Ottawa RedBlacks to Return CFL to Canadian Capital City

officeglenn

Ok So Ottawa is returning to the CFL. Jeff Hunt, one of the owners of the franchise has said that the team will not be called the Rough Riders eventhough it is the fan favorite. Another suggestion is to keep the Renegades although most fans feel that the nickname should not be used because of the failure of the last franchise that used it. Another suggestion was the Riflemen or Rifles. Most fans agree that the uniforms/helmet of the Rough Riders should be used, and the logo of the Riders on their helmet was a capital "R". So I was wondering what nickname starting with R would be most fitting? Here are some names I looked up and listed:

_

_Redcoats

_Rebels

_Raptors

_Royals or Regals

_Rascals

_Rogues

_Ramblers

_Rustlers

_Rhinos

_Rockets

_Roosters

_Roughnecks

_Rowdies

_Raiders

_Revolvers - probably not a popular choice, because named after a gun but hey, if Rifles can be suggestion why not?

_

_Any suggestions? or add yours..

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ottawa Rebels and Ottawa Roughnecks both have a nice ring to it. Ottawa Rangers kinda sounds good, too.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Rebels, Rogues, and Revolution don't work for a team in the seat of the federal government, especially the government of a country that, relative to the neighbors, wasn't all that revolutionary, rogue, nor rebellious.

_

_I kinda like Riflemen, actually.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If it has to be an "R" name, I like Rogues and Rhinos already listed plus I would add Rapiers (a type of sword), Regulars (as in army regulars) and River Jacks (which are something linked to Ottawa's river and logging history)

If I could step away from the "R" words, I might suggest names such as Battalion, Centurions, Corsairs, Marauders, Sentries, Sentinels, Stags (or Harts, someone else on here made an awesome football identitiy for a ficticious Canadian football team that would be damn perfect for Ottawa).

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I don't see why they want to go with an R name, considering they've all failed miserably at some point, but of those suggested, I definitely like Riflemen the best. It pays homage to our military and isn't over used, like for instance Royals, Roughnecks, Rockets, Rebels and Raiders. Then again, maybe Revolvers would be more appropriate, since it keeps the weaponry aspect, while also addressing the revolving door of teams the City has experienced.

It's too bad that Rough Riders can't be used. I presume that this is because Hunt & Co. don't own the rights and aren't willing to shell out for them, as well as the fact that Saskatchewan would probably object.

The Rough Riders name has a lot of tradition behind it, but unfortunately people have lost sight of the proud history and tend to associate the name with the trainwreck of a team that Ottawa became in the late 80s and 90s. Also, people (especially in Ontario) are woefully ignorant of CFL history and tend to default to the stock punchline response of "WTF TWO OUT OF NINE TEAMS WITH THE SAME NAME LOL" without realizing that the names are, in fact, different, with different meanings and the two teams were originally in different leagues before the modern CFL was established in the 1950s. (Similar to the Norfolk Admirals/Milwaukee Admirals dynamic in the AHL.)

That being said, I don't know why the Ottawa club should limit itself to "R" names. Even if they decided to go retro with a big "R" on the helmet, all it will do is remind people of the Rough Riders. Either go full on retro with the Rough Riders name or go in a different direction entirely, I'd say. Given the current popularity of military themes in Canada, I could see there being some sort of army-related name tying into some Ottawa-affiliated battalion or somesuch.

One question though: would Ottawa go with their traditional black, white and red colours now that Calgary has more or less co-opted them? I guess they could go WAY back and do the red, gold and blue combo (which they rehashed in 1994 and 1995), or pick another set of colours that isn't currently used in the CFL.

I would love to see the "Red Coats", with red, white, black, blue, and gold as the team's colours. Like the New England Patriots of the CFL.

v2_c4_s20_ss02_01.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Redcoats and Regulars are truly fantastic ideas. That kind of Canadian patriotism is something we don't really see south of the border, and in fact, I think it would be a shame for it to not be used on a team that would play American teams. Rivalries would become natural.

If there's ever an NFL team in Toronto, I'm campaigning for one of those names. Redcoats vs Patriots would be fantastically fun.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Redcoats and Regulars are truly fantastic ideas. That kind of Canadian patriotism is something we don't really see south of the border, and in fact, I think it would be a shame for it to not be used on a team that would play American teams. Rivalries would become natural.

If there's ever an NFL team in Toronto, I'm campaigning for one of those names. Redcoats vs Patriots would be fantastically fun.

...and the players not starting each week would be the Irregulars!

I can haz sig?

...and the players not starting each week would be the Irregulars!

Haaaaa! I see what you did there!

lol and the amount of jokes is why Redcoats > Regulars haha

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

How about Ottawa Ramblers?!

Actually sounds fantastic.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It's too bad that Rough Riders can't be used. I presume that this is because Hunt & Co. don't own the rights and aren't willing to shell out for them, as well as the fact that Saskatchewan would probably object.

The Rough Riders name has a lot of tradition behind it, but unfortunately people have lost sight of the proud history and tend to associate the name with the trainwreck of a team that Ottawa became in the late 80s and 90s. Also, people (especially in Ontario) are woefully ignorant of CFL history and tend to default to the stock punchline response of "WTF TWO OUT OF NINE TEAMS WITH THE SAME NAME LOL" without realizing that the names are, in fact, different, with different meanings and the two teams were originally in different leagues before the modern CFL was established in the 1950s. (Similar to the Norfolk Admirals/Milwaukee Admirals dynamic in the AHL.)

That being said, I don't know why the Ottawa club should limit itself to "R" names. Even if they decided to go retro with a big "R" on the helmet, all it will do is remind people of the Rough Riders. Either go full on retro with the Rough Riders name or go in a different direction entirely, I'd say. Given the current popularity of military themes in Canada, I could see there being some sort of army-related name tying into some Ottawa-affiliated battalion or somesuch.

One question though: would Ottawa go with their traditional black, white and red colours now that Calgary has more or less co-opted them? I guess they could go WAY back and do the red, gold and blue combo (which they rehashed in 1994 and 1995), or pick another set of colours that isn't currently used in the CFL.

I thought that if they went with the R logo, not that the team IS going use it. But it would be nice if they stick with the red, white & black color scheme, in the addition to the R logo. But on the other hand the red, gold and blue combo would do quite nicely too.

P.S.The nicknames in the list are just ones I came up with starting with R, not my personal suggestions...

Archived