2012-13 NBA Season Thread

Cujo

With the NBA presason just a week away, I figured it was time to fire up the season thread.

The league announced a new anti-flopping campaign today, and will now fine players who fly all over the court in an attempt the draw a foul. It'll be interesting to see how many fines are handed out to players who take a charge, when essentially ALL players on the recieving end of a charge is guilty of a total dive.

6uXNWAo.png

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to ask: Are fines and potential suspentions the way to go with this 'flopping' problem?

It seems like that, since a lot of the players have large amounts of cash, it would be easy to deal with the potential fine that comes from flopping and basically acting like a fish out of water.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I have to ask: Are fines and potential suspentions the way to go with this 'flopping' problem?

It seems like that, since a lot of the players have large amounts of cash, it would be easy to deal with the potential fine that comes from flopping and basically acting like a fish out of water.

No matter how much the players make, they don't want to give the money up. Nevertheless, I don't feel that fines and suspensions are the way to go. I am thinking more in line of technical fouls...just enforce it on the floor.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Due to his anxiety disorder, Rockets rookie Royce White plans to bus it as much as he can.

From the Houston Chronicle blog:

White has battled Generalized Anxiety Disorder in which concerns about an issue, such as his fear of flying, can often spread to a more general and increasing anxiety on unrelated matters. He has suffered from panic attacks and obsessive compulsive tendencies. Uncertainty can lead to dramatic increases in symptoms but in each case, he can treat the disorder by heading off anxiety.

White said he will supply the bus he will use for much of the season’s travel, calling overnight trips of up to nine hours “no problem at all.”

The NBA requires that teams travel the day before games when not playing on consecutive days, but does not specify that teams must fly when traveling certain distances. By leaving immediately after practices and games, White said he can keep his normal sleeping habits which is part of the treatment for his disorder and still arrive in most cities before the next day’s practice or shootaround.

He said that his delay in reporting for training camp was to formulate and formalize his plan with the Rockets, calling his willingness to put off more substantive discussions with the team until shortly before the start of camp is part of dealing with the illness.

“One of the things that I know is this is my responsibility,” White said. “I had a letdown. In my defense, these things are unprecedented. To travel by way of bus or doing some of the things I did at Iowa State to head off anxiety, it was indicated to me through the draft process, sometimes in a joking way, that most teams wouldn’t allow that."

"My health is actually great right now. I want to keep it that way. The unknown of the season or the schedule can decrease that health. We don’t need something negative to happen. A lot of guys don’t have a stance to attack mental illness on the front end. Some don’t know they have it until something happens. The negative consequences can come. It’s just too risky."

This is going to be so hard to pull off. Some company will probably sponsor this like the Madden Cruiser was. Then again, when Tony Kornheiser had a RV for MNF it did not get sponsored.

Due to his anxiety disorder, Rockets rookie Royce White plans to bus it as much as he can.

From the Houston Chronicle blog:

White has battled Generalized Anxiety Disorder in which concerns about an issue, such as his fear of flying, can often spread to a more general and increasing anxiety on unrelated matters. He has suffered from panic attacks and obsessive compulsive tendencies. Uncertainty can lead to dramatic increases in symptoms but in each case, he can treat the disorder by heading off anxiety.

White said he will supply the bus he will use for much of the season’s travel, calling overnight trips of up to nine hours “no problem at all.”

The NBA requires that teams travel the day before games when not playing on consecutive days, but does not specify that teams must fly when traveling certain distances. By leaving immediately after practices and games, White said he can keep his normal sleeping habits which is part of the treatment for his disorder and still arrive in most cities before the next day’s practice or shootaround.

He said that his delay in reporting for training camp was to formulate and formalize his plan with the Rockets, calling his willingness to put off more substantive discussions with the team until shortly before the start of camp is part of dealing with the illness.

“One of the things that I know is this is my responsibility,” White said. “I had a letdown. In my defense, these things are unprecedented. To travel by way of bus or doing some of the things I did at Iowa State to head off anxiety, it was indicated to me through the draft process, sometimes in a joking way, that most teams wouldn’t allow that."

"My health is actually great right now. I want to keep it that way. The unknown of the season or the schedule can decrease that health. We don’t need something negative to happen. A lot of guys don’t have a stance to attack mental illness on the front end. Some don’t know they have it until something happens. The negative consequences can come. It’s just too risky."

This is going to be so hard to pull off. Some company will probably sponsor this like the Madden Cruiser was. Then again, when Tony Kornheiser had a RV for MNF it did not get sponsored.

:( Poor guy. I hope he succeeds in the NBA.

The Bulls will win about 45 games but accomplish nothing in the playoffs. This is more or less what has happened for the last eight years, so I'm not really going off the board with this prediction, and it won't stop me from enjoying individual games on lonely winter evenings, but it's just another lost year.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Prediction time:

EAST

1. Miami

2. Indiana

3. Boston

4. Chicago

5. Philadelphia

6. Milwaukee

7. Brooklyn

8. New York

9. Detroit

10. Cleveland

11. Atlanta

12. Toronto

13. Washington

14. Orlando

15. Charlotte

East Finals- Miami over Boston

WEST

1. San Antonio

2. Denver

3. LA Lakers

4. OKC

5. LA Clippers

6. Minnesota

7. Dallas

8. Golden State

9. Memphis

10. Utah

11. Portland

12. Phoenix

13. Houston

14. Sacramento

15. New Orleans

WEST FINALS- LA Lakers over San Antonio

NBA FINALS- LA Lakers over Miami

MVP- Lebron James

DPOY- Dwight Howard

ROY- Anthony Davis

COY- George Karl

After a couple years of almost equality to the west, the East sucks again. Wow, after the 3 seed, they don't have 1 team that could beat the 8th west seed.

sig.png

You heard it here first

Eastern Conference Finals

Miami Heat over Brooklyn Nets

I could see Miami in the ECF again.. Hell, they could repeat again.

Brooklyn? That's a stretch to me, because all of the talent they added in the offseason needs to gel and become a cohesive unit. I have a hard time buying that right now. A playoff team, though? Yeah... Brooklyn is a playoff caliber team. But to each the ECF in their first year in Brooklyn? Not likely.

EAST:

1. Miami

2. Indiana

3. Boston

4. Brooklyn

5. Philadelphia

6. Chicago

7. Milwaukee

8. New York

East Finals: Miami over Indiana

WEST:

1. San Antonio

2. OKC

3. LA Clippers

4. LA Lakers

5. Denver

6. Dallas

7. Memphis

8. Utah

West Finals: San Antonio over LA Clippers

FINALS: Miami over San Antonio

MVP: LeBron James

DPOY: Tyson Chandler

ROY: Bradley Beal

COY: Gregg Popovich

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I know it's just preseason, but DeAndre Jordan looks like he's finally starting to become a quality center in this league. He dropped 18 and 9 on Miami tonight.

So who is to be complimented for this? DeAndre or your second whipping post, Vinny del Negro?

If Jordan fails to "drop" that every night, who is to blame? Player or coach?

I know it's just preseason, but DeAndre Jordan looks like he's finally starting to become a quality center in this league. He dropped 18 and 9 on Miami tonight.

So who is to be complimented for this? DeAndre or your second whipping post, Vinny del Negro?

If Jordan fails to "drop" that every night, who is to blame? Player or coach?

Norv Turner

It's never that the player isn't good, there's always someone to blame. He freaking picked the Clippers to finish second in the west, ahead of the Lakers? After that PRESEASON performance why not

The Heat essentially have a free pass to the finals.

Agreed. Unless the Sixers or Pacers make huge strides (and/or the Celtics continue to troll the East by being a fringe elite team), nobody in the East is even close to the Heat. The only team I thought could have a shot was the Bulls, but obviously they'll be without Rose for the majority of the season & they've gone from having the best bench in the NBA to one of the worst. If the Heat can avoid a major injury problem, they'll probably walk right back to the Finals. Seriously, if they avoid an injury crisis yet still miss the Finals, it'll be one of the biggest failures in NBA history. The only teams with a shot at dethroning the champs are currently playing on the left coast.

West:

1. Oklahoma City Thunder (61-21)

2. Los Angeles Lakers (59-23)

3. San Antonio Spurs (57-25)

4. Los Angeles Clippers (55-27)

5. Denver Nuggets (54-28)

6. Memphis Grizzlies (49-33)

7. Utah Jazz (48-34)

8. Golden State Warriors (46-36)

West Finals: Lakers over Thunder

East:

1. Miami Heat (63-19)

2. Indiana Pacers (53-29)

3. Philadelphia 76ers (50-32)

4. Boston Celtics (50-32)

5. New York Knicks (47-35)

6. Chicago Bulls (46-36)

7. Milwaukee Bucks (45-37)

8. Brooklyn Nets (43-39)

East Finals: Heat over 76ers

NBA Finals: Heat over Lakers

I know the Lakers reloaded, but it'll take at least one season to completely gel. Lakers will win at least one title within the next two seasons.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived