2013 MLB Logo and Uniform Changes

TheOldRoman

I loved the Pirates' vest uniforms originally, but it was time to retire them. Around 2004 or 2005, Majestic messed up the vests. Instead of actual vests, with shorter shoulders, they just took the sleeves off regular jerseys. Look how sloppy the shoulders look above. This is how vests used to, and should look over the shoulders:

Roberto%2520Clemente%25203.jpg

If they made the vests like this, then yes. But so far Majestic has not shown the ability to make a proper one, so until then, leave the primaries alone save for a new sleeve patch.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that number font makes the wordmark stand out more. I really think you can dilute a great font by using it all over.

Also, the pinstriped road uniforms were IMO one of the worst uniforms in recent memory. I don't like pinstripes on gray to begin with, but I can sorta get it if your home uniform has them. To just arbitrarily add them to the road uniform (along with a script used nowhere else) just made them look like a totally different club.

The script is nice on its own, and maybe for an alt (yellow on black, or black on yellow) it would work well, but it's in no way superior to their current road jersey wordmark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 10/7/2013 at 4:39 PM, TheOldRoman said:
On 10/7/2013 at 2:54 PM, BrianLion said:

Still prefer this pirate

maybe it's because he's Clooney-esque :blush:

Actually, it looks like Kramer. If the Pirates are going with a roundrel, that sucks. I think having a pirate logo is good for their identity. And it's not like it would displace the P on caps. It would be dumb not to have one.

I think it looks like Mel Gibson.

That logo screams 1980s to me. And the face tries a bit too hard to be realistic. I am OK with a pirate logo, but not this one.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Looking back further, I'm not sure that Russell Athletic was much better with their vess. Their vests weren't nearly as sloppy, but they the shoulders were still wider than in the above photo.

Anyway, I couldn't remember when vests changed. But looking at pictures of the 2001 Diamondbacks, it appears you're correct that Majestic has never made a proper vest. Their style of vest looks sloppy, so I'm glad the Pirates dropped it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Looking back further, I'm not sure that Russell Athletic was much better with their vess. Their vests weren't nearly as sloppy, but they the shoulders were still wider than in the above photo.

Anyway, I couldn't remember when vests changed. But looking at pictures of the 2001 Diamondbacks, it appears you're correct that Majestic has never made a proper vest. Their style of vest looks sloppy, so I'm glad the Pirates dropped it.

Russel vests were more tapered than Majestic, but it wasn't perfect:

25329a_lg.jpeg

larkin-gant.jpg

1997-home-vest5.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Still prefer this pirate

7xkp9hnp9jq11e1zia4tdcqjh.gif

maybe it's because he's Clooney-esque :blush:

Actually, it looks like Kramer. If the Pirates are going with a roundrel, that sucks. I think having a pirate logo is good for their identity. And it's not like it would displace the P on caps. It would be dumb not to have one.

I think it looks like Mel Gibson.

That logo screams 1980s to me. And the face tries a bit too hard to be realistic. I am OK with a pirate logo, but not this one.

This came to mind for me when I saw that logo...

524259-120906-biz-getting-fired-fast-tim

25329a_lg.jpeg

larkin-gant.jpg

1997-home-vest5.jpg

Man I love the vest look, 2/3 of those teams definitely downgraded when they got rid of the vests and I'm not talking about the Mariners

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

25329a_lg.jpeg

larkin-gant.jpg

1997-home-vest5.jpg

Man I love the vest look, 2/3 of those teams definitely downgraded when they got rid of the vests and I'm not talking about the Mariners

oakland-as-green-yellow-throwback-unifor

Several years ago, Nike (as part of its "MLB Ligature" series) came up with this logo, which isn't too bad:

153203061_nike-pittsburgh-pirates-black-

The Pirates have used that skull as a secondary logo in the past, it was rarely seen, however. I would prefer a skull be used in the new 2014 logo, but unsure if the marketing types would deem it too family unfriendly. Disagree with that opinion, have seen a skull used in youth football leagues for teams named Bucs and Pirates.

Several years ago, Nike (as part of its "MLB Ligature" series) came up with this logo, which isn't too bad:

153203061_nike-pittsburgh-pirates-black-

The Pirates have used that skull as a secondary logo in the past, it was rarely seen, however. I would prefer a skull be used in the new 2014 logo, but unsure if the marketing types would deem it too family unfriendly. Disagree with that opinion, have seen a skull used in youth football leagues for teams named Bucs and Pirates.

Any critic who thinks the pirate skull is family-unfriendly needs to go to Anaheim or Orlando, pay for admission to the appropriate Disney theme park, and see how much Pirates of the Caribbean merchandise they push. Whatever your opinion of the films or Johnny Depp, you cannot deny Disney figured out a way to successfully sell pirates.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived