CS85

Basically a Sports Show

dont care    1,442

To answer your question about how I listen to your show. I listen to it on cardio days at the gym to keep me distracted from the boredom of a run. I also probably look rediculous randomnly laughing on the treadmill at the gym. 

BeerGuyJordan    873

Regarding what I like about the show, I like that it's a sports show that isn't really about any one specific thing. There's no agenda, no forcing it, etc. It feels like listening to a bunch of people sitting around talking sports, like I enjoy doing.

How I listen: I just hit the BASS link, in the BASS thread, when the new show, is posted.

marble21    394

I will chime in too as all of the other cool kids are doing it and I don't want to feel left out. Spoilered due to length.

• I mainly listen to the show on my phone. I have an android phone and use an app called Podcast Addict which you can search for any podcast on and I believe it just picks up on the RSS feed or whatever you call it. I have 9 regular podcasts set up on there but BASS is always the top priority. I listen to BASS on my drive to and from work via an auxiliary cable in my car. I find the commute more relaxing when listening to spoken word stuff rather than music. Songs starting and finishing every 4 minutes or so gives you a real sense of time passing by and I find that frustrates me when I am sat in traffic. Quite often I will be most of the way through a show when I get home, so I will listen to the rest on my PC via YouTube. If you ever look into the YouTube analytics and see... hey, whats this person from the UK doing who keeps only listening to 7 minutes of the show? That's me, sorry.
  •  I guess the main reason I listen to the show is also for that casual sports chat thing too. I've mentioned it before that I really enjoy US sports but none of my friends do. So I get to have the casual bar chat with them about soccer, rugby etc but the void for NFL, NCAA, MLB etc is filled by BASS. As you mentioned on the show, it's not just a case of saying "these were the results today". It's the back and forth debate about incidents, predictions about upcoming events that I find fun to talk about and listen to. Most importantly though it's the trashing of teams and fan bases you don't like.
  • Another thing is that literally ALL of my NHL knowledge comes from listening to this show. I remember when I called in to the Basically a Lounge Report years ago you were baffled when I said that I did not understand hockey - considering it is the most similar big 4 sport to soccer. I obviously understand the basic rules (except icing, but that's another story) but what I mean is that I don't know enough about the nuances of the sport to be able to discuss it at any length. I have a few Canadian family members, so it was with great pleasure last year that I was able to bad mouth their favourite teams just by reciting some things that you had talked about on the show.

wildwing64    1,177

I used to listen to an episode on my one day off while working on a design or something, but nowadays I download the episode's mp3 file and load it onto my Sansa Clip Zip for my commute to (or from) my part time job on one of three days that I travel there. The commute one way consists of two bus journeys and usually lasts around 1 hour 30 minutes which - while not ideal in the slightest - is basically perfect for podcasts. Other shows that I have in rotation often go well into the 2-3 hour mark and I split those between the journeys there and back.

Like marble, a lot of my sports knowledge comes from listening to you guys talking about it on the show, but unlike him I'm almost exclusively an NHL fan and don't pay much attention to the other sports. Not even the British ones, but then my very reason for becoming a hockey fan in the first place is somewhat unusual*. On separate occasions I've tried getting into the other big three American leagues and ended up losing interest for different reasons**. But despite this your discussions about the silly happenings in every league, the sports media, or in general, always keeps me amused :D 

EDIT: Also, count me in as a member of the I've-never-watched-Game-of-Thrones club. I've missed out on basically all of these big popular shows - even Breaking Bad - but the fantasy genre has never appealed to me all that much so nothing's really drawing me to it.

*Long story short: an animated show about a Power Rangers-esque team of hockey playing, humanoid ducks from outer space made me a fan.

**A friend tried making me into a Chicago Bulls fan and it never stuck. I was briefly a Houston Texans fan while on my University's football team, but my interest in hockey kind of overpowered that and I simply stopped caring. And then I tried following the Angels but the all-too frequent 3am phone notifications gave me second thoughts.

mr.negative15    278

My 2 cents on why/how I listen:

Apple Podcast, I'm subscribed so it's nice and easy.

I don't recall exactly when I started listening, Andy was still in weekly, but he didn't stick around too much longer. Maybe 2 months? Anyways, I know I found it on the boards and it was one of the first podcasts (after a local Toronto show that I loved but it is no longer "Bite Radio") I listened to. I echo the sentiments of just about everyone else that it's nice to listen to sports talk that isn't so darn serious and isn't focused on 1 specific sport. Throw in the CCSLC references and some pop culture at times, and it's very relate-able. 

I currently subscribe to about 20 podcasts (I've basically given up on radio) on various topics (wrestling, comedy, interviews, D and D) and there's about 10-20 more that I'll just listen to when I like the topic or guest that week, a lot of which are sports pods. I have even started my own podcast (many thanks to Greg for all this help with that). 

But BASS and the 30 for 30 podcasts are the only sports podcasts I subscribe to and don't get sick of. 

infrared41    3,658

On behalf of the BASS crew, thanks for the answers, guys. I'm humbled by these responses. It's awesome that you guys listen and enjoy the show. We really appreciate your feedback and support. Feel free to let us know if there's any topics you'd like us to talk about etc. 

Cosmic    2,501

I listen exclusively in my work truck. I make it through about four hours of content per day. I'm subscribed through iTunes, and I load up two or three days' worth of stuff onto a flash drive at a time. I have to slice the podcasts into 20 minute chunks to make it easier for my radio to handle.

I like the show, because it feels like an audio version of (how I use) these boards. Hockey, football, logos/uniforms, random craziness and pop culture, dabble in baseball and basketball once in a while. I get 99% of my baseball and basketball coverage from BASS. :o

marble21    394
13 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Feel free to let us know if there's any topics you'd like us to talk about etc. 

A partially formed idea I have that you are welcome to discuss or even alter to suit your needs is...

I no longer really have a football team that I follow. For almost 10 years I was a fan of the San Diego 'Super' Chargers* and also Penn State** for around 5 years. I don't think it really needs explaining why I no longer have an affinity for either team. I know that you can't just decide to start supporting a team all of a sudden. I believe that something will happen when you are watching the sport which will spark an interest in a certain team and the fandom will naturally grow over time.

Considering I am not tied down with geographical connections, are there any teams you would suggest would be good teams to support? Any teams to avoid like the plague? Or... just be like Greg and have 7 favourite teams? This could be extended across other sports too, I guess.

*I followed them because they had a WR called Keenan McCardell. This is similar to my surname (of which 'marble' is a simplification) so I watched a few of their games. Watching LaDainian Tomlinson play was incredible and I became a fan.

**I actually chose Penn State because I thought that they were a school with genuine values - not as flashy as the other teams and put an emphasis on academic performance too. There were plenty of issues at the time surrounding teams violating NCAA rules about giving players cars and housing their families etc. I thought by choosing Penn State that I could have a clean conscience because they seemed like a school that would never be involved in a scandal. Well, that didn't exactly go to plan. 

Cosmic    2,501

I still think you guys should have a random draft every once in a while during the slow parts of the year: candy draft, President draft, state draft, etc. Also, I think the BIG3 would be interesting to talk about, and I don't care about basketball at all. It's a startup league that seems to actually have some traction. There's a lot of logos and goofy names to discuss. There's the AI-back-in-Philly thing and whether it's right to base so much around one player that might not play. Do you think any other leagues could do the "senior tour" thing, and how would the rules be different? (Apologies if you guys already discussed BIG3, but I don't remember it.)

infrared41    3,658

Basically a Sports Show #372

4V9bqiK.jpg

This week on BASS: Are sabermetrics ruining Major League Baseball? The MLB All-Star Game is pointless. Tom Brady gives us the secret to life. How did Jeff Fisher manage to be an NFL head coach for 22 years? UCLA Football unveils new uniforms. A BASS prediction comes to pass. And all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via

infrared41    3,658

Basically a Sports Show #373

VCxjnKk.jpg

A rare all NBA episode this week on BASS. The new Nike uniforms, player movement, and the Clippers will always be the Clippers. Plus all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via

infrared41    3,658

Basically a Sports Show #374

BzNPxz0.jpg

This week on BASS: The NFL and CTE . How does football address the CTE issue? Can football as we know it survive? The Indiana Pacers unveil new uniforms and logos. Does the NBA “community” jersey mean we’re in store for more contrived names like “Rip City”, “the Land”, “Buzz City”, etc? And all the usual BASS-type stuff.

Listen via

mr.negative15    278

This was a good one. I laughed quite a bit. 

To Mike's point about the original Raptor's uniforms: I was born in '85 and grew up in the Toronto area as well. So we're kind of cut from the same cloth in that regard but I do love those uniforms. I admit they aren't the best of all time and maybe I am just hanging on to the fact that I was the first kid in grade 5 to have had a Raptor's jersey so I was cool for about a week, but I still have it in my collection and love it. 

But I'm just waiting for the black uniform with the gold numbers and lettering that's like that metallic gold (you know, the kind that shines when the light bounces off it. "bling") that and the word mark on it will be "The 6ix". It's going to suck so hard. 

Greg, I laughed my ass off when you said that Philly is "sixering...an active 6". 

infrared41    3,658
3 hours ago, mr.negative15 said:

Greg, I laughed my ass off when you said that Philly is "sixering...an active 6". 

Thanks. I do what I can. B)

infrared41    3,658

Basically a Sports Show #375

h6mlKnt.jpg

This week on BASS: Jay Cutler bails on broadcasting and signs a deal with the Miami Dolphins. Colin Kaepernick is still looking for a job. Is Kaepernick talented enough to overcome the "distraction" that comes with signing him? Terrell Davis is in the Hall of Fame, but does he deserve to be there? The new Cleveland Cavaliers uniforms have secret compartments. Plus all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via

infrared41    3,658

Basically a Sports Show #376

ct2Zaut.jpg

This week on BASS: The Chargers make their LA debut to a bunch of empty seats. More new NBA uniforms. Do we really need MLB "player's weekend" jerseys? NFL preseason talk and all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via

infrared41    3,658

Basically a Sports Show #377

xeWb9FY.jpg

This week on BASS: The "Great American Eclipse." The Los Angeles Chargers and Vegas Golden Knights are perfect examples of what not to do with a pro sports franchise. ESPN overreacts to something that it should have ignored and ignored something it should have reacted to. After a promising start, FS1 has gone right down the tubes and turned into ESPN Junior. Plus all the usual BASS-type stuff. 

Listen via