2012-13 NBA Season Thread

Cujo

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, Jay-Z is basically the guy who bought a Green Bay Packers stock certificate and started calling himself An Owner, except this time the team said "okay, here's your office!"

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Apparently, Jay-Z has begun the process of selling his .067 % stake in the New Jersey Nets so that his planned Roc Nation Sports agency can represent NBA players.

Haha, Jay-Z is basically the guy who bought a Green Bay Packers stock certificate and started calling himself An Owner, except this time the team said "okay, here's your office!"

After he had so much influence in their branding he is just going to bolt and leave.

What loyalty to your borough Jay

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

Jay-Z was basically there as little more than a human prop so that Bruce Ratner and Mikhail Prokhorov could run roughshod over the neighborhood in creating an engine of upmarket commerce with the tacit approval of a native, "urban" Brooklynite. The kids call this "street cred"

Jay-Z begins to abandon ship, meanwhile, your 2012-13 Atlantic Division champions are the New York Knickerbockers. First division title since 1993-94, 13-consecutive wins, 51 total thus far, magic number to clinch the #2 seed is three.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

wM2lzea.png

I'm just surprised anyone from ESPN picked the Clippers to win the Pacific. B)

I disbelieve that "Israel Gutierrez" is a real person.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So the Suns just lost a game to the Rockets due to Jermaine O'Neal goaltending on what SHOULD have been a missed 3-pointer by James Harden at the buzzer. Unbelievable.

LOOOOOOOOOL SUNS

How do you lose on a buzzer-beating goaltend? Like I get they're tanking, but still.

Something like this happened to the Bulls a few days ago. Kendall Gill got in such a heated argument over it during a commercial break on the postgame show that he punched his co-host in the face and got fired.

http://www.netsdaily...f-brooklyn-nets

I do not know what is funnier, that Jay-Z's share is only worth $355,000 dollars or that it is a 1/3 of the value that he paid to buy it.

It was pure marketing move to even have him as an owner in the first place.

He gets to say he's an NBA owner, the Nets can say they have Jay-Z as an owner. There was no financial investment from either side to the other beyond that.

I don't think Jay-Z wants to do anything more then hang out with players and make some money process. Problem is there really isn't a lot of money to be had as a minority owner. Next best option is to be a sports agent or an owner of a sports agency firm which is what he's going to do now.

I think its really bad news for the Nets. They're losing a huge marketing and free agent tool that they basically were keeping around for nothing. They're always going to be an attractive destination for free agents, but having Jay-Z around was a drum that the Nets could bang that no other team in the NBA could.

Its unknown what if any effect not having Jay-Z around will have long term because his input is unmeasurable, but for starters I think it knocks them out of the Howard sweepstakes. They were going to have a hard time getting the cash together anyway, but I think Jay-Z one of the guys behind the scenes working to get Howard to Brooklyn and now that he's gone, I don't think your going to see the same willingness from the Nets to move heaven and earth to get him as they seemingly were willing to do last year.

LOOOOOOOOOL SUNS

How do you lose on a buzzer-beating goaltend? Like I get they're tanking, but still.

Something like this happened to the Bulls a few days ago. Kendall Gill got in such a heated argument over it during a commercial break on the postgame show that he punched his co-host in the face and got fired.

It was Tim Doyle who I believe works for BTN and is an ass. And Gill only got suspended for the rest of this Bulls season. I think Mark Giangreco tweeted that Gill should have been given a raise for punching Doyle.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wish Jay-Z all the best as he goes from rapping about owning a sports team he didn't really own to rapping about a running a talent agency he doesn't actually run. He's not a businessman, he's a business, man!!!!!!!!

Jay-Z was basically there as little more than a human prop so that Bruce Ratner and Mikhail Prokhorov could run roughshod over the neighborhood in creating an engine of upmarket commerce with the tacit approval of a native, "urban" Brooklynite. The kids call this "street cred"

He's the Kevin Costner of pro basketball ownership.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived