2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Along with the alt cap being crappy and unccessary, this will in all likelihood give us another instance of a team with mismatched caps and batting helmets. I doubt the Mets will pop for the extra set of batting helmets to be worn with those caps, so when the Mets wear them, you will only be able to tell in the top half of innings. Two different looks depending on if the team is batting or pitching. That's sloppy and inexcusable. Batting helmets are supposed to be nothing more than protective hats. They should look identical to the hats, and if the teams don't want to pay for extra helmets, they shouldn't wear alternate hats.

What makes you say that? Since the start of the black jersey era, they've always had matching helmets for each cap...

First off, no they haven't. From 2007 or so until 2011, the black helmets had gradient where the bill and crown were blue and faded into black. Either way, I am guessing they wont order a second set of caps just because both caps have blue crowns, and the difference is not a stark as wearing a blue cap with a black helmet. Generally, teams have a second set of batting helmets to match both caps when they are different color crowns (such as the Cardinals red and navy). However, many teams just say "to hell with it" when only the brim is contrasting. The A's stopped wearing solid green road batting helmets a few years back (and their logo is different on each cap). The Red wear a black brim on the road but use solid red helmets. The Twins wear solid navy helmets with their road caps. The Indians wear navy helmets with their red caps. The Braves wear their normal home helmets with their terrible tomahawk caps. The Astros wore black helmets with their old red caps.The Giants wear solid black helmets with their orange-brimmed caps.

Maybe the Mets buck that trend, but I imagine them saying "eh, close enough" and not ordering a second set of batting helmet just because the brim is a different color and the logo has an outline, particularly when these caps will presumably be worn 15-20 times a season.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Does it look good? Yes, it's a great-looking cap.

Is it necessary? Absolutely not.

This would make a great fashion or even BP cap. However, considering how classic their primary cap is, this is just unnecessary. Provided they only wear it maybe 15-20 times a year, I'm OK with it, but I'd hate to see it be worn any more than that.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

With this cap, if it is worn with the blue home alternate, it fits perfectly; however, I now feel the piping is out of place. Wordmark, number, NOB, cap logo are now orange outlined in white; the piping is only orange, which would be inconsistent with everything else, and should be white/orange/white . On the other side, to be consistent, the Mets could have used their primary hat, left the piping as just orange, and lost the outline on the wordmark, number, and NOB.

The cap is lovely (and also unnecessary), but the primary is better. I feel like I need to see all elments of the uniform to see if I like it with this inconsistency.

If they have to have an alternate cap, they got it right, but their primary should be seen 162 games a year.

The piping does not have to perfectly mimic the cap logo and wordmark coloring. It being orange alone works. The cap logo on the primary cap being orange with not outline still looks perfectly fine with the orange lettering outlined in white on the jersey. No orange bill on the cap does not mean there is not enough orange or the look is unbalanced.

Too many people here think everything always has to exactly match up in every way. Sometimes, such as the Mets primary cap with the new home alt or even either of the A's caps with either of they're alts, they look just right even if the coloring is not exactly the same with every object in the design.

sorry if someone already said this, but could this be one of the new BP hats?

Moreover can someone in the know address this. I've heard that there were no longer going to be BP hats but others have said there were gonna be "5950 BP hats". To me this could perhaps mean they may use the guise of the BP 5950 to add an official on field 5950 for every team some of which may chose to wear it as an alternate, some just for batting practice and maybe even some for nothing at all.

mets.png

Archived