Phillies Concept Stadium

South of South Street

First Post Ever.

I am an Architect and I live in Philadelphia. I have always thought that the Phils missed the mark when they decided to build Citizens Bank Park next to the Vet. After telling myself enough times to get over it I decided to not get over it and design my own fantasy stadium. After sitting on it for a while and finding this forum I figured if anybody was going to thumbs up or thumbs down it, it should be this board. So here goes.

The location (for those familiar with Philadelphia) is on the Delaware River on the east side of Delaware Ave. and Spring Garden Street. The current empty lot would need some landfill, but it has a great view of the Ben Franklin Bridge and the outfield can still see Center City. Its close to 95, 676, and New Jersey. The Spring Garden Subway stop is one block away. I went with the old 1930's P logo and went sponsor crazy.

I apoligize if the links dont work, it is my first post.

http://i1078.photobu...ch/1b32c0ca.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...ch/c36a8473.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...ch/50becedf.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...ch/8b56b1f7.jpg

http://i1078.photobu...ch/e1cdf202.jpg

Thanks,

South of South Street

Wow, this is a really impressive design. It's extremely well-done and well thought out and you definitely put a lot of work into this. My one suggestion would be to add something in center field where it's currently pretty empty, either some seating or a deck with restaurants and stores similar to what the Mets have in right-center field at Citi Field with Shea Bridge. Overall, great work and looking forward to seeing more from you!

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."

Cohenj.png

What I Love.

The location of the stadium. I know the area and ever since they started re developing the Delaware waterfront, I thought a baseball stadium would be a wonderful idea.

The green scaffolding like outfield structure with the brick building reminds me perfectly of piers

Seeing the Ben Franklin Bridge is so cool

Old 30s P works with the stadium better than the current one, so great design decision there

Left field stands

The clock is really cool

What you should change

Center field area. It's really boring especially compared to the Bank. I would suggest having a short fence like the one at the Bank with Ivy and Bushes behind it. Then add something like Ashburn Alley behind Center Right field because it kind of seems dead behind the wall like Shea.

Wow, this is amazing! Im kind of an architecture geek as well as a logo geek, so I really enjoyed this concept. I like the sort of mesh with modern and traditional architecture. I think that you could improve the area around the stadium by adding some more landscaping and maybe some restaurants or retail to surround it. Also, I think that keeping the liberty bell would be a nice touch.

Overall, this a really big improvement over their current stadium, and the rendering looks fantastic, very professional.

spacer.png

Yes, there is a Camden Yards reference in there (because everyone loves Camden Yards). The reference is, however, more of an exteral piece to recreate the old pier building that is long gone. In addition the building is not visible from the seats. I also didn't want the "building" portion to wrap the outside from 1st base to 3rd like most of the 90-00's stadiums. But yes it is a sort of stadium burrito with a few new ingredients.

It looks like too much of a ripoff of other stadiums in my opinion. It's Camden Yards, PNC Park, and Pac Bell all mixed in one.

The presentation looks great though. That's just my assessment if this was a real stadium.

Center Field was a tough one. I really want people to see the Bridge and as I put more stuff out there, you saw less and less of the bridge (even if the "stuff" was low). It became a view thing. To accomodate for that I built the glass box in left center (with the clock) as a restaurant with a public roof deck so you can a great perspective of the game, down the river and of the city/bridge. In reality that "outfield walk" could be a food heaven and be open every day because of its location.

What I Love.

The location of the stadium. I know the area and ever since they started re developing the Delaware waterfront, I thought a baseball stadium would be a wonderful idea.

The green scaffolding like outfield structure with the brick building reminds me perfectly of piers

Old 30s P works with the stadium better than the current one, so great design decision there

Left field stands

The clock is really cool

What you should change

Center field area. It's really boring especially compared to the Bank. I would suggest having a short fence like the one at the Bank with Ivy and Bushes behind it. Then add something like Ashburn Alley behind Center Right field because it kind of seems dead behind the wall like Shea.

Thanks. Did you pick up on the Triumphal Arch at the entry?

Wow, this is amazing! Im kind of an architecture geek as well as a logo geek, so I really enjoyed this concept. I like the sort of mesh with modern and traditional architecture. I think that you could improve the area around the stadium by adding some more landscaping and maybe some restaurants or retail to surround it. Also, I think that keeping the liberty bell would be a nice touch.

Overall, this a really big improvement over their current stadium, and the rendering looks fantastic, very professional.

I know the Phillies wanted to move to Center City (which in my opinion is the one nice section of Philadelphia) as this stadium is proposing but couldn't the money from the city who wanted to keep them in the south side of the city.

You might need a little more parking in the area, even though the infrastructure is there, but the stadium itself looks very nice. The design fits very well into the surrounding area and would go with the riverside theme.

It looks you basically copied B&O warehouse to use as the facade along the third base line, but I see what your going for and like I said I think it would work very well as a design. The typeface gives it a very unique look as well. The use of the P is very nice. Its the main thing that draws your eye in, but at the same time it's not overdone. I could imagine it with the current Phillies P and typeface, but I don't think it would work as well.

My favorite part is the arch at main entrance. I've never seen something like that with a major league stadium and would love to see a team try it.

The entry plaza is where it shines. Everything else is good (I would say a bit too safe design wise) but that entry is very well done. I would try something where the feeling of the entry (through the triumphal arch) is extended into the stadium. What programs are you using?

Cheap plug alert: My Masters thesis is in the General Design forum and since you are in the profession as well I'd like to get your opinion on it.

Very well done, I like citizens bank inside the park but I totally agree a location like you've chosen would've been a way better place to put the new field.

Entry way is great, and love the old script. Perfect world probably would prefer a different sponsor for the stadium but that doesnt take away from your design. What is the white structure to the right of the video board? Chickie's & Pete's?

Needs more liberty bell :D

Center Field was a tough one. I really want people to see the Bridge and as I put more stuff out there, you saw less and less of the bridge (even if the "stuff" was low). It became a view thing. To accomodate for that I built the glass box in left center (with the clock) as a restaurant with a public roof deck so you can a great perspective of the game, down the river and of the city/bridge. In reality that "outfield walk" could be a food heaven and be open every day because of its location.

What I Love.

Left field stands

The clock is really cool

What you should change

Ok, so just lower the wall to the height of the wall in left field and then stick some ivy on the brick wall beyond it. That shouldn't interfere with the view. Also, if you're going to use the Liberty Bell, use a design of the ball that fits in with the styled P you have. Becuase the current bell wouldn't fit with the stadium.

Wow, the presentation looks terrible...

... said NO ONE EVER. Holy Shît, dood. Can I request you help me on some of my stadium concepts because, damn...

I love it. Great mix of local inspiration and modern ball park amenities. I would love to see a satellite shot showing the park layout with the surrounding are visible to see if you've thought about parking or neighborhood improvements. How do people get to games (never been to Phlipadelphia)? Is there enough public trans or do you need to create parking lots/tailgate fields?

Great shît.

Ive seen the Northwestern Stadium. It was the thing that made me sure that this forum was the place to show my ideas. Send me a message and I am sure I can help you out.

Wow, the presentation looks terrible...

... said NO ONE EVER. Holy Shît, dood. Can I request you help me on some of my stadium concepts because, damn...

I love it. Great mix of local inspiration and modern ball park amenities. I would love to see a satellite shot showing the park layout with the surrounding are visible to see if you've thought about parking or neighborhood improvements. How do people get to games (never been to Phlipadelphia)? Is there enough public trans or do you need to create parking lots/tailgate fields?

Great shît.

Archived