New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

Just what we need, yet another navy team in baseball. :rolleyes:

And just what we need, another person saying the same thing that's been said a thousand times before. Due to the fact that the Astros had navy for all but the last 13 or so years of their 59 seasons of existence, they don't really qualify as just another team adding navy.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess another thing that bugs me (besides the move to the AL) is that the drastic move to brick and "classic" [generic] baseball script uniforms nearly 13 years ago was intended to last a lifetime. They introduced pinstripes. The look was a "forced" classic, but it never looked dated. It worked as a great baseball set in general -- though one could argue it could be the look of just about any team.

Everything was meant to be classic, complete with the move to Enron, and they succeeded...until the team started losing. Now it's just change for the sake of change.

I actually liked seeing the team in pinstripes -- it was, and still is, rare for teams to have them (what, about six or seven teams left in pinstripes?). Why the uproar of another team going with blue/red/whatever, and not that there's now one less team in the 'stripes?

I guess another thing that bugs me (besides the move to the AL) is that the drastic move to brick and "classic" [generic] baseball script uniforms nearly 13 years ago was intended to last a lifetime. They introduced pinstripes. The look was a "forced" classic, but it never looked dated. It worked as a great baseball set in general -- though one could argue it could be the look of just about any team.

Everything was meant to be classic, complete with the move to Enron, and they succeeded...until the team started losing. Now it's just change for the sake of change.

I actually liked seeing the team in pinstripes -- it was, and still is, rare for teams to have them (what, about six or seven teams left in pinstripes?). Why the uproar of another team going with blue/red/whatever, and not that there's now one less team in the 'stripes?

I completely disagree...the astros redesign was a completely forced and contrived faux vintage look that was a complete departure from their history...it was an abject disaster from day 1.

the shooting star was by far their best design and they should've never gone away from it.

I completely disagree...the astros redesign was a completely forced and contrived faux vintage look that was a complete departure from their history...it was an abject disaster from day 1.

the shooting star was by far their best design and they should've never gone away from it.

I think you're talking about the shooting star of the 90s? I loved it back then -- it worked for the 90s. I, too, wasn't fond of the change to the more "rigid" look of the past 13 years at first, but I'd say it had staying power whereas the 90s one just didn't. Obviously there will be some disagreement about that among folks here.

I think the team tried a little too hard to push a faux classic look before the 2000 season (complete with about a half-dozen uniforms and a Bagwell beard), but the options were unique. They probably could've stuck with a single home white uniform, a road, and a single alternate (I preferred the short-lived open star black uniform over the all-brick). And the script (especially with the navy font on the home uniform) was definitely my least favorite aspect. I think the general design could've worked longer had they gone with block lettering of some sort.

But, that's irrelevant starting in three weeks.

That's why the first shooting-star uniforms were so genius. They were clearly Space Age while fitting in with a baseball aesthetic.

Rather the opposite of the 1990s look in that regard.

...and looked hokey and terrible. Not that the 90s look was good, mind you. Are the Astros to baseball what the Canucks are to hockey?

hmmm. If I had to say any baseball team were analogous with the Cancuks, I'd go with the Padres. They've both had what's felt like half a dozen looks that were all radically different from one another and it'll be even more true when the Padres eventually revert back to their original colors (as the Canucks have recently done).

The Astros are more like, say, the Buffalo Sabres. They both had their own looks for the first 3 decades or so, experimented with a major color scheme change, and then reverted back to their original colors.

PvO6ZWJ.png

These were the best uniforms the Astros wore IMO:

63-10905-J.jpg

The racing stripes were nice, but the star just looks slapped on. Had they gone the way of the shooting star jerseys and conveyed motion or simply put a number there instead, I might agree with you.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

That's why the first shooting-star uniforms were so genius. They were clearly Space Age while fitting in with a baseball aesthetic.

...and looked hokey and terrible. Not that the 90s look was good, mind you. Are the Astros to baseball what the Canucks are to hockey?

hmmm. If I had to say any baseball team were analogous with the Cancuks, I'd go with the Padres. They've both had what's felt like half a dozen looks that were all radically different from one another and it'll be even more true when the Padres eventually revert back to their original colors (as the Canucks have recently done).

The Astros are more like, say, the Buffalo Sabres. They both had their own looks for the first 3 decades or so, experimented with a major color scheme change, and then reverted back to their original colors.

I guess what I meant is that Vancouver's never really looked good; Houston seems to be on that same track.

(Unrelated: I still miss the Padres' road khakis.)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Current set wasn't terrible, there was just a bunch of little things that were bothersome. And I hated the pinstripes. The white alts were really nice though. And yeah they experimented a lot it seemed when thy first introduced them. I think they had a few black alts and I know they had another white alt with a star. That was nice too,

If there is a "colorful" Bp jersey is there any chance it doesn't follow the dumb templates that currently exist and it looks something like the 80's jerseys pictured above? That would be awesome.

Does anyone know the colors and know if red and yellow are listed as secondary colors?

1. Colt .45s

2. Shooting Star

3. Rainbows

4. Navy & Gold Modern Shooting Star

5. Black & Brick Western Train Theme

6. Boring Block Letters in Orange and Blue

I dunno. I'd say the comparison works pretty well for the Astros. That said, you'd be correct that the Padres probably have an equally strong claim to it.

:cursing: They didn't wear navy originally.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Anyway, all the new uniform needs to do is look good

No, it also needs to actually reflect the team name and be unique from the rest of the league, and even from the tiny bit of the uniform we've been able to see so far, the Astros' uniform set fails epically on both counts.

No, infrared is more correct. Not every uniform HAS to express it's nickname exactly. The Astros do not HAVE to be unique from everyone else. As long as they look good, appropriate for their team name without having to go overboard and their fans approve, then that's all.

Anyway, all the new uniform needs to do is look good

No, it also needs to actually reflect the team name and be unique from the rest of the league, and even from the tiny bit of the uniform we've been able to see so far, the Astros' uniform set fails epically on both counts.

No, infrared is more correct. Not every uniform HAS to express it's nickname exactly. The Astros do not HAVE to be unique from everyone else. As long as they look good, appropriate for their team name without having to go overboard and their fans approve, then that's all.

Regardless of all that...they need to reflect the tradition and history of the team (especially important in baseball with its century+ history). And that's exactly what the last set failed to do.

Sometimes I see love for uniforms that really clash with teams' traditions, like the Iverson era Sixers, maybe this most recent Astros set; to a mild extent blue/green Brewers, blue/gold shooting star Astros; I am having trouble thinking of more, but perhaps theoretically: Browns with a helmet logo. Many of these looks are nice in a vacuum, but are awful to me in the context of team history. I speculate that fans of these looks are more fans of uniform design on its own - but perhaps less a fan of sports and sports history themselves! OR, perhaps fans more used to different culture, like radically redesigned british soccer kits and clash kits ?

Just what we need, yet another navy team in baseball. :rolleyes:

And just what we need, another person saying the same thing that's been said a thousand times before. Due to the fact that the Astros had navy for all but the last 13 or so years of their 59 seasons of existence, they don't really qualify as just another team adding navy.

It still doesn't make it an untrue statement, does it? It doesn't matter how long they wore navy it still doesn't change the fact that there are way too many teams in MLB with navy as a color.

These were the best uniforms the Astros wore IMO:

63-10905-J.jpg

100% agree. Just the right amount of flair. Just the right amount of modern. So well done and fitting for the Astros name (unlike their current look).

absolutely! best look for them. I wish they would stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just bring these back.

Well, if not navy, at least a fairly dark blue.

If they didn't wear the Rangers' shade, it was just a bit darker. Regardless, it's a pet peeve of mine when people say navy is an "update" of royal blue and act as if they Sabres returned to their true colors.

Heck - even the Gold was different:

BuffaloSabres_FRC_1996_SCC_SRGB.png

BuffaloSabres_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

I think baseball is the last sport in which you have to relate your team name to the uniforms. Should the Yankees switch to red pinstripes and add star trimming? Should the tigers add tiger stripes? Personally I don't think so, save that for the minor leagues. I'm pumped from what I've seen and can't wait until the 2nd!

Bad example. Those teams have classic and iconic looks that have been around for over 75 years. The Astros have no such look that they would be committing sacrilege to change in favor of something that reflects the team name better.

Archived