2012-13 NBA Season Thread

Cujo

Vinny's terrible, but keeping him has all been part of trying to keep Paul. When the plan is basically "let Chris Paul run the whole organization" you should know you're in trouble. As good as he is, sucking up to him to convince him to stay will not work. Willie Green was only signed because Paul liked him as a teammate in New Orleans!

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sign the "Get Well Out Soon" e-card for Andrew Bynum. Goal is 16 million signatures (live or electronic) - one for every dollar he stole.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/03/20/sign-the-wip-morning-show-andrew-bynum-sympathy-e-card/

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Most gallingly, despite how Vinny claims to stress perimeter defense during practice, the Clippers are still the worst team I've ever seen at guarding the three.

Vinny's idea of stressing perimeter defense is to shout "when you're defending the perimeter, you can't give up! Energy, guys! Energy!"

Shaw or SVG can't come soon enough.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sign the "Get Well Out Soon" e-card for Andrew Bynum. Goal is 16 million signatures (live or electronic) - one for every dollar he stole.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2013/03/20/sign-the-wip-morning-show-andrew-bynum-sympathy-e-card/

Bynum da bum

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Vinny's terrible, but keeping him has all been part of trying to keep Paul. When the plan is basically "let Chris Paul run the whole organization" you should know you're in trouble. As good as he is, sucking up to him to convince him to stay will not work. Willie Green was only signed because Paul liked him as a teammate in New Orleans!

To be fair, that's just the reality of the NBA in general. When a team has a superstar who isn't locked in to a long-term contract, they have to bend over backwards and let them call all the shots in an attempt to convince them to stay. Personally, I think it's ridiculous, but it has to be done.

From my understanding, CP3 basically gets to decide whether Vinny stays or goes this summer. Considering how badly CP3 wants a ring, Vinny might as well get his bags packed now.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

You can try to keep a player happy, but ceding control of a franchise to a player isn't the way to do it. The Clips should have established themselves as a new, competent team that can make decisions for itself, and showed Paul that they're going to build around him, but not necessarily cater to his every whim and desire. It didn't work with Cleveland and Lebron. It isn't working now.

These flaws the Clippers are in (along with the Chicken Nuggets' surgence) are why I never took them seriously to be championship contenders. They play too much like a high school varsity team and not like a quality NBA team. It's all about lob this, and dunk that, and offense this, and YouTube that.

The fact is that these Clips never learned how to play full, cohesion basketball, and it all falls on the coach, Del Negro. Staring from when Blake recovered from his yearlong injury in 2009, he's had three seasons to harness the team's potential, and all he's done is basically "let the stars be the stars and the team will follow." Instead, the same defensive flaws have always popped-up at this time. They'll either get killed by the Spurs' savage pick-and-roll game, or OKC's perimeter shooting, or Denver's offensive rebounding. Either way, the whole "let Blake and CP3 run the game" philosophy of VDG is flawed for regular season performance only, and hopefully, someone else comes in next year, and shows the Clippers the other dimension of true winning basketball (actual defense).

You can try to keep a player happy, but ceding control of a franchise to a player isn't the way to do it. The Clips should have established themselves as a new, competent team that can make decisions for itself, and showed Paul that they're going to build around him, but not necessarily cater to his every whim and desire. It didn't work with Cleveland and LeBron. It isn't working now.

You can say it's working with him in Miami now. Usually, it follows the format of "LeBron starts, then the bench performs in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, then Spolestra lets LeBron playmake the 4th quarter plays, with the occasional LeBron takeover with less than 2 minutes."

Well who are the three teams that have given the Clippers the biggest fits so far this year?

Denver, Golden State and OKC. Combined record against those teams 2-8. What do all of these teams have in common? They're all heavy transition offense half court oriented teams. You run a fast break against those teams it better be perfect or you will leave guards and swing men open on the other side floor and looking at who's been the players that have consistently lit the Clippers up in those games its been guards or swing men. Steph Curry, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Ty Lawson all consistently playing at or above their averages against the Clippers.

I don't know if that's due to a lack of defense or bad passing on the offense end which in turn is leading to those guys getting open in transition on the offensive end. Its probably a little bit of both. Clippers get virtually no production passing wise out of the 2 guard position, and its still pretty much all on Chris Paul to be their perimeter defense just like it was last year. A little bit more help with Bledsoe, but how often are they both on the floor at the same time?

What gets me is I remember posting last year that the Clippers should go out and get a more defensive oriented shooting guard to give Chris Paul help. What do they do? They sign a pure scorer in Jamal Crawford to fill the void. Yeah he gives you more scoring, but doesn't help you move the ball or play defense.

I don't know. Still think Indiana and possibly San Antonio could give them problems, but the way they are playing right now, nobody's beating them.

Ray Allen is their fourth scoring option. Think about that for a minute. Someone with over 20,000 points for his career is the fourth guy you worry about defensively.

If they win it all this year they are going to down as one of the greatest teams in the NBA history. 95-96 Bulls, 71-72 Lakers, 69-70 Knicks, 85-86 Celtics, 99-00 Lakers, 70-71 Bucks, 98-99 Spurs. Those are the kinds of teams they will be measured against. All of those teams had multiple Hall of Famers near or at their peaks just like this Heat team does.

The only weakness in this Heat team I see is they still don't have a true point guard. But when you have guys like LeBron, DWade and Ray Allen all in the backcourt that are so good at creating their own shot and who themselves aren't very selfish it almost doesn't matter.

The Raptors lost to the BOBCATS?

I give up.

That's like 2 girls 1 cup only there's no girls and the cup is the city of Charlotte

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Wizards beat the Lakers in LA last night. Totally made my night.

When John Wall is in the lineup as he was last night, the Wizards are 20-15. If he was healthy all year they might very well be a playoff team.

Without him 5-28. They are just a completely different team with him in the lineup.

Archived