USA TODAY to get redesign sept 14th

BadSeed84

back1x-large.jpg

-Refers to the President as a "she"

-Queen Diana (as others have pointed out)

-Switzerland Terrorists - because you know, the Swiss are always neutral

-Cubs win the World Series

-In a 5-game sweep?

- 3 billion readers everyday. They were so optimistic newspapers would be even more popular in the future.

- 3 Minute mile?

- Cholesterol cures cancer?

oBIgzrL.png

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

back1x-large.jpg

-In a 5-game sweep?

- 3 billion readers everyday. They were so optimistic newspapers would be even more popular in the future.

- 3 Minute mile?

Anyone wanna form a gang called The Thumb Bandits? At least we can make sure some part of this becomes reality.

back1x-large.jpg

-In a 5-game sweep?

- 3 Minute mile?

-The Cubs win the World Series over Miami?

-The Cubs win the World Series?

-The Cubs win?

-The Cubs?

mcbqza.jpg

back1x-large.jpg

-In a 5-game sweep?

- 3 Minute mile?

-The Cubs win the World Series over Miami?

-The Cubs win the World Series?

-The Cubs win?

-The Cubs?

What's hilarious is when Back to the Future came out, there WAS NO baseball club in Miami. Now we've got the Miami (Florida) Marlins, so it's SOMEWHAT plausible.

We'd just need one of them to move out of the NL since the American League generally likes a spot in the Series.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

this is pretty good. i like the application of it acros each page.

the logo (circle) dosent need to "stand on its own" because it never will.

The logo was on its own on the front page of the paper the very first day?

application. you see that paper and are you going to confuse it with another? its not going to be a blue dot on a white billboard or anything like that

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

It appears that the circle is used as a space for pictograms/graphics that relate to the front-page story of each section:

usa-today-paper.jpg

sportslife.gif

Paperjp2-popup.jpg

I love it. Simple, bold, brash... the typography is excellent, the layout is a breath of fresh air. This really stands out and makes USA Today look like an upscale news operation, instead of just a quick hotel bathroom read.

Spot on commentary.

Seeing it in person, I like how the text looks with the date.

I just feel like if they had the continents in the circle, it would look better like this.

usatodayconcept.png

I thought that, too. Makes the most sense to me, though I think using the circle as an allusion to the planet in the old logo is perfectly fine.

Brand New gives me a greater appreciation for USA Today's rebrand.

I agree. I don't agree with Armin very often, at least not enthusiastically, but he gave an excellent one today.

Blah, blah...no lowercase letters, but you still have this bloody "Generic Font and Shape" rebrand. This is now an epidemic. <_<

Sometimes you have to think about how bad it could have gone to realize how good something is. We could be looking at that Back to the Future masthead. Basically, I think the clean, versatile, minimalist look is better than a lot of the alternatives.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

So I'm just seeing this now - I love it. The circle in the same spot on the first page of each section is great, as well as having the date real big right next to it.

A couple things though:

1. The date format is kinda "fadish", meaning that it's "cool" right now to use dots in dates and phone numbers, but that'll wear off eventually. Also, since Y2K, I'm not used to seeing 2012 expressed as just 12. Hope that doesn't become common again.

2. They really have to come up with a new graphic every day? I'm assuming that some will be reused, but what if there's just a slow news day - will there ever be just a plain circle, or a globe? It would stand to reason that tehre would need to be a "default".

3. I like the graphics in teh circle better than real pictures. For example, that Tim Tebow in the circle doesn't look as good to me as a white silhouette of a player with a 15 on him would look.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So I'm just seeing this now - I love it. The circle in the same spot on the first page of each section is great, as well as having the date real big right next to it.

A couple things though:

1. The date format is kinda "fadish", meaning that it's "cool" right now to use dots in dates and phone numbers, but that'll wear off eventually. Also, since Y2K, I'm not used to seeing 2012 expressed as just 12. Hope that doesn't become common again.

2. They really have to come up with a new graphic every day? I'm assuming that some will be reused, but what if there's just a slow news day - will there ever be just a plain circle, or a globe? It would stand to reason that tehre would need to be a "default".

3. I like the graphics in teh circle better than real pictures. For example, that Tim Tebow in the circle doesn't look as good to me as a white silhouette of a player with a 15 on him would look.

According to ea sports 2006 was the first year to refer to as just 06.

Madden06.jpg

Echo everyone else about the infographic being cool. Because, well, it is.

I don't find see the date being represented as "12" being weird at all. When someone asks me what year something was, I always say "I graduated high school in oh-five" or "that song came out around ninety-eight." I've written the year as just two digits ever since I can remember. We're not going to confuse "12" with 1912 or any other __12.

And yes, the "dot" thing is very fad-ish. It's done with dates and phone numbers, and I kinda don't like it. Prior to a few years ago, I don't remember ever seeing anyone put phone numbers as 555.867.5309. I still prefer the 555-867-5309. Even worse is the jumble of 5558675309.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I'm confused... I thought we decided with the Pepsi thing, that if you have a bunch of logos for the same thing, then you really have none? I just don't see how this builds their brand. Their actual logo is just a damn circle.

Archived