New Houston Astros Uniforms

JustABallCoach

Yep. That's just a throwback.

I could definitely be wrong, but I haven't seen that hat in that section of Lids before for some reason. I also don't remember seeing the current Astros hats up at the store.

Whether I'm wrong or not, I just wanted mention what I saw.

• Replies 726
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not "could", you ARE wrong. Even the ad on the site shows it with other throwback caps. It's exactly what they wore and the new ones are said to have a different font. As mentioned, they wore it this past season on flashback Fridays in celebration of their 50th Anniversary and that is why it's in the authentic section. Why you haven't seen it before or why your store didn't have it out sooner, I don't know. But that is definitely and old cap.

They probably don't have the soon to be old Astros hat at the store because they already sold out their stock and aren't planning on buying any more of them since they're changing in a month.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Part of me thinks that going full retro is not a very good idea, because that means that they are going to completely throw away the great hollow Star logo that they had...

The H-Star logo is very old looking. A crappy replacement, IMO.

Important only because they won a pennant in them.

But the design is awful, and should have even scrapped years ago. Overly fussy script, severe mismatch with the team name, and no actual primary logo.

The only good thing about the still-current set is the chainstiched word mark.

Current hollow star > Clip art star

By a country mile.

This idea that the clasic star is somehow "clip-art" is pretty dumb. In fact, that design predates the concept of clip art.

If anything, you've got it backwards... The H-star doesn't look like clip art, clip art looks like the H-star. That's how clip art works... take a classic design, and make a generic verson of it, because its just that iconic and people will want to copy it.

That's why you'd never have to worry about a clip art version of the hollow star... why would anybody want a version of that?

By a country mile.

This idea that the clasic star is somehow "clip-art" is pretty dumb. In fact, that design predates the concept of clip art.

If anything, you've got it backwards... The H-star doesn't look like clip art, clip art looks like the H-star. That's how clip art works... take a classic design, and make a generic verson of it, because its just that iconic and people will want to copy it.

That's why you'd never have to worry about a clip art version of the hollow star... why would anybody want a version of that?

The current and 90's star are the perfect logos for a team named after the space program.

By comparison, The H star logo looks like something I'd wake up with in the morning tattooed it on my face after a rough night of drinking.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

By a country mile.

The current and 90's star are the perfect logos for a team named after the space program.

By comparison, The H star logo looks like something I'd wake up with in the morning tattooed it on my face after a rough night of drinking.

So... you have poor taste in logo design, AND a drinking problem?

One nice thing about the return to orange: A bit of city synchronicity with the Houston Dynamo. Wish more cities would follow Pittsburgh's lead in declaring a set of colors.

Speak for yourself. I like having my teams have their own identities.

spacer.png

For all this talk with the Astros about retro vs. modern vs. retro modern - maybe part of the problem, from a designer's point of view, is that the nickname itself is kinda "dated", not as in "out of date" or "old", but simply in that "Astros" sounds like something out of the late 1950s/early 1960s. Can't think of a great sports comparison, but it's just like when you hear the word "Tory" or "Tories" in the U.S.; and your mind goes back to the British loyalists during the American Revolution. It's a term of its time and birthplace.

I guess that is my way of saying that modern retro is probably the best way to go -- not necessarily the mainly traditionalist route that the rumored design seems to be.

Archived