CS85

Basically a Sports Show

2,587 posts in this topic

Basically a Sports Show #366

mAxtg1T.jpg

This week on BASS: RIP Adam West. The Pittsburgh Penguins are Stanley Cup Champions. Did officiating help the Pens win the Cup? Losing didn’t go over real well with some Predators fans. The NBA Finals are still boring. Televising the MLB Draft is pointless, and all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via

NOTE: The original mp3 file was mislabeled as Basically a Sports Show #367. The episode number is correct on Tumblr and Spreaker, but it may show up as BASS #367 on iTunes and Stitcher. 

As a Nashville fan, of course I wanted to see us win. Objectively, though, I agree with y'all that a loss is probably better for the franchise and fanbase.

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

As a Nashville fan, of course I wanted to see us win. Objectively, though, I agree with y'all that a loss is probably better for the franchise and fanbase.

Right, of course. You don't want your team to lose for existential fan base reasons haha.

But, like I said, I think this will ultimately make you all stronger on the other side of it. If you won it, it'd be so easy for the bandwagon to say "Well hey, that was fun. Mission accomplished though. High five, everybody. See you when we feel like it." Now those people are invested and hopefully want to see this thing through. Not some one year burst of magic.

1 person likes this

Also, my $0.02 on the "Greatest Hockey Team." I agree the argument should be limited to team eras (75-79 Habs, 09-15 Hawks, 08-17 Pens, 79-84 Isles and 82-88 Oilers being your strongest candidates).

If we have to suggest a single year, I'd suggest the 87-88 Oilers. Only team since last playoff expansion to win the Cup in 18 games 

1 person likes this

The Top 20 on that list are hardly surprising choices so far. Any fan poll of Greatest Ever X is always going to be heavily biased a certain way and it's just utter crap. Naturally the 2007 Ducks are going to end up ranking pretty low because it's been trendy to hate them since that one time they swept a team that barely scraped their way into the postseason.

On 6/19/2017 at 3:54 PM, BeerGuyJordan said:

Also, my $0.02 on the "Greatest Hockey Team." I agree the argument should be limited to team eras (75-79 Habs, 09-15 Hawks, 08-17 Pens, 79-84 Isles and 82-88 Oilers being your strongest candidates).

If we have to suggest a single year, I'd suggest the 87-88 Oilers. Only team since last playoff expansion to win the Cup in 18 games 

I didn't start following hockey until around 1982 so I know very little about the 70's Habs teams. Based on what I've seen since I started following the sport, my vote would have to go to those 80's Oilers teams. They were incredible. 

Basically a Sports Show #367

5WcHpFh.jpg

This week on BASS: The more things change in the NBA, the more they stay the same. The Vegas Golden Knights hold all the cards (pun fully intended) in the expansion draft. Will the team try to be competitive quickly or will it use the opportunity to build a solid foundation for the future? The new Los Angeles Rams uniforms aren’t going over very well with Rams fans.

Listen via