2013 World Baseball Classic

dabest13

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All these new teams participating and still they can't revert the sport's Olympic status...

Chinese Taipei really needs a change--they could do so much based on the canton (青天, 白日) of the Taiwan flag:

200px-Flag_of_the_Republic_of_China.svg.png

They can't use that flag, or any variation of it. The People's Republic of China won't allow it.

They can still use the canton of the flag (which ironically is the primary symbol of the KMT or Chinese Nationalist Party)--here are their Olympic and FIFA flags:

200px-Flag_of_Chinese_Taipei_for_Olympic_games.svg.png200px-Chinese_Taipei_Football_Flag_on_FIFA_website.svg.png

The problem is that the KMT is no longer the single legal party in the RoC. If they went with just the canton they would be using the flag of a political party. It would like if a US team decided to represent the entire United States with the flag of either the Democratic or Republican parties.

I don't think that would be a problem, at least compared to possible complaints China might have over seeing the expanded role of the 青天, 白日 as you mentioned. It's different than the US using Dem/Rep flags because the canton on the national flag and all the Chinese Taipei sports flags and is the symbol of the country. It's a unique symbol like Canada's maple leaf and Israel's Star of David. And it already appears in the flag on the side of the hat--they should try to incorporate it into their logo design. It couldn't get much worse than their current logo:

pMLB2-13037548dt.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I hate to be that guy, but I think these new ones all look terrible, LOL. Except maybe Nicaragua. They look like they are batting practice caps created by a high school athletic director for a summer camp in 1993. Israel's definitely. Great Britain? Totally illegible.

I get the feeling that many of the logos fore the non-traditional baseball countries were designed in house by MLB or New Era--anyone know the story behind these?

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

I hate to be that guy, but I think these new ones all look terrible, LOL. Except maybe Nicaragua. They look like they are batting practice caps created by a high school athletic director for a summer camp in 1993. Israel's definitely. Great Britain? Totally illegible.

I get the feeling that many of the logos fore the non-traditional baseball countries were designed in house by MLB or New Era--anyone know the story behind these?

I feel like their national baseball governing boards designed them most likely. The probably look generic because many of those teams look for the "classic" baseball design that you might see in the US. Sort of like what US soccer teams do, trying to emulate European soccer teams.

Strange Brazil's isn't Yellow though...

Totally unrelated to that, does anyone know if/when the qualifiers will be televised?

Anubis.png

I feel like their national baseball governing boards designed them most likely. The probably look generic because many of those teams look for the "classic" baseball design that you might see in the US. Sort of like what US soccer teams do, trying to emulate European soccer teams.

Strange Brazil's isn't Yellow though...

Totally unrelated to that, does anyone know if/when the qualifiers will be televised?

The final game of the Jupiter qualifier is scheduled for MLB Network, but that's all I've seen unfortunately.

I like the F hat for france, but I agree a rooster would've been cool.... also a variation of the swinging lion for GB would have been nice to see in my opinion:

gb_baseball_logo.jpg

maybe the Philippines could have implemented the Sun/Star aspect of their flag as well:

dp-logo3d.gif

Also, I can't help but think Colombia looks off with no Yellow in their hat, but like Brazil if the uniform heavy on yellow elsewhere it may look alright.

Also, I hate how plain Cuba's "C" is..... what happened to this version with the star in it?:

pMLB2-2400242dt.jpg

USMNT-1.png

For the most part, I agree... at lot of these really are just the country's initial in a stock font. The only ones that really stand out to me are Australia, China and the US.

Have to pick up a Brazil, Israel, France and UK. Maybe even a New Zealand, in addition to my Italy, US, Canada and Australia caps.

Really wish the German one was better.

The South Africa and Mexico designs are really underrated IMO.

spacer.png

In New York, I see plenty of Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic hats, both in stores and on people walking around. I found the Italy hat in a store in upper Manhattan, around 145th St., and I picked it up. Like the rest of the hats, that hat's simple design appeals to me. But, the fact that the initial on the hat does not match the script on the jersey is a flaw, in my estimation. (Though, in a way, it follows the Dodgers' template of a serif font on the hat, with cursive on the jersey.)

I found out about the participation of Panama and the Phillipines when I saw their hats in a store in WAY-upper Manhattan, on Dyckman St. (http://4ucaps.com) And I am pleased to see that even more countries are participating. I really like the Great Britain hat best amongst the new ones (I will buy one if I see it in a store in my size). And I like the China hat best amongst the existing ones; also, it's great that that hat does match the jersey script.

OhMvpmk3.jpg

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

I like the France, Israel and Spain logos because they have something unique about them. All the other logos are bit too generic for me.

I don't quite understand why they just slap the country's initial on a hat. If they want to go for a classic feel, then why do they choose a modern font?

New Zealand should go with the silver fern, Great Britain could have incorporated the lion, etc.

Also, as a baseball fan, I'm sad to see that the US and Canada have the worst logos of all their national sports bodies. If you look at US Soccer, USA Hockey, USA Basketball, Canada Soccer, Hockey Canada and Canada Basketball, you have a series of very sharp logos that you can be proud of. The baseball ones are stuck in the 90s and are waaay overdue for an update.

5737a3a4-1de5-426d-a5eb-067469bdd6e3.jpg

Archived