CS85

Basically a Sports Show

2,560 posts in this topic

Most definitely. A visionary.

---

And look at all the progress we made while I was asleep! :lol:

I like the name. I like the logo. I actually like @BasicallySports as a handle. I understand infrared's thoughts on the connotation, but isn't that basically what we're doing? (Ha! Basically! Synergy!)

if you guys need a fill in and stuff i'm willing to do it, just let me know and stuff :P

It was brought up about circulating members of the forum onto the show, and it is a fantastic idea, but not one I think we should do for another 2 episodes at least. I certainly would love to/would be potentially horrified to hear what guys like Sodboy or the admiral have to say.

Did we pick a twitter handle? Tumblr been set up? I got an account setup at archive.org.

Here's some thoughts I had about stuff for this or other shows:

- the good and bad of sideline reporters

- ESPN morning shows and how they've de-evolved

- the enigma known as Joe Buck

Most definitely. A visionary.

---

And look at all the progress we made while I was asleep! :lol:

I like the name. I like the logo. I actually like @BasicallySports as a handle. I understand infrared's thoughts on the connotation, but isn't that basically what we're doing? (Ha! Basically! Synergy!)

There it is. I'm going to set it up.

It was brought up about circulating members of the forum onto the show, and it is a fantastic idea, but not one I think we should do for another 2 episodes at least. I certainly would love to/would be potentially horrified to hear what guys like Sodboy or the admiral have to say.

Did we pick a twitter handle? Tumblr been set up? I got an account setup at archive.org.

Here's some thoughts I had about stuff for this or other shows:

- the good and bad of sideline reporters

- ESPN morning shows and how they've de-evolved

- the enigma known as Joe Buck

I'm good with bringing in the occasional "5th Beatle." (Frankly, I'm stunned that the Lt. Colonel expressed an interest in this.) I agree with waiting a couple episodes before we try it. We can also put together a "stable" of fill-in hosts for when one of us is unavailable or something.

I like all the topic ideas. Another one I was kicking around is "first and wrong vs. second and right." The idea is to talk about how in their rush to be first, the media sometimes really blows a story. Part of that could also be talking about things like someone from NFL Network (can't remember who) saying last week that RGIII was the most athletic QB ever after seeing him play in one game. I'm sure there will be some stories that break as the week progresses too. So we should have no trouble with content.

Finally, Twitter is done @BasicallySports. I'll set up a Tumble account when I get home from work tonight. Once I have everything up and running, I'll send out passwords so we can all have access.

I too agree with the panel. Rotating outside member would be fine by me, but let us settle into our groove before we start the rotating part.

I'm good with the topics. I also like red's suggestion as I thought of something along those line myself as I watched Tim Hasselbeck break down the Top 5 Quarterbacks after Week 2 on SportsCenter (Which was prefaced by that same ranking but with Total QBR as the qualifier...)

And I need to start writing things down. I had a few ideas last night and earlier today about these things that I can not for the life of me think of this second. But trust me, I had them! :lol:

One last topic to say is Heisman Candidates. Maybe include some well-known players and some Dark-horse candidates.

We're going to be discussing more of the how the sports are covered and what the media are covering than the actual sports themselves.

And I know you just want to see if any of us say Teddy Bridgewater... I'm not saying Teddy Bridgewater... (Dammit, I just said Teddy Bridgewater.)

I'm pretty much completely stupid when it comes to the ins and outs of college football. I know more about the entity itself than the actual game-to-game stuff, but like SM said, sports is basically what we talk about (see what I did there?) but with a pretty clear bend towards the coverage aspect.

But I'll never rule it out. We get going on some tangents, for sure.

And I know you just want to see if any of us say Teddy Bridgewater... I'm not saying Teddy Bridgewater... (Dammit, I just said Teddy Bridgewater.)

I got a PM from him asking me who I think is the best sophomore QB in college football. I figured he wanted to see if I would say Braxton Miller. B) Anyway, I agree with my esteemed colleagues on this, talking about Heisman candidates doesn't really fit with what we're trying to do here. If it comes up, great, but I don't think it works too well as a stand alone topic.

We're far more likely to talk about the media culture that surrounds college sports and how that potentially improves/ruins/warps the game and-or the game as an experience.

I'm editing the show up for those who would want to hear a more comprehensive take on what we discussed. Have it posted here in the next 90 minutes or so, if not sooner.

Alrighty, so here's another 15-odd minute collection of excerpts from the test show. In here we talked about pro teams localizing their rosters, the NHL lockout, and the enormity of the NFL.

Stream at soundcloud

Download MP3

I'm pretty much completely stupid when it comes to the ins and outs of college football. I know more about the entity itself than the actual game-to-game stuff, but like SM said, sports is basically what we talk about (see what I did there?) but with a pretty clear bend towards the coverage aspect.

But I'll never rule it out. We get going on some tangents, for sure.

There's definitely a lot of stuff to be said of college football from the media angle. How the BCS system is portrayed in the media, as well as potential biases towards certain teams or conferences. Like CS85, though, I'm not all that familiar with NCAA football, so that would have to be a discussion 'red and SM lead.

Alrighty, so here's another 15-odd minute collection of excerpts from the test show. In here we talked about pro teams localizing their rosters, the NHL lockout, and the enormity of the NFL.

Love the drops and music at the beginning. And an appearance from Chris Berman! Excellent touch.

Also, I have a ton of radio production elements. If you need anything, just let me know. I have hundreds of them. I also have fairly extensive library of production music. We can produce the :censored: out of this thing if we want.

There's definitely a lot of stuff to be said of college football from the media angle. How the BCS system is portrayed in the media, as well as potential biases towards certain teams or conferences. Like CS85, though, I'm not all that familiar with NCAA football, so that would have to be a discussion 'red and SM lead.

You'll do fine. Getting the perspective of someone who isn't a huge college football fan just adds to the mix in my opinion.

And I gotta say it again...we really do sound pretty damned good, gentlemen. I'd listen to this show. B)

Love the drops and music at the beginning. And an appearance from Chris Berman! Excellent touch.

Also, I have a ton of radio production elements. If you need anything, just let me know. I have hundreds of them. I also have fairly extensive library of production music. We can produce the :censored: out of this thing if we want.

I will for sure consult with you. I want to edit/produce a show or two then see where I stand before we start to make it shimmer.

And I gotta say it again...we really do sound pretty damned good, gentlemen. I'd listen to this show.

I'm definitely optimistic! :D

Also I tweeted at you, Infrared. If you haven't gotten the twitter/tumblr going, I'll be happy to get it established and pretty looking tonight.

edit 2:

Just an update on Peter Puck: The thing I was searching for was Scooter the talking baseball who fox debuted in 2004, but Peter Puck DID in fact make a modern comeback.

edit 3: PM'd co-hosts with a gmail account and info.

edit 4: another logo idea, which I'll run with for now.

fLR7D.png

edit 5: tumblr is live: http://basicallysports.tumblr.com/

The email address and password I sent to you guys work as logins for the tumblr and archive.org.

Not exactly clear which way you were going with the title. But I'd have to say "Basically Sports" trumps "Basically A Sports Show" by a mile -- but that's just one man's opinion. B)

Not exactly clear which way you were going with the title. But I'd have to say "Basically Sports" trumps "Basically A Sports Show" by a mile -- but that's just one man's opinion. B)

It's definitely a work in progress.

Right. Pretty much all of this can be re-branded within 2 hours. I just like to amuse myself at work, lol.

Boys sorry I haven't been able to do this, been preoccupied with producing a new podcast and been out with a hernia. Keep me in mind if you need somone.

Boys sorry I haven't been able to do this, been preoccupied with producing a new podcast and been out with a hernia. Keep me in mind if you need somone.

We'll get you in there at some point.