2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

Is it weird that as traditionalist as I am on baseball uniforms, with preferring no vests, no white/grey caps, cities on all road greys, that I do like the idea of practice caps and slightly out-of-the-box practice jerseys? I actually like the piping and side panels as ways to show off the color palettes and to differentiate from in-game alternates. And logos like the A with the tomahawk as a crossbar and single cardinal on a bat are nice, as long as they're kept out of games that count.

I think that its weird to be a traditionalist and be against things that ARE very old customs that just went away for a while. Red Sox had a white cap for the first 30 years of their history. Yankees had a white pintriped cap in the 1910's. Cincinnati Reds had vests going back to the 50's. Not trying to single you out but sometimes I think its odd when people say traditionalist they really are just picking an arbitrary time in history to start counting as the beginning. For example, you might be a calling yourself a traditionalist because you prefer the styles of the 1960s... but there was 100 years of tradition before that. /rant

I'm assuming I'm in agreement with you when it comes to styles, I'm just commenting on using the word "traditional" I think what we both probably like are styles that don't veer too off from something that seems timeless. Don't give into fads. Design a logo/uniform that would look good decades ago, but still can look modern if it needs to be.

Mets, Dodgers, Red Sox (home), teams like that I feel pull this off really well. Their uniforms are clean, colorful, less-is-more... And I can see them wearing them forever if they needed to.. but they don't look outdated like some teams can (dare I say Yankees? -- even as a huge fan sometimes I worry their uniforms are really bland)

Yankees roads? Yes. Homes? No. They're classic and untouchable. I think the Mariners are an example of a simple, classic esque, yet modern look that can stay as is through many years. The home can be changed to a teal bill and such, but overall, the set fits perfectly. Though personally I'd like to see them switch the teal to a true northwest green.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always disagree with people who suggest the Mariners should go with a northwest green. The teal looks incredible and it unique. Also, the uniforms are dark enough as is, particularly with them wearing navy caps full-time (other than with alts). If they changed the teal to northwest green, it would make the look more drab and the green would blend with the navy.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I'm more concerned that the Los Rojos jersey's black-white-black piping will sneak into the red alternate (which I already dislike especially now that it has moved from Sunday home jersey to day game home jersey).

The Reds are a Red-white-black team right now. I don't want them to go back to being a red-black-white team. If that makes any sense.

I have the same concerns, those late 90's/early 2000's jerseys where they were wearing the black t shirts under their vests were hideous.

72477573_display_image.jpg?1292685396

Also, the Los does have a black drop shadow on the actual jersey as you can see.

rojos.jpg

i cant believe how bad the replica jerseys look since majestic switched to the giant patch. it looks extremely tacky as one big patch and the added outline because of the patch and it cuts off piping/ pinstripes on jerseys.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

The Mariners' uniforms are getting a little stale to me. Usually I appreciate continuity, but linking the glory days of the Mariners, such as they were, with whatever this limping ball of mange is just makes me kinda sad. It's not pressing that they change them, but if they can draw up some new art while keeping the same nice color scheme, I think I'm ready.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Mariners' uniforms are getting a little stale to me. Usually I appreciate continuity, but linking the glory days of the Mariners, such as they were, with whatever this limping ball of mange is just makes me kinda sad. It's not pressing that they change them, but if they can draw up some new art while keeping the same nice color scheme, I think I'm ready.

I've never heard so much hate for the current M's unis in such a short paragraph. While I do have a couple of tweaks in mind for them (teal bill cap at home full time, a return to the 1999-2000 road alt), I claim, with some admitted bias of course, that their set is about as timeless as it gets. Certainly interesting to hear a differing opinion though.

I seem to recall a concept from awhile back that kept the same colors intact, while incorporating a revised trident logo as well as the face of Poseidon. Anyone familiar with this?

Also, as for the Pirates' unveiling: I feel like there had to have been someone, somewhere who happened to transcribe some info on the new BP cap during the ceremony. Surely they mentioned at the unveiling some brief details about its construction and possibly its availability?

From San Berdoo to Kalamazoo.

I've never heard so much hate for the current M's unis in such a short paragraph.

lol, that's not even hate! My real problem is with how much the team has sucked! It's a good enough design, better than a lot of more modern stuff, but it's showing its age a little, y'know? Not a lot of early '90s stuff is still around. If someone can make the right design, I'd be okay with it, that's all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I believe I stumbled on a leak of the new BP caps for the 2013 season. I'm not sure anyone else saw it, but on the Hatclub website over the past couple of weeks, they were offering a different (new?) style of BP caps for a few teams - A's, Giants, Rangers, Pirates, and a few others. The hats were shown as New Era 5950's in mesh. From what I recall, for the Giants, there were 2 styles (solid black, black with orange bill), both with a script "G" as was used a few years ago on the BP cap. For the A's, they showed the elephant head wearing shades which was also used a few years ago, on a solid black cap. I originally thought they might have been retro-re creations, but now believe what I saw was a leak, since none of the hats are available any more, and I seriously doubt every one of them sold out. Hatclub usually leaves sold-out models on the site and indicated as such. Other comments or observations?

I believe I stumbled on a leak of the new BP caps for the 2013 season. I'm not sure anyone else saw it, but on the Hatclub website over the past couple of weeks, they were offering a different (new?) style of BP caps for a few teams - A's, Giants, Rangers, Pirates, and a few others. The hats were shown as New Era 5950's in mesh. From what I recall, for the Giants, there were 2 styles (solid black, black with orange bill), both with a script "G" as was used a few years ago on the BP cap. For the A's, they showed the elephant head wearing shades which was also used a few years ago, on a solid black cap. I originally thought they might have been retro-re creations, but now believe what I saw was a leak, since none of the hats are available any more, and I seriously doubt every one of them sold out. Hatclub usually leaves sold-out models on the site and indicated as such. Other comments or observations?

If you're refereing to these caps on the hatclub site than you're looking at remakes of the late 90's bp caps or at least attempting to as the Oakland A's bp cap was all green. Product-28131.jpg

Product-28128.jpgProduct-28143.jpg

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Thanks for posting some pics. However, in reference to your notation:

"If you're refereing to these caps on the hatclub site than you're looking at remakes of the late 90's bp caps or at least attempting to as the Oakland A's bp cap was all green."

That's what I first thought, but when a product is pulled suddenly, it makes me think someone made them retract it, much like what happened when the new Astros gear went up prematurely (i.e. before the press release). Also, there are no other current New Era caps with that same mesh material as shown on the pics, nor is it the same as the original mesh of the 90's, particularly for the A's and Giants caps. And while these may not be exactly the new BP caps, new ones are definitely on the way soon, since the MLB shop is blowing out their current inventory.

Kinda wish MLB would have released the new BP caps before Christmas. I mean, they're all about making money, right? I even emailed the folks at the MLB.com Shop division to see if they could give me a definite answer on when the new caps will be available. Unfortunately I received a somewhat generic answer stating that they "do not have the ability to view the inventory (they) will carry in the future." I'm really curious to see what they will look like, so needless to say I will be watching the MLB.com shop like a hawk.

On a somewhat related note, anyone heard anything regarding the Rays' new cap?

I feel like typically all teams have their new looks released by Christmas. What teams are we still waiting on?

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Hatclub has brought back the BP caps that I stated had been suddenly removed from their website. I did notice this go-round, that the hats are void of the New Era logos on the side of the hats, which is uncommon for newer, non-authentic New Era caps. Is that of any significance?

Hatclub has brought back the BP caps that I stated had been suddenly removed from their website. I did notice this go-round, that the hats are void of the New Era logos on the side of the hats, which is uncommon for newer, non-authentic New Era caps. Is that of any significance?

Let me get this straight. Are you talking about the mesh-style BP caps like the ones worn in the late 90s-early 2000s? Because if so, those only appear for a few teams (White Sox, Giants, A's, Reds, Yankees, Rangers and Angels to be exact), and to my knowledge they were up this whole time for at least the past few days.

If you are talking about something completely different...then dang, they must be pretty quick at withdrawing those things. Excuse my solicitation, but bigger teases can only be found in the Babe of the Week thread of the Lounge. :lol:

I've always thought the star/trident/M would look fantastic in the current colour scheme.

Let me get this straight. Are you talking about the mesh-style BP caps like the ones worn in the late 90s-early 2000s? Because if so, those only appear for a few teams (White Sox, Giants, A's, Reds, Yankees, Rangers and Angels to be exact), and to my knowledge they were up this whole time for at least the past few days.

If you are talking about something completely different...then dang, they must be pretty quick at withdrawing those things. Excuse my solicitation, but bigger teases can only be found in the Babe of the Week thread of the Lounge. :lol:

Just cause I'm a little confused, this is a rerelease and not the new batting practice cap?

20-22070-MediumImage.jpg

The only reason I ask is because somebody else told me the new batting practice hats were popping up on HatClub and I just want to make sure.

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask, but is there a color difference in the 2013 Pirates throwback compared to when they wore it a few years ago for a weekend? I have an American Needle 1971 reproduction and you can still find some of the ones from a few years ago on the shelfs in some stores. I just wanted to know if there's a real difference or should I purchase a new one (to go with the new Cutch jersey I just bought)? Also, is the MLB tag on the back different from the one a few years back? Thanks. My AN hat looks a little "off brown" and the lids/MLB shop picture looks a little "off yellow."

My AN hat http://www.flickr.com/photos/56898341@N07/5981337005/in/photostream

Lids http://www.lids.com/MLB/Pittsburgh-Pirates/20489862

My yellow (wish they'd use) fashion hat for comparison http://www.flickr.com/photos/56898341@N07/6012080244/in/photostream

KISSwall09.jpg

That's a reproduction, and a poor one at that. The real caps had a metallic brim like the Astros' mid-'90s alternate cap.

I know the Astros' gold brim was metallic but I thought the brims on those White Sox 90s BP caps was just a flat gray?

If anything, the error I noticed in that Sox reproduction was the different mesh structure. The mesh material used in the repro has holes in straight alignment with one another, whereas the actual ones had more of an alternating pattern. Hard to describe in words, but something similar to how brick walls are done in an overlapping pattern to add strength to the structure.

Archived