Rochester's new third's

CSSdesigns

Ah, still one of the worst logos ever, now available on three backgrounds.

What the hell are you smoking? Probably some bad shi*. The Americans' logo and uniforms are one of hockey's classics. The Amerks' are the eighth-oldest professional hockey club in North America, behind only the Original Six and the Hershey Bears. So don't you dare denegrate this proud team's logo. Got it Boris or Ivan or whatever your Commie name is?

It's what they're going for. I could see perhaps an updated logo on the third and hear fan reaction from it. But red third, seems fine. Doesn't have any piping, so that works.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

What the hell are you smoking? Probably some bad shi*. The Americans' logo and uniforms are one of hockey's classics. The Amerks' are the eighth-oldest professional hockey club in North America, behind only the Original Six and the Hershey Bears. So don't you dare denegrate this proud team's logo. Got it Boris or Ivan or whatever your Commie name is?

This was completely uncalled for, but considering your past history, not unexpected.

Attack the post, not the poster. If you can't control yourself then don't post.

Lee, a moderator.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

The Americans' logo isn't all it's cracked up to be. That said I see it in the same vein as the Islanders' logo. It's flawed, yes, but given the history behind it nothing else is ever going to be accepted.

Though I think I'm one of the few who actually likes the 1971-72 logo. I wouldn't mind seeing that make a comeback as a shoulder patch.

Given that the logo and uniform design's pretty much here to stay the red alternate's expected, but it does its job well enough. The only thing that bugs me is that it's the only one with the tie-down collar. It would make more sense to put the tie-down collar on the blue and white sweaters, the traditional Americans look, and use the V-neck collar for the new red alternate. Ideally they'd pick one collar design and use it on all three though, considering everything else is consistent.

"Because America!" is the worst justification for anything, ever.

I fully accept that the Amerks logo only works because it's old. It's nice that the new third completes the set, but that's about the only nice thing to say about it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The logo is simply bad design. The fact that the blue text is just thrown on top of the red/white stripes with no color separation is the most glaring issue.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This was completely uncalled for, but considering your past history, not unexpected.

Attack the post, not the poster. If you can't control yourself then don't post.

Lee, a moderator.

Lee, I'm sorry if I offended anyone this morning. But the Amerks uniforms are very dear to me. I worked at the store that supplied the team from 1957-69. I was there from 1967-88. You may not believe this but I helped the trainer/equipment manager design the basic template for the Amerks current uniform. It was in the spring of 1977. The Amerks were then a Bruins farm club and were getting new sweaters and socks for the upcoming 1977-78 season. The trainer/equipment manager wanted a Bruins-style uniform in Rochester colors. So we went with a 100% Nylon Pro Mesh from Stall and Dean. We used an imprinted logo with tackle twill numbers. The Amerks imprinted five-star pattern on the shoulder yokes didn't look right with these sweaters so I suggested that we "borrow" the single-star look of the Houston Aeros of the WHA. So that's what we chose. The uniforms came out great. As to the gentleman that likes the '71-'72 Vancouver-based logo, well that's your right. But to those of us who had to live through those four long years of last place teams and shabby treatment by the Canucks that logo is a symbol of the years that almost cost Rochester the team. There are many old-time fans that still have not forgiven Vancouver for the way they ran the Amerks. They were going to fold the team and sell the franchise to another city in the summer of 1972. Thankfully eight Rochester businessmen bought the franchise, two players (Lynn Zimmerman and some guy named Cherry-whatever happened to him?) and the rest is history. The first thing the new owners did was to restore the shield as the team logo.

I don't know, maybe I'm too close to the situation. I'm like a mother hen defending her chicks. That's why I go off on a tangent when people make remarks about the Amerks uniform that upset me. I know that's your opinion and I should respect it but it's almost like doing it in my house and I let my emotions get the best of me. Frankly the majority of today's hockey uniforms look like they were designed by children for children. I'm an old fogie who harkens back to the simpler days of hockey when you knew the players on sight and you could pronounce their names without having to take a Berlitz course.

So to sum it up I'll keep my emotions in check from now on and just deal with the issue at hand. OK?

PS-Check out my Amerks uniform history at www.amerksboosterclub.com It's in the "Photos-Archives" section and contains lots of photos and other Amerk uniform tidbits.

The only thing the Amerks need to do with the logo is to outline "Americans" or ditch the name over the crest. Otherwise it's a nice simple and clean logo.

You can see the Amerks' original crest in my uniform history page referenced above. It has the team name in White outlined in Black. The team-sweater logo that was introduced for the 1959-60 season is my favorite all-time Amerks' logo. It does not have the team name on it but includes a Black drop-shadow treatment on the right side. The Amerks used drop-shadow in 1959! Are they the first team to do so? I wonder. Although the sans-name crest was used on the sweaters from 1959-69 the version with the team name remained the official logo from 1956-71 when it was replaced by the Vancouver-style logo.

I think the Amerks logo and jerseys are some ways the AHL equivalent to the Canadiens look. It wouldn't knock anyone's socks off it were introduced today, but because it's steeped in a lot of history and tradition it has become timeless.

I like the 3rds... it would look goofy if a traditionalist team like Rochester went with something off the wall. The homage to their classic look was a good, safe choice.

I think the Amerks logo and jerseys are some ways the AHL equivalent to the Canadiens look. It wouldn't knock anyone's socks off it were introduced today, but because it's steeped in a lot of history and tradition it has become timeless.

I like the 3rds... it would look goofy if a traditionalist team like Rochester went with something off the wall. The homage to their classic look was a good, safe choice.

The team does have a connection to the Canadiens. When the Amerks started in '56-'57 they were a co-farm club of the Habs and the Leafs. Sam Pollock of Montreal named them and for the first two seasons they wore Montreal-style Red hose. The first Red sweaters they wore in '59-'60 were Montreal-style minus the chest and hem striping. I asked my old boss Leo Ruby who ordered these sweaters through King-O'Shea of Chicago, a Wilson subsidiary, why they didn't have the team name on the shirts. He told me that there were two reasons. One, it wasn't felt it was needed on the sweater and secondly it would have been quite expensive to do in the two-color White on Black tackle twill used on the official team logo. I watched the Amerks play for ten years wearing just the shield and frankly we never thought about it. One look at the emblem told you, "Here are the Calder Cup Champion Rochester Americans." It became as identifiable with the team as the Habs' "CH" or Detroit's winged wheel.

Dropshadow, or blockshadow? The St. Louis Browns used a blockshadow as early as 1951.

110560984_4e1ac86cb5.jpg

But that's still pretty early.

I was only four-years-old in 1951. It's not surprising I didn't remember the St. Louis Browns. After I saw your post I remembered that the 1946 Cleveland Browns used drop-shadow and also the St. Louis Hawks NBA team from 1957-on. Thanks for the reminder.

Having grown up in a city where the AHL was the only pro sport in town, and Rochester was seemingly always the the team blocking the way to a championship, I grew up hating that shield logo, but I can't help but agree that it's the AHL's equivalent of the C-H. You can point to some mild aesthetic issues, but do you really think that a team with an iconic logo to go batcrap insane with their alternate? This was the realistic option, and it's not bad.

Having grown up in a city where the AHL was the only pro sport in town, and Rochester was seemingly always the the team blocking the way to a championship, I grew up hating that shield logo, but I can't help but agree that it's the AHL's equivalent of the C-H. You can point to some mild aesthetic issues, but do you really think that a team with an iconic logo to go batcrap insane with their alternate? This was the realistic option, and it's not bad.

Sounds like you're from Binghamton. There's a Broome Dusters sweater from 1979-80 shown on the Amerks' uniform history section. Check it out.

• 1 month later...

Archived