, personally, think the ABA is pretty much the exact same case as the WHA.

The ABA (which does not have its stats honored by the NBA), only lasted 8 seasons, compared to the WHA's 7. Both leagues were competitive enough to affect the established league's revenues, but were flailing, towards the end. Both "mergers" were conducted as expansions, and were for 4 teams (with the remaining two being paid to fold).

That's a great point. You're absolutely right. In that context, the ABA and WHA are pretty much the same league. I retract the comment. I still stand behind the AFL comparison, but I was off the mark using the ABA in my argument.

The funny thing is, while I really liked both leagues, I liked the WHA more than the ABA. I loved our Cleveland Crusaders. To this day, the Crusaders are my favorite hockey team. 

Cosmic    2,474

FYI, my movie question was split up with the Canadian/British spelling of "theatre" for Mike. I guess the joke could have gone better. :lol:

infrared41    3,625
3 hours ago, Cosmic said:

FYI, my movie question was split up with the Canadian/British spelling of "theatre" for Mike. I guess the joke could have gone better. :lol:

Damn. We totally missed that. Many apologies. That was quite clever on your part.