New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

I have a friend who produces Rockets and Astros games for TV and we were shooting the breeze over a couple of beers and he said he saw the uniforms about three weeks ago. I quote: "They are extreeeeeemly booooring." I pressed him for details but he's not a uniform guy. All he could say was they had plenty of orange and blue.

That sounds in line with everything that was said about the uniforms over the summer, and what could be determined from the leaked image.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as the pinstripes are gone and the brick red and sand colors are history then I'm all for the simplistic unis with a large splash of old school blue and orange. Around here blue and orange apparel never went away even during the continuous years in the playoffs minute maid would always be filled with rainbow gut jerseys and the H star logo hats blue and orange.

Current hollow star > Clip art star

By a country mile.

This idea that the clasic star is somehow "clip-art" is pretty dumb. In fact, that design predates the concept of clip art.

If anything, you've got it backwards... The H-star doesn't look like clip art, clip art looks like the H-star. That's how clip art works... take a classic design, and make a generic verson of it, because its just that iconic and people will want to copy it.

That's why you'd never have to worry about a clip art version of the hollow star... why would anybody want a version of that?

The current and 90's star are the perfect logos for a team named after the space program.

By comparison, The H star logo looks like something I'd wake up with in the morning tattooed it on my face after a rough night of drinking.

So... you have poor taste in logo design, AND a drinking problem?

A. I would hardly call the H-star "iconic". It's far from that. I think if you went around and asked people, I doubt most people would be able to identify it or associate it with the Houston Astros (at least outside of Texas). It combines a letter in the most generic block font and the most cookie cutter, generic looking star possible, almost by definition "clipart". The hollow star, while not at the same "iconic" level as the Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc., is unmistakably Houston Astros, and actually took some creativity and effort to make, rather than just sticking a generic block letter in front of a star and calling it a day.

B. No, he just has (gasp!) different taste in logos than you, which, last time I checked, was allowed. Just because someone has a different opinion than you doesn't mean that they have "poor taste".

No, I get that. It was a joke...he mentioned having a rough night of drinking... see what I did there? Not brilliant comedy, I admit, but obvously a joke, I would've thought.

And I'm not saying the H-star is Yankees / Dodgers iconic, I'm just saying it's pretty silly to call it clip art considering it is a logo that predates clip-art, that in fact is the sort of straight forward, letter-plus-symbol image that a lot of logo clip art was designed to imitate.

I'll say it again. Thje H-star doesn't look like clip art... clip art looks like the H-star. Its a subtle distinction, but it makes sense.

I never said it was clip art, I said it was ugly.

I don't think that's accurate. I could understand someone thinking it's boring (I would disagree, but I could understand it), but not ugly. It's a block H over a standard star. Not ugly, really.

Also I think people (the anti-H star crowd mostly) need to chill out for now. It's been reported that they aren't going back to the original version, they're updating it.

Is it so much to ask that people wait until they actually see the new logo before decrying the return of "clip art"?

I could see the Texan's blue with Volunteer Orange......

Astros-Mix.png

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Nope, it's you. That's definitely a very dark blue.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Astros-Mix.png

I forget where I mentioned this before, but both of the stars (open and "H") could co-exist, though "Volunteer orange" would absolutely not work. Way too pale and, more importantly, misses the opportunity to utilize a variation of the other -- closer -- UT's "burnt orange". Further, it's kind of a bridge from the brick to the mutant 70s orange (which is what they have apparently decided on).

Oh and the dark navy? Yeah, maybe that's just paying homage to "Rice Owl blue".

I'm beginning to wonder if the silhouetted image found on the Astros site (as exposed on Page 1 of this thread) is really the uniform they're unveiling on Nov. 2. Did they plant it to get the natives restless or is it a careless move by a graphic designer? Knowing the Astros, probably the latter.

Astros-Mix.png

This is exactly what they need to do.

These are sharp BUT I just don't care for this version of the star. Having started my career in sports design back in 1993, this type of star was clip art for sports design in the 90s. Whereas a regular star is probably more generic and more widely used, it doesn't have the stigma of being tied to specific period of time that wasn't a heyday for sports looks. Just me?

I'm beginning to wonder if the silhouetted image found on the Astros site (as exposed on Page 1 of this thread) is really the uniform they're unveiling on Nov. 2. Did they plant it to get the natives restless or is it a careless move by a graphic designer? Knowing the Astros, probably the latter.

I vote latter, since it jibs with everything that has been rumored about the uniforms before that pic appeared.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Astros-Mix.png

These are sharp BUT I just don't care for this version of the star. Having started my career in sports design back in 1993, this type of star was clip art for sports design in the 90s. Whereas a regular star is probably more generic and more widely used, it doesn't have the stigma of being tied to specific period of time that wasn't a heyday for sports looks. Just me?

Nicely stated and I totally agree with Hawk36's assessment. The design is a direct product of the 90s.

Astros-Mix.png

Nicely stated and I totally agree with Hawk36's assessment. The design is a direct product of the 90s.

But their new (or should I say old) logo is a direct product of the 70s. It's better to take steps forward than to take steps back.

Archived